What memorabilia do you keep?

Eglesbrech

The new V&A museum in Dundee,s first exhibition is “Ocean Liners, Speed and Style”. For cruise enthusiasts it’s well worth a visit.

P&Os is not the most heavily featured line however there are some items and information on display. The chairs from the dining room for example were beautifully carved and the water jugs a heavy silver coloured metal with elegant handles and lids. Everything looked solid and well made.

New ships have their own charm but seeing the fixtures and fittings, menus, clothing etc from a bygone era was fascinating.

I used to keep lots of odd bits and pieces from the days that tickets came in motiffed wallets, the menus to take home in printed covers and the ships log was on decent paper with lots of detail,  not just a quick photocopy, not so much more recently.

Does anyone have anything squirrelled away in the attic that would be of interest to cruisers in 50 years time?

From our first ever cruise on Canberra (early 1990s) we kept pretty much everything - Horizon newsletters, tour tickets, menus....

Same for our second cruise in 1994 on Sea Princess/Victoria.

Since we resumed cruising in 2011 I don't really keep anything, I think hubby keeps some items (menus, Horizons) but he's a hoarder and I'm on a constant mission to declutter! :classic_rolleyes:

I always keep the copy of the ships log.  I used to keep menus and a few copies of the "Horizon"

Have binned the menus (I keep one newish copy )and don't bother to take the current ones home unless I know of someone who is interested and thinking of trying a cruise, same for the "Horizon"

PS we're not all miserable, moaning whingers I find that insulting and not called for!!

Not quite sure who you think is moaning on this thread. No-one that I can see. Eglesbrech commented on an interesting exhibition she'd been to, which prompted her to ask what souvenirs of their cruises people keep. Most people have commented saying they keep nothing, or now keep less than they used to. No-one has moaned about P&O. :classic_unsure:

41 minutes ago, groovechick said:

Not quite sure who you think is moaning on this thread. No-one that I can see. Eglesbrech commented on an interesting exhibition she'd been to, which prompted her to ask what souvenirs of their cruises people keep. Most people have commented saying they keep nothing, or now keep less than they used to. No-one has moaned about P&O. :classic_unsure:

Sorry but one person has said they "lose" them before the theatre and another leave them in the cabin. They might be not everybody's wish to keep but they could at least have the manners to take them home and then disposing of them.

Come on Engelsbrech, you missed out  the greatest bit of Canberra memorabilia in the V&A exhibition.....the ship’s wheel from the play room!

We really enjoyed the exhibition and thought it well worth a visit. The only problem we found was that much of the exhibition is in semi darkness. We mentioned this to one of the attendants and he said that we weren’t the first to make this comment and that there were large print copies of all of the exhibit labels available. This missed the point that it wasn’t the labels that we couldn’t see it was the text or fine detail on the exhibits themselves. We did have one pair of reading specs with us and managed fine by swapping them as and when necessary. 

It certainly didn’t spoil the exhibition for us but is a point to bear in mind if you are planning a visit.

The V&A Dundee is a very impressive building. If you want to have a meal there ( as opposed to a snack) then you probably need to book. We were quoted 2.5 hour wait for a table. 

What do we keep? The remnant of the hand soap...a tradition as we always loved the smell of the old P&O soap ( it’s not the  same now but as I said, it’s tradition). Usually take the menus home but they aren’t a special as they used to be since they don’t  have the art work on the outside. (I have a modern copy of P& O Pencillings, some of which adorned the lunch menus.)

The ship’s log always gets packed. 

I have a faux leather bound long form wine list from Canberra. It was given by one of the  wine waiters on the second last Canberra cruise. 

Edited by Ranchi

How extraordinary that you can think we are moaners just because we don't want to lug 30 menus home?!   Our cruises are always 17-19 day and I don't want to take home all that paper just to throw it away.  I have enjoyed every one of our cruises and have nothing to complain about at all.

2 hours ago, Ranchi said:

Come on Engelsbrech, you missed out  the greatest bit of Canberra memorabilia in the V&A exhibition.....the ship’s wheel from the play room!

We really enjoyed the exhibition and thought it well worth a visit. The only problem we found was that much of the exhibition is in semi darkness. We mentioned this to one of the attendants and he said that we weren’t the first to make this comment and that there were large print copies of all of the exhibit labels available. This missed the point that it wasn’t the labels that we couldn’t see it was the text or fine detail on the exhibits themselves. We did have one pair of reading specs with us and managed fine by swapping them as and when necessary. 

It certainly didn’t spoil the exhibition for us but is a point to bear in mind if you are planning a visit.

The V&A Dundee is a very impressive building. If you want to have a meal there ( as opposed to a snack) then you probably need to book. We were quoted 2.5 hour wait for a table. 

What do we keep? The remnant of the hand soap...a tradition as we always loved the smell of the old P&O soap ( it’s not the  same now but as I said, it’s tradition). Usually take the menus home but they aren’t a special as they used to be since they don’t  have the art work on the outside. (I have a modern copy of P& O Pencillings, some of which adorned the lunch menus.)

The ship’s log always gets packed. 

I have a faux leather bound long form wine list from Canberra. It was given by one of the  wine waiters on the second last Canberra cruise. 

Edited by Picard

Personally I keep no memorabilia from our cruises and strangely I take very few photos either. Probably because I have a very good memory and don't need anything to remind me. It's something I may regret as being close to 70 I expect my memories will start to fade in the future. If that's the case I will do the cruises again as long as I can remember to book 😊

The only thing we keep is the cruise booklet issued with the luggage labels. I find it useful to look up what dates we were in which port when I am compiling my cruise videos & photo slide shows. Also gives useful information on ships excursions that I can use. You must all come round one evening and watch them.😁😁

Memorabilia, loads. From POSH Club clocks, Posh club silver picture frames and key fobs, Portunus decanters and silver drink mats, Princess crystal champagne flutes embossed with 1989 and others with Princess 25th Anniversary A scupper board from the Victoria, Kungsholm embossed silver plated salt and pepper pots all given to me by the Captain at the end of her last P&O voyage. A box of menus from Victoria’s Union Castle Millennium Voyage, Launch brochures for Oriana, Aurora, Arcadia, the white sisters, Royal Princess, Queen Mary 2, and passenger lists from our early days of cruising.  Oh! so much more memorabilia, much of it beautifully displayed in my study.

• Like 1

I don't bring much home except the bill that's delivered on the last morning and the cruise log. I have an autistic friend who is crazy about cruise ships and he loves to collect the logs. I suppose I also bring home the pen from the cabin though I wouldn't call that memorabilia. 

However I take lots and lots of photos and make a photobook for every cruise. We had lots of rough sea days on our latest cruise so making the book helped fill in the time!!    I usually take photos of the Horizon before I throw them out each day. This helps me with my blog.  I also make a calendar with my favourite photos. 

What about souvenirs from ports? Do you collect things? I've done the usual key-rings, postcards,fridge magnets but we now just one decent painting.

Photo on 11-11-2018 at 1.05 pm.jpg

On 11/10/2018 at 7:22 PM, majortom10 said:

Sorry but one person has said they "lose" them before the theatre and another leave them in the cabin. They might be not everybody's wish to keep but they could at least have the manners to take them home and then disposing of them.

I don't see a link between manners and lugging recycling home with you? 

It is bad manners to push unwanted stuff onto people. 

On 11/10/2018 at 7:22 PM, majortom10 said:

How can it be bad manners if you don't take them home? The chef and waiters will never know. What's the point of loading them in your luggage just to throw them away when you get home. We don't ask for them and at least we have the good manners to accept them from the waiters. However we haven't had them the past couple of times Freedom dining so that's a good thing.

We keep copies of the brochure we get before we travel and stick any excursion stickers to it as a memento. We also keep the menus (but just for a short time) and cruise log. We have kept one set of menus from a waiter and assistant who were amazing and they wrote a lovely message for us on them for us.

We used to keep the daily news thingy me bobs but have since decided to throw them away as a we were awash with them and it was just becoming clutter.

We have some lanyards from our Behind the Scenes Tour last year and, have to admit, we also bring home the shampoo ;-)

Oh and mustn't forget that we store the biscuits and chocolates and bring them home. We then treat ourselves at home to keep the holiday alive.

:-)

I have some menus from Victoria, Oriana and Aurora from 1999-2003 when they were printed with pretty colour covers. I also have a salt and pepper pot from Oceana 2005. I also have a photo of me getting off Aurora in 2003 which because of the positioning and the t shirt I was wearing, reallocates Aurora to the White Star Line!

And lastly, I cherish the copy of Horizon from Azura; I think 2010, from 1st April, with the "water ski-ing off the back of the ship" and "submarine display" entries mixed in with the daytime activities. Going down to the Prom Deck for a walk, I came across a group of people asking where the submarine display was. honestly!

• Haha 2