Boarding pass

robindina

8 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Disney has done something like this for their theme parks.  It seems to be quite popular.  

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/bands-cards/understanding-magic-band/

If not already done, I would assume they are working to implement it on their cruise ships too.

EDIT: Oh, and since what Disney has done sounds a lot like what Carnival has in their patent, I'm not sure what the Carnival patent offers as being "new" or "innovative".  Seems like that horse has already left the barn.

Did you read the Patent? 

The patent is not for the idea of a wireless wristband, it is very detailed in the design of the device its self, the design of the network used to implement the program and the things and services it will be used to work with. 

Just like Apple and Samsung each have devices that do essentially the same things, the way they work is covered under separate Rights Patent assigned to either company.

Patents protect the way you do things not simply and idea that something can be done.  They have to be specific on HOW the invention works, and if someone can come up with a different way to do it that does not include the original patent holders way of doing it, they get to protect their way too.

7 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

Did you read the Patent? 

The patent is not for the idea of a wireless wristband, it is very detailed in the design of the device its self, the design of the network used to implement the program and the things and services it will be used to work with. 

Just like Apple and Samsung each have devices that do essentially the same things, the way they work is covered under separate Rights Patent assigned to either company.

Patents protect the way you do things not simply and idea that something can be done.  They have to be specific on HOW the invention works, and if someone can come up with a different way to do it that does not include the original patent holders way of doing it, they get to protect their way too.

Indeed, I did scan through a chunk of it.

I understand (basically, I suppose, not being a lawyer) how patents work, and I have no idea what in that Carnival patent is truly "new / different" compared to what exists already - I didn't read through it all that terribly closely and compare to existing patents, for example.

Using a slightly different circuit design for RFID/Bluetooth interfaces, or mildly different network topology, to accomplish something already implemented in the marketplace does not make me all excited over the application of a patent.

I guess I find patents to be somewhat overused/abused for tiny tweaks to existing "art".  And I find that the constant lawsuits over so-called patent infringement between Samsung, Apple, Microsoft, whoever, is more a way to stifle competition and reap (unwarranted) licenses than actual "OMG, you stole my idea" situations.

10 hours ago, Herbaltees said:

:classic_unsure:Doesn't everyone print at work???

I normally would but very recently the entire server crashed from a virus received from someone going online so since that happened very strict policy with internet useage.  Carnival cruise line is not one of the approved websites 😔

11 hours ago, robindina said:

I normally would but very recently the entire server crashed from a virus received from someone going online so since that happened very strict policy with internet useage.  Carnival cruise line is not one of the approved websites 😔

One could print-to-PDF at home, then email it to a work address...

I print-to-PDF out of habit anyway to ensure I have an electronic copy of whatever it was I think I printed.

On 11/5/2018 at 6:42 PM, bobsfamily said:

One of the reasons I do not cruise RCL... I do not want anyone to know my every move on the ship - or off.

I know they have cameras everywhere and the SS card can have a chip in it but no thanks to something I have to "wear".

Not sure I understand this statement. I have cruised numerous lines including Royal and I have no idea what you mean by them knowing your every move? They use sail and sign cards as well? Do explain please.

10 hours ago, sayvan said:

Not sure I understand this statement. I have cruised numerous lines including Royal and I have no idea what you mean by them knowing your every move? They use sail and sign cards as well? Do explain please.

Royal Caribbean has started to use wristbands, like the Disney magicbands and ones possibly in development for Carnival, instead of S&S (RCL calls them Seapass) cards:

(Scroll down to bottom)

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/anthemoftheseas/already-booked/smart-check-in/

(I had a different link in there but I guess it goes to a blog site CC doesn't like.)

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
replace link with one more CC friendly

16 hours ago, sayvan said:

A wristband has an RFID (radio-frequency Identification chip) which means the ship thru the wristband can monitor everywhere you go on the ship.... not just when you make a purchase or swipe to go in your room with a card. It extends off the ship while on a private island. 

11 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Royal Caribbean has started to use wristbands, like the Disney magicbands and ones possibly in development for Carnival, instead of S&S (RCL calls them Seapass) cards:

(Scroll down to bottom)

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/anthemoftheseas/already-booked/smart-check-in/

(I had a different link in there but I guess it goes to a blog site CC doesn't like.)

11 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Ok... Now I see what the talk is all about. Thanks for that! I suppose big brother is always watching anyway in this world of mobile phones and apps.  Unfortunate for all the staff who relied upon the jobs they once had as check in customer service reps. 

On 11/10/2018 at 6:10 AM, dcwalker said:

Maybe it's specific to the ship, but whenever I've cruised in the last couple of years, on embarkation day Carnival has emailed me my boarding pass so I don't have to print it, just bring it up on my phone and show it. 

I was just about to post the same.

SmartSelect_20181115-073035_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Athankfulheart