Scooter Locks

SandyMc

I am going to buy a new scooter - a Smartscoot, Travelscoot or the Clion SnapnGo - and none of them has keys.  How do you keep your scooter safe if you must leave it when visiting stores or restaurants?  That subject is rarely discussed on this board.  Also would be interested in which scooter you have and why.

I purchased a Travelscoot about 4 years ago because of the lightness of it and that I would be able to lift it into my car on my own if I had to.    It does fold down (like a golf cart) but I find it a little tricky to do it.    I purchased a lock from Travelscoot and it had a long cable and a key.   I never used it one time and after a couple of years I heard a beeping sound and it was the lock that was indicating the power was slowly ebbing away.   It did beep on and off for about a year and finally stopped beeping.   I think I paid about $40 for it and won't bother replacing it.   I do still have it and I could use it with the key but it won't sound an alarm anymore if anyone tries to cut it etc.

I have left the scooter outside of stores and restaurants but always where I can keep my eye on it.   I would hate to have it stolen when in a foreign land.   I have taken it on numerous cruises and it goes with me to Mexico every winter for 3 plus months.   I love it and would be lost without it.  It is a little expensive but I think it's worth the money for me.

Wendy

Just received the Glion Snap-n-Go this past weekend, so I haven't had it on a cruise yet. LOVE IT!!!! It is sturdy, easy to set up and take down, has a comfortable seat (with removable/adjustable arm rests), and it rides smoothly.  I am able to load it into my car by myself with ease. I purchased a large sleeve from a different company to hold my crutches.  The sleeve attaches to the back of the seat and keeps the crutches secure while I am riding the scooter.  I chose this one because it can be stored upright in a closet, if needed, so I could possibly use it in a standard room if the bathroom has grab bars. I am also a large person and the sturdy design is a plus. 

I had not given any thought to keeping it locked, but I will now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am glad this question has come up as we are currently looking into purchasing a powerchair and, as these do not have keys, were wondering about security. I think the biggest risk would be from kids who thought it funny to take the chair and 'joyride' in it -  but that would not make it any easier to cope without it! It sounds as if a bike lock is the answer.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:47 AM, parmagal said:

Just received the Glion Snap-n-Go this past weekend, so I haven't had it on a cruise yet. LOVE IT!!!! It is sturdy, easy to set up and take down, has a comfortable seat (with removable/adjustable arm rests), and it rides smoothly.  I am able to load it into my car by myself with ease. I purchased a large sleeve from a different company to hold my crutches.  The sleeve attaches to the back of the seat and keeps the crutches secure while I am riding the scooter.  I chose this one because it can be stored upright in a closet, if needed, so I could possibly use it in a standard room if the bathroom has grab bars. I am also a large person and the sturdy design is a plus. 

I had not given any thought to keeping it locked, but I will now!

I just used my new Glion SNAPnGO on my Ruby Princess cruise last week. I use a scooter part-time, for long distances (post-polio).  I replaced my first scooter, a Drive Spitfire Scout, with this one and I prefer the SNAPnGO because it is easy to maneuver through a crowded area, and it breaks down quickly.  (It was more than twice the cost of the Scout).  The frame is easy to lift,  but I think that the seat is very bulky to handle. I had a regular inside cabin on the Ruby, and I had to collapse the scooter and lift it in sideways to get it through the door.

i wasn't concerned about locking the scooter on the ship, but I will be this week when we visit Disneyland.  It has no key, but you can set a passcode, which I'll get my son-in-law to do before I step away from the scooter at Disneyland (parmagal, see page 25 of the User Manual to set up the passcode).

• 6 months later...
On 12/25/2018 at 7:25 PM, Beth Y said:

I just used my new Glion SNAPnGO on my Ruby Princess cruise last week. I use a scooter part-time, for long distances (post-polio).  I replaced my first scooter, a Drive Spitfire Scout, with this one and I prefer the SNAPnGO because it is easy to maneuver through a crowded area, and it breaks down quickly.  (It was more than twice the cost of the Scout).  The frame is easy to lift,  but I think that the seat is very bulky to handle. I had a regular inside cabin on the Ruby, and I had to collapse the scooter and lift it in sideways to get it through the door.

i wasn't concerned about locking the scooter on the ship, but I will be this week when we visit Disneyland.  It has no key, but you can set a passcode, which I'll get my son-in-law to do before I step away from the scooter at Disneyland (parmagal, see page 25 of the User Manual to set up the passcode).

With all the scooters at Disney World and some attractions needing to move the scooter to be at your exit point it would have been near impossible to keep locking a scooter.  That said I do have a lock that I haven’t used yet.  I’m not worried in Japan, but China, Philippines and Thailand concern me.  Most of the time I will have a guide and transportation to different areas but I’m thinking if I want to eat lunch what do I do with the scooter.  With a tour I expect the drivers may help if a meal is included but ...

So funny to see your post because while my scooter has a key,  I  was wondering if the 1 key works on all scooters,  my scooter is new and I don't want someone with an old one to drive off in mine!  (I'm a little anal)

1 hour ago, rucruisn2 said:So funny to see your post because while my scooter has a key,  I  was wondering if the 1 key works on all scooters,  my scooter is new and I don't want someone with an old one to drive off in mine!  (I'm a little anal)

I do have a key, and I’m not likely to see another of my brand but we asked if the keys were the same.  We tried another from a rental at our vendor and they worked!  I’d be more concerned at Disney of losing a battery than the whole scooter, but then I’ve added a back cover to the seat that is distinct and adds some storage for my rain poncho.   It actually is easy to remove, just not obvious how.   We also at 6 months had to tape the bumper which was tearing which isn’t noticeable but make it identifiable.   Disney World is pretty much the only place have left a scooter unattended partially because there are too many people around to know whether an owner is watching. The cast members do tell you to take your key and they are sort of lined up in order for yours to be in front when you get off the ride. 

We own an RV so the key doesn’t surprise us.  They have a few more but they can all be purchased by number. 

• 1 month later...

I've had a Smartscoot for almost 3 years and I love it!  There are a few things that I can do to discourage a theft if I'm in a situation where I cannot have the scooter next to me or within eyesight.  I keep a Tile tracking device attached to the underside of my battery stand.  I use a bicycle lock.  I engage the brake, and switch off the power to the battery.  If I feel it is necessary, I can take the battery with me (4 lb.).  The scooter can't be ridden and is useless without it.  You can even go so far as removing the seat, which is easily done.  There are no 100% guarantees, but I take all the precautions I can when needed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 10:03 AM, SandyMc said:

I am going to buy a new scooter - a Smartscoot, Travelscoot or the Clion SnapnGo - and none of them has keys.  How do you keep your scooter safe if you must leave it when visiting stores or restaurants?  That subject is rarely discussed on this board.  Also would be interested in which scooter you have and why.

I purchased this lock set with cable to attach to my battery, I have the same set up on my computer tower at work and I cannot pull the square sticky pad off, it is super strong. I then thread the cable through that then the front wheel and if there is a post that I can attach it to I do. I am more worried about the battery being taken.

Lock.jpg

lock pad.jpg