Opinions please

CCRUZER

Flying Southwest GSP to TPA in January. Is 42 minute layover in ATL enough time to change planes? I've flown through Atl before so I know it's a zoo. But, I've never flown Southwest so I don't know if all flights originate in the same terminal or if I may have to go from one terminal to another. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

minutes is enough, but one small delay and you will be stuck. Though getting to TPA from ATL should not be difficult in case of a missed connection. There are a ton of flights 15-20/day between Tampa and Atlanta though most are on Delta. But there is also the Orlando option as well which also has a crazy amount of flights between Atlanta. 

If you are flying in at least 24-hours before the cruise, I would not hesitate much. But if you are flying in the day of or the evening before, then maybe look for a better connection window. 

24 minutes ago, Flymia said:

minutes is enough, but one small delay and you will be stuck. Though getting to TPA from ATL should not be difficult in case of a missed connection. There are a ton of flights 15-20/day between Tampa and Atlanta though most are on Delta. But there is also the Orlando option as well which also has a crazy amount of flights between Atlanta. 

If you are flying in at least 24-hours before the cruise, I would not hesitate much. But if you are flying in the day of or the evening before, then maybe look for a better connection window. 

Thanks for the quick reply. We are actually flying in 2 days prior to our cruise. My only concern is missing my connecting flight.Having never flown Southwest before, I don't know if all flights use the same terminal or if I may have to change terminals.

According to Southwest's website they only use one terminal. That would be terminal C. Even if they did not, with the plane train it takes only a few minutes to get from one side of the airport to the other. 

The Southwest operation at ATL is pretty small (as far as footprint goes...it's a small area that they operate out of), so you should not have too far to go. ATL-TPA flights are pretty frequent on Southwest as well, so you should be okay. I would give it a try with your two-day buffer. If you were leaving the same day, no. But in your case, sure.

Edited by Zach1213

On 11/5/2018 at 11:59 AM, Zach1213 said:

The Southwest operation at ATL is pretty small (as far as footprint goes...it's a small area that they operate out of), so you should not have too far to go. ATL-TPA flights are pretty frequent on Southwest as well, so you should be okay. I would give it a try with your two-day buffer. If you were leaving the same day, no. But in your case, sure.

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I booked the Southwest flight and much to my surprise, when we land in ATL we don't get off the plane. It's just a layover to pick up more passengers and possibly let some off.So, my concern was all for naught. I saved a lot of money by flying with them and when you factor in the free luggage, it pays for my extra night hotel as well as a one day car rental.I AM a happy cruiser!

1 hour ago, CCRUZER said:

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I booked the Southwest flight and much to my surprise, when we land in ATL we don't get off the plane. It's just a layover to pick up more passengers and possibly let some off.So, my concern was all for naught. I saved a lot of money by flying with them and when you factor in the free luggage, it pays for my extra night hotel as well as a one day car rental.I AM a happy cruiser!

Yes, Southwest does a LOT of these direct flights (direct = same flight number, but may or may not require an aircraft change). I love being on them...if I have to stop somewhere, it's awfully nice to not have to leave the plane. It also gives you a chance to get a different seat if you want, and just enjoy the quiet for 10-15 minutes before the next load comes on.