New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

With all of the sales , creative math and price changes, they don't have time to apply logic or common sense. 

Just an FYI because I had some contact with you on the new thread for Key Reviews ( and you were supportive, so thank you) The hosts have agreed to delete all posts that are not actual reviews of the Key. We'll see how it goes.

Just now, blueridgemama said:

Just an FYI because I had some contact with you on the new thread for Key Reviews ( and you were supportive, so thank you) The hosts have agreed to delete all posts that are not actual reviews of the Key. We'll see how it goes.

Yes I did see that. I just hope that those who used the key can find it or if reviews are posted in the key thread that they continue to be moved to the review thread

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yes I did see that. I just hope that those who used the key can find it or if reviews are posted in the key thread that they continue to be moved to the review thread

Me too because this thread is obviously the one that gets posted on more frequently so will always be in the first 1-3 pages and the new thread might get lost in the shuffle. It would be great if the hosts are able to move reviews from this thread to the new thread.  Guess we will have to wait and see.

• Like 1

We are traveling on FOS soon with another family that will be in an owner's suite. I bought the key for voom and also to get priority seating with our friends at the shows ect... Is an embarkation lunch a perk for a suite? Their travel agent hasn't been much help with information.

I purchased the Key in February just in case and have watched the reviews carefully.  Better to purchase ahead and cancel later versus buy later.  I no longer see the key available for purchase. Will be cruising on Allure in September. I noticed yesterday that I was able to reserve dates and times on my cruise planner along with dinner.  I'm okay with that, just curious to know if this is normal or a key perk?

1 minute ago, LoveTheSoul said:

I purchased the Key in February just in case and have watched the reviews carefully.  Better to purchase ahead and cancel later versus buy later.  I no longer see the key available for purchase. Will be cruising on Allure in September. I noticed yesterday that I was able to reserve dates and times on my cruise planner along with dinner.  I'm okay with that, just curious to know if this is normal or a key perk?

If you are referring to making reservations for My Time Dining, that is not related to the Key.

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:
5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

If you are referring to making reservations for My Time Dining, that is not related to the Key.

I was under the impression that any information for my cruise would not be made available until 90 days out and Key perk at the time of purchase (Feb.) is that we can reserve 3 days prior to cruise. 

I was able to make reservations (dates and times) for all of the shows and they are showing in my calendar.

Edited by LoveTheSoul

17 minutes ago, LoveTheSoul said:

I was under the impression that any information for my cruise would not be made available until 90 days out and Key perk at the time of purchase (Feb.) is that we can reserve 3 days prior to cruise. 

I was able to make reservations (dates and times) for all of the shows and they are showing in my calendar.

The 90 day thing is not accurate.  The various items available to reserve show up in the Cruise Planner at seemingly random times.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LoveTheSoul said:

I think what you're thinking of is the online check-in process, which is available 90 days prior to sail date.  That has nothing to do with Cruise Planner purchases or reservations for shows or dinner times.  

I've never seen anything about the Key allowing priority for making dinner reservations or show reservations.  Where did you see this type of perk advertised?

15 hours ago, brillohead said:

I think what you're thinking of is the online check-in process, which is available 90 days prior to sail date.  That has nothing to do with Cruise Planner purchases or reservations for shows or dinner times.  

Possibly; that makes sense.

I've never seen anything about the Key allowing priority for making dinner reservations or show reservations.  Where did you see this type of perk advertised?

It was advertised when we first purchased the key.  This is how we first learned of the key and one of the things (being first time cruisers), that drew us in, was the fact that we could reserve showtimes and dates 3 days prior to cruising.  We weren't sure how crowded the shows may get so it was a perk to us. The key is no longer advertised for our cruise or I would post a pic. It was still available about 2 months after we purchased it as I was watching to see if the rates went down from 24.99.  

I was able to reserve show dates and times on Monday and my cruise is 5 months away. Didn't know if this was normal or a perk. 

Edited by LoveTheSoul

Ok, so my overall impressions of The Key after having had it on Mariner this last weekend...

There is value in it a 19.99 but not at 32.99, which is the price that it is listed at for up coming Aots cruise in December. Embarkation/Debarkation when it is so streamlined like it is at Terminal A in Miami means there isn't a tonne of value left in that aspect. For me, the biggest value added is the preferred seating at shows.  I utilized it twice for the skating show.  The first night it wasn't necessary but the second night it was.  I didn't use the Flowrider time but might under different circumstances.  Some old injuries kept me from getting out there on this cruise. That wasn't the fault of The Key.  The fruit plate, while a nice touch, really isn't that big a deal when you have an unlimited supply of food available to you. If it had been some chocolate covered strawberries I would probably have liked it more. 

The biggest negative is that there are too many employee's who do not know or understand completely what this program offers. When you ask a question you get answers that aren't right or seem vague and confusing.  I'm not on a cruise to argue with staff because I know more about the program because I read CC. I'm paying extra, I don't want confrontation and contention I want simple, smooth and stream lined.

My overall grade C+.  There is lots of room for improvement.  However, if the price doesn't come back down from 32.99 I'll never find out if has improved.

• Like 4

Being able to reserve shows and activities is open to everyone.  The time frame varies from 90 to over 140 days, as to when the reservation option pops up in the cruise planner.  The 3 days in advance is when the reservations close.  After that you have to book onboard.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, er345 said:

Being able to reserve shows and activities is open to everyone.  The time frame varies from 90 to over 140 days, as to when the reservation option pops up in the cruise planner.  The 3 days in advance is when the reservations close.  After that you have to book onboard.

Got it! 😉

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

The biggest negative is that there are too many employee's who do not know or understand completely what this program offers. When you ask a question you get answers that aren't right or seem vague and confusing.  I'm not on a cruise to argue with staff because I know more about the program because I read CC. I'm paying extra, I don't want confrontation and contention I want simple, smooth and stream lined.

Well said.  I've purchased the Key to get a few extra perks (over the internet I was already going to purchase) to make my cruise a little extra special.  But I don't want to have to fight or argue to get the perks.  Still reading all reviews and will decide to keep or cancel closer to the cruise (June 23).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tcmagnum said:

Well said.  I've purchased the Key to get a few extra perks (over the internet I was already going to purchase) to make my cruise a little extra special.  But I don't want to have to fight or argue to get the perks.  Still reading all reviews and will decide to keep or cancel closer to the cruise (June 23).

This is my view too. You all put it perfectly. My cruise sails in late May but I will cancel soon if RC doesnt get their act together. I find it unacceptable that they cant even routinely implement the most basic aspects of the program but chose to raise the price dramatically. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LoveTheSoul said:

It was advertised when we first purchased the key.  This is how we first learned of the key and one of the things (being first time cruisers), that drew us in, was the fact that we could reserve showtimes and dates 3 days prior to cruising.  We weren't sure how crowded the shows may get so it was a perk to us. The key is no longer advertised for our cruise or I would post a pic. It was still available about 2 months after we purchased it as I was watching to see if the rates went down from 24.99.  

I was able to reserve show dates and times on Monday and my cruise is 5 months away. Didn't know if this was normal or a perk. 

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this reservation statement with The Key?

I remember when it first came out, one of the things it offered was that you didn't have to make reservations for shows AT ALL -- just show up to any show you want.  After a while, that changed to where you had to make reservations, but you still got the priority seating area.  

The 3-day thing really confuses me, b/c the Cruise Planner is normally shut down at that point, so things can get transferred over to the ship side of things.

13 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this reservation statement with The Key?

I remember when it first came out, one of the things it offered was that you didn't have to make reservations for shows AT ALL -- just show up to any show you want.  After a while, that changed to where you had to make reservations, but you still got the priority seating area.  

The 3-day thing really confuses me, b/c the Cruise Planner is normally shut down at that point, so things can get transferred over to the ship side of things.

I bought the Key when it first came out and have checked the wording on what you get weekly (so since mid-December for my cruise in just over two weeks).  I think the poster who mentioned this is confused by the fact that you CAN make reservations up to 3 days before for show--on ships that take show reservations.  What I don't think they are understanding is that is the cut off for booking shows beforehand and that many times, popular shows are already booked solid, so the Key won't help you then, but you can hope to get in using the Key in the standby.   The Key perks never, ever listed dinner reservation priorities.  That was always listed for all cruisers--that you can make dinner reservations up until the cut off of three days before sailing and after that you have to check onboard.  And no one can make dinner reservations if they have a dining package for specialty restaurants, no matter if you have the Key or not.   I think what the poster is doing is combining many things they read about various things that can or should be booked prior to cruising.  However back in December when I bought The Key, they didn't say a thing about show reservations, and it WAS just show up.  They realized quickly that that wasn't going to work, so now you are told to prebook the shows for the dates/times you want if you have specific plans in mind.  

• Like 1

First cruise question - if you DO NOT get the Key, do you get lunch on embarkation day (just not at CHOPS)?  Do you get breakfast on debarkation day?  

I am trying to weigh the real value.  Thanks for any help!

5 minutes ago, KB Cruisin said:

First cruise question - if you DO NOT get the Key, do you get lunch on embarkation day (just not at CHOPS)?  Do you get breakfast on debarkation day?  

I am trying to weigh the real value.  Thanks for any help!

Yes, everyone has access to lunch on embarkation day and breakfast in disembarkation day.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 1:02 AM, Ashland said:

So an average lunch in Chop's....disembarkation breakfast great...but could you have gotten the same without the Key in the MDR?.....and front of the line....And this all cost an extra how much ?? 

Not sure I get how this could be worth it ??

It cost an extra $19.99 per person per day.

For clarification. my lunch in Chops was average. However, for my wife's lunch she said it was great.

No, I could not get that "AWSEOME" breakfast in the dining room. It is a special and different menu for the "KEY" customers.

Jury is still out as to whether it was worth it. My wife says yes, so I guess it was....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ChrissyJon01 said:

On Independence Of The Seas, it still says no reservations needed. I think it varies by ships. 

This is true.  Only ships that have the reservation system, like Oasis, will need reservations.  There are so many people on those ships and with the Broadway, Aqua Theater, Ice and Comedy shows, they need a way to allow everyone a chance to see it--hence the reservation system.  On ships that are always 'first come, first served', you just show up and present your card with the Key on it to get access to the reserved seating section--as long as you show up before they open that area up to anyone. 

Edited by rockmom

2 hours ago, ChrissyJon01 said:

On Independence Of The Seas, it still says no reservations needed. I think it varies by ships. 

On Indy people with the Key don't need reservations because no one needs reservations as the ship doesn't have a reservation system.