New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

I had it on our Mariner cruise @ 19.99 but was on the fence about it for our cruise on Adventure in Dec. I'm not on the fence about it any more.  There will be seven of us and after experiencing it on a three day for two people, I'm sure I won't get the requisite value on the longer cruise with more people.   If it was just DW and I, I will consider it again if it comes available @ 19.99 again but not on this one.

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

I had it on our Mariner cruise @ 19.99 but was on the fence about it for our cruise on Adventure in Dec. I'm not on the fence about it any more.  There will be seven of us and after experiencing it on a three day for two people, I'm sure I won't get the requisite value on the longer cruise with more people.   If it was just DW and I, I will consider it again if it comes available @ 19.99 again but not on this one.

If you are using Voom then the best value is with 1 or 2 users. Once this goes to 4 people, the value plummets. The Key needs a sliding scale per day for the number of users like Voom.

3 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

If you are using Voom then the best value is with 1 or 2 users. Once this goes to 4 people, the value plummets. The Key needs a sliding scale per day for the number of users like Voom.

That was part of my thinking.  Both DW and I will want one Voom surf and stream but when I'm shelling out for DD, DSIL and three grand kids 16/14/11 it is just to much.  They could probably get by with a 2 device package between the 5 of them. Chops lunch is no great thing to 14 yr old boy and an 11 yr old girl when there is unlimited everything in the Windjammer.  After that it really just comes down to the priority seating at shows and extra time at the Flowrider.  That's a lot of money for such limited utility.

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

That was part of my thinking.  Both DW and I will want one Voom surf and stream but when I'm shelling out for DD, DSIL and three grand kids 16/14/11 it is just to much.  They could probably get by with a 2 device package between the 5 of them. Chops lunch is no great thing to 14 yr old boy and an 11 yr old girl when there is unlimited everything in the Windjammer.  After that it really just comes down to the priority seating at shows and extra time at the Flowrider.  That's a lot of money for such limited utility.

It is a shame it has turned out like this.  I have it for $24.99 and only have a few weeks to decide.  I am fine with what was promised initially, but, with implementation, it seems the value keeps getting diluted.  It seems like you never know if the particular ship is going to honor it or not - or even know what it is!  That is frustrating.  Still deciding if it is a gamble I want to take or not.  Getting down to the wire for us.....

15 minutes ago, KB Cruisin said:

It is a shame it has turned out like this.  I have it for $24.99 and only have a few weeks to decide.  I am fine with what was promised initially, but, with implementation, it seems the value keeps getting diluted.  It seems like you never know if the particular ship is going to honor it or not - or even know what it is!  That is frustrating.  Still deciding if it is a gamble I want to take or not.  Getting down to the wire for us.....

What ship and itinerary?

12 minutes ago, KB Cruisin said:

With us as well.  We're on the OASIS for a Mediterranean cruise beginning 6/30.  Originally purchased the Key for $24.99 for my wife and I.  We were going to purchase the internet package anyway (for 2), so the investment for this exercise is about $200 total. 

Our reasons for trying the Key:

1. This is our first cruise (without our kids) in over 10 years, so no Diamond + program or other perks. Have never experienced a cruise ship on the scale of the Oasis and want to ensure we have a good first experience, minimizing longer lines if/when possible.
2. This particular cruise is heavy on ports of interest: essentially 6 ports in 7 days.  Hoping the Key would provide some benefit at most of the ports since we will be doing excursions (mostly non-RCL) at every port - need to get off the boat early each day.

3. Priority seating for the shows.  Wife's eyesight is not the best and having a closer experience at the shows we reserved is important to her.

4. Priority embark/debark seems like a nice perk, especially on the last day so we don't feel rushed - would be very interested to learn how the actual experience went with other Mediterranean travelers on the Oasis with the Key.

Anyway, for our situation spending an extra $200 for this experiment is worth trying at least once.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, driek said:

With us as well.  We're on the OASIS for a Mediterranean cruise beginning 6/30.  Originally purchased the Key for $24.99 for my wife and I.  We were going to purchase the internet package anyway (for 2), so the investment for this exercise is about $200 total. 

Our reasons for trying the Key:

1. This is our first cruise (without our kids) in over 10 years, so no Diamond + program or other perks. Have never experienced a cruise ship on the scale of the Oasis and want to ensure we have a good first experience, minimizing longer lines if/when possible.
2. This particular cruise is heavy on ports of interest: essentially 6 ports in 7 days.  Hoping the Key would provide some benefit at most of the ports since we will be doing excursions (mostly non-RCL) at every port - need to get off the boat early each day.

3. Priority seating for the shows.  Wife's eyesight is not the best and having a closer experience at the shows we reserved is important to her.

4. Priority embark/debark seems like a nice perk, especially on the last day so we don't feel rushed - would be very interested to learn how the actual experience went with other Mediterranean travelers on the Oasis with the Key.

Anyway, for our situation spending an extra $200 for this experiment is worth trying at least once.

The Key will definitely help with getting off the ship in the ports without an RCI excursion.  

JC

My family and I are booked on Ovations in June out of Seattle with the Key. We booked it at the $19.99 pp. rate. Reading all the reviews/comments over the past few months, I am also reconsidering. Does anyone have any experience with the Key on the Ovation? Also, I am unfamiliar with the Seattle Port for the embarkation/disembarkation process.  Will the Key be a great help at this port?

Thanks

47 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

JC in his Sydney to Hawaii review mentioned Key use a bit but won’t help much for the Alaska runs. 

Agree, was talking about the med cruise where people who are booking excursions with private vendors not the cruise line.  If you book with Royal you will be given priority.  So, if you are booking excursions with Royal there isn’t a reason to book the Key. In Tahiti we were able to get off with the first tenders with the Key.  Which was great with our independent tour on Bora Bora.  

We did Alaska on the Radiance last September and there was never a time I was stressed trying to get off the ship in order to meet up with an independent tour.  You are typically in port for a long time and unlike the Med you don’t have a long ride to and from the port to whatever activity you are doing.  

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk

3 hours ago, driek said:

I don't know where the Key seating is on Oasis since the last time I was on this program didn't exist. But on Adventure it was up in the balcony. That is not exactly prime seating for someone with vision issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't know where the Key seating is on Oasis since the last time I was on this program didn't exist. But on Adventure it was up in the balcony. That is not exactly prime seating for someone with vision issues.

Exactly.

Prime seat for me in the main theatre will be front row center.

On the Freedom the KEY reserved seats were the first 3 rows on the center section of balcony.  They weren't 
"bad" seats, but they were not close.  If you are looking to be up close I would confirm where the reserved section is so you're not disappointed.

5 minutes ago, Steeple01 said:

On the Freedom the KEY reserved seats were the first 3 rows on the center section of balcony.  They weren't 
"bad" seats, but they were not close.  If you are looking to be up close I would confirm where the reserved section is so you're not disappointed.

On Adventure those seats were for suites, Pinnacles, and Diamond Plus. Key seats were off go either side of the center balcony.

I really am thinking now to take my $570 out of The Key and putting into Unlimited Dining.

1. Embarkation Priority (Seems like embarkation is so streamlined now, some people report really no benefit)

2. Embarkation lunch (Could be covered by Unlimited Dining)

3. Private hours (This is really what I want it for but the reports are scaring me)

4. Show seating (I like not having to line up early, but I am not thrilled with the seating. I prefer to show up earlier and get closer seating.

5. Disembarkation (I can live without 1 nice breakfast) But I hear this really cuts down on getting through Customs. We don't fly until 3PM, so I really have nowhere to go.

Trying to understand the value.

Where am I wrong?

21 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

I really am thinking now to take my $570 out of The Key and putting into Unlimited Dining.

1. Embarkation Priority (Seems like embarkation is so streamlined now, some people report really no benefit)

2. Embarkation lunch (Could be covered by Unlimited Dining)

3. Private hours (This is really what I want it for but the reports are scaring me)

4. Show seating (I like not having to line up early, but I am not thrilled with the seating. I prefer to show up earlier and get closer seating.

5. Disembarkation (I can live without 1 nice breakfast) But I hear this really cuts down on getting through Customs. We don't fly until 3PM, so I really have nowhere to go.

Trying to understand the value.

Where am I wrong?

Internet too, right?

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Internet too, right?

Yes, you get Voom Surf.

Sadly I am one of those people that is always online. Even on vacation. It goes without saying that I would just get Voom Surf for 4 for a total of $238.

2 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

Yes, you get Voom Surf.

Sadly I am one of those people that is always online. Even on vacation. It goes without saying that I would just get Voom Surf for 4 for a total of $238.

It comes with the more high speed/expensive internet--the Surf & Stream.  

4 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

Yes, you get Voom Surf.

I agree with you, there does not seem to be much value in the Key for you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, driek said:

We're on the OASIS for a Mediterranean cruise beginning 6/30. 

We were on Oasis in February. The Key seating for the Ice Show is excellent and close to the rink. I understand Key seating for the AquaShow is also very good (our show got cancelled so we didn't see it). Main Theater, the seats are good (not balcony, but not front row orchestra either), but not close to the stage. The seats are in the back where the seats have a generous rake creating good sight lines. Again, these are good seats, but not close.

19 hours ago, driek said:

The Key doesn't work for me on my 9 day Caribbean cruise even if it was still $19.99.  However a port intensive med cruise on Oasis with private tours it would be worth the $200. I would probably purchase the key over a drink package in this case just for voom and disembarkation at ports.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

The Key doesn't work for me on my 9 day Caribbean cruise even if it was still $19.99.  However a port intensive med cruise on Oasis with private tours it would be worth the $200. I would probably purchase the key over a drink package in this case just for voom and disembarkation at ports.

You not only have to do the math, but also figure in the convenience.    For a 7-night Med cruise with two tender ports, priority tendering will be a big plus.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 5:15 PM, er345 said:

And there is the marketing.  The Ovation Key (for August 2019) was $37.99 all last week, and now it’s $29.99.  So now people who didn’t know it was once $19.99 and then $24.99 think that $29.99 is a sale compared to last week. 

Caveat Emptor seems to be the slogan for this products marketing.