New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The Key doesn't work for me on my 9 day Caribbean cruise even if it was still $19.99.  However a port intensive med cruise on Oasis with private tours it would be worth the $200. I would probably purchase the key over a drink package in this case just for voom and disembarkation at ports.

Not to mention that a port intensive med cruise, leaves little time for drinking adult beverages during the day on the ships.

jc

• Like 1

When I saw this on our cruise planner for our trip on symphony in August I thought it was okay as I thought it was a one-off charge of $30 then I realised it was per day per person and I thought 0MG that’s a ridiculous amount of money for what you get 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

An update for anyone questioning the SeaPass and the Key symbol Not being on it. 

Going with others that also purchased the Key. They too did not get a SeaPass with the Key on it.

However, they Did get an 11am time and were asked( via phone) what time they wanted. They were told earliest they give out is 11am and opted for that. 

We were given 2 pm via online system. Almost at end of Chops lunch. 

TA, and these boards said show up when u want. 

I called rccl explained how our traveling mates were asked and took earliest, 11am. Was told... earliest is always noon?? Huh? (I read here people got on earlier). Asked to re-check. Then told YES, she could give me 11am. She did, reprinted passes with updated time.  

So...Today we got UPbid program..

trying to see see if that’s now worth a shot..

cha ching, lol! 

On 5/2/2019 at 7:56 PM, alexpfsu said:

Yes.  I booked it the 1st day it came out for 19.99. Main reasons for booking was Chops lunch (now a different menu), no reservations for shows on Symphony (now you need them), private hours on flowrider (now only 1 item on port days from what others have posted).

We sail June 1st on Symphony and we are now looking to cancel.

From what others posted about Terminal A in Miami you don't really have any issues boarding, so that perk isn't really a perk.  I can get Voom and Chops lunch way cheaper on its own than the Key.

Only new item that I have seen posted that I like is the towel check out that you get with the Key now (which isn't listed anywhere,  but everyone on Symphony has been taking about getting now. )

This.  All this.  I'm also considering cancelling.  

Optimist that I am, I keep checking the Key threads hoping for actual reviews. The thread that was started for reviews only has, unfortunately,  gotten lost in the shuffle (I actually can't even find it anymore) It seems to continue to be more important for people to agonize over whether to keep the Key or cancel it. It is really an easy decision. If you don't think it is worthwhile to you then cancel it and move on. I will continue searching for the elusive reviews😊

2 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

It seems to continue to be more important for people to agonize over whether to keep the Key or cancel it. It is really an easy decision. If you don't think it is worthwhile to you then cancel it and move on. I will continue searching for the elusive reviews😊

The problem isn't if I see value in it. The problem is it keeps changing week to week ship to ship. I just want to know what I'm paying for and what I'm getting out of it. Until than I have to keep checking online and seeing reviews.  Never have I bought something and had it change as much as this program has.   Again,  I just want to know what 19.99 a day for 7 days, times 3 people is getting me. 

• Like 1

On our sailing the only special activities with a ship of the size of the Ovation was the flowrider and the rock wall.  There is never a real significant line at the rock wall and even if there was doing it twice would be sort of a max experience for most people on our 16 night sailing there were 6 rock wall key sessions, I am guessing that would be a check off.  I, personally, would not pay a penny for it.  There were also 6 flowrider sessions with on average 5 to 8 people.  A private session costs $69 for an hour 6 x 69 = 414$.  If you are a flowrider nut (like me) then this greatly reduces the cost.  Chops was good on embarkation day... it is a luxury to avoid the chaos and craziness of the windjammer... it would cost $40.  Then there is the internet on the Ovation it was very good and very fast and very useful.  2 internet packages on our sailing would have been at least $15 x 16, we could have gotten by with the one (which the 15$ was the price buying it on the ship) which means $240.  Then there is the price of getting off first on a tender or a busy port where you have limited time and a private excursion.  We took advantage of this twice.  I can’t place a value on this, but it is not zero.  We were able to book an extra Ifly session with the Key, but this still sucks on a 9 night sailing on the Anthem from NY a few years ago we got 5 flights on the Ovation on a slightly shorter cruise a couple of years ago we got three.  The sports staff doesn’t really care about getting you extra flights.  That is kind of a downer in general.  

So for us, I would say at 19.99 a day per person ( I do believe I could have just booked it for myself and we would have lost the perks beyond the flowrider and a single internet) it would have been a no-brainer.  As it was it was not a bad value because I did spend every minute of the key time in the flowrider line and we did use the internet... I think we came out ahead.  That said at the prices I am seeing currently it is not likely to be a good value for very many.

jc

Just now, xpcdoojk said:

There were also 6 flowrider sessions with on average 5 to 8 people.  

I can’t confirm it but apparently Key gets only one Flowrider session on the current 11 night sailing- it was today 10-11AM. 

It is crazy after we had 38% of the days with a session on the same ship for the next cruise.  IF I had not witnessed so many key people who used the extra session for boogie boarding when there were no significant lines for Boogie during the regular hours.... IE people were purchasing it because it exists not because they were trying to maximize their love of a particular activity.  Which means RCI is making big dollars, and if it becomes a thing that people buy because they can.  RCI might as well maximize it.  Which further means I will never buy it again.🤣

jc

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Optimist that I am, I keep checking the Key threads hoping for actual reviews. The thread that was started for reviews only has, unfortunately,  gotten lost in the shuffle (I actually can't even find it anymore) It seems to continue to be more important for people to agonize over whether to keep the Key or cancel it. It is really an easy decision. If you don't think it is worthwhile to you then cancel it and move on. I will continue searching for the elusive reviews😊

I don’t think that is going to happen. Plus the key seems to vary from ship to ship. Your mileage will also vary depending on what features of the key are important to you given the situation. You may have better luck searching YouTube for key reviews.

1 hour ago, blueridgemama said:

I follow Mariner and Symphony on Facebook and most reviews have been positive. I think cruise critic reviewers are more critical, hence the name😊

That is interesting.  Based on what you've read do you think it's worth it on the symphony or can you not decide?   

Based on what I've read here I basically decided today that no, it's not worth it any more.  The only reason I haven't cancelled is because I don't sail until November and with the way things are changing all the time who can say what the program will look like by then.

19 minutes ago, Dixie1337 said:

That is interesting.  Based on what you've read do you think it's worth it on the symphony or can you not decide?   

Based on what I've read here I basically decided today that no, it's not worth it any more.  The only reason I haven't cancelled is because I don't sail until November and with the way things are changing all the time who can say what the program will look like by then.

I follow all the SOTS FB pages and I can't find anything that talks about it being great on Symphony.   The positive reviews I have seen on FB are from other Ships.

I just called today and canceled the Key my June 1st sailing.

I was super excited about the program when it came out,  but after all the changes I don't see the value in it on Symphony.  If I was on any other ship I would keep it. 

If I where you I would keep it and follow along for more changes and when it gets closer to your sailing make a call.  But with only 23 days until I go it hasn't gotten any better,  just keeps going away from what I signed up for when I booked it. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dixie1337 said:

I have it for our Symphony cruise and I am keeping it iregardless of the reviews. Our cruise is only 4 nights and it is just my husband and me  so the cost was reasonable. I am not interested in the flow rider, climbing wall etc. but the rest of the perks look worthwhile to me. I reserved it when it was $19.99 per person. I would not pay much more for it. I will write a review after our cruise.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

I have it for our Symphony cruise and I am keeping it iregardless of the reviews. Our cruise is only 4 nights and it is just my husband and me  so the cost was reasonable. I am not interested in the flow rider, climbing wall etc. but the rest of the perks look worthwhile to me. I reserved it when it was $19.99 per person. I would not pay much more for it. I will write a review after our cruise.

On the Ovation after the key was introduced the cost of the internet package increased.  So, if you need internet and you want to flowride then it may still make sense.  Although, I think it is going to make less and less sense as time goes by.  But that is pure speculation on my part.

jc

2 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

I follow Mariner and Symphony on Facebook and most reviews have been positive. I think cruise critic reviewers are more critical, hence the name😊

Facebook...Facebook...Facebook...oh yeah...that's that one website where people post all sorts of phony stories, pictures, and then make stuff up on how great things are (when they are not). Uh huh...a great source of (fake) information on nearly any topic. 🤣

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Facebook...Facebook...Facebook...oh yeah...that's that one website where people post all sorts of phony stories, pictures, and then make stuff up on how great things are (when they are not). Uh huh...a great source of (fake) information on nearly any topic. 🤣

Sort of the same way that almost everything that is sold on Amazom has the highest number of stars possible. When it comes to cruising issues I would much rather filter through the information on CC.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Sort of the same way that almost everything that is sold on Amazom has the highest number of stars possible. When it comes to cruising issues I would much rather filter through the information on CC.

👍👍👍

5 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

That is crazy.  

JC

I have the key on this sailing and can confirm that there was one flowrider session yesterday (10 to 11) and there is one rockwall session today from 3  to 4.   

In my experience the key has not had any value for this sailing.

I will draft more thoughts on the key program when I'm back home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Sorry, that is a completely ridiculous statement! Real people asking real questions and then taking the time to  thank you for answering their questions. I have not seen ONE snarky response on the 2 closed Facebook pages I follow. I can't say the same for some of the comments on cruise critic. Obviously you do not know the difference between closed Facebook forums and general Facebook posts. 

Edited by blueridgemama
  • Like 1

Sailed on Harmony April 28 - May 5 and purchased "the Key" for my wife and I. This is our fifth time sailing with Royal Caribbean so we thought we’d give it a try a since our Platinum status doesn’t have any real perks that we consider useful.

Priority Boarding

Arrived at Port Everglades terminal at about 10:30 and after dropping bags with the porter went to find if there was a designated entrance for Key members. Before leaving home, I printed our receipts with the Key logo on it showing that I had purchased the program. Showed it to a staff member inside the terminal and was directed to the loyalty tier and suites line through security which only had a few people in it.  We had "Expedited Boarding" on our sail passes so when we got to the check in area we were just directed by staff to board right away. There was a sign marked "the Key" at the check in desk and I asked if we should check in there. The attendant said no and asked us to board. We were on the ship in about 10 minutes from the time we dropped our bags off to the porter. Everyone was boarding fairly quickly though, even non key folks. Whisking through security was probably the biggest advantage to this perk.

On Board

On boarding the ship we asked several staff members where the Key welcome desk was. None of them had any idea, so no help there. Boarding was via the Promenade on deck 5 and this is where we saw a small desk with two RC staff selling internet packages. Since the internet was included in the Key we stopped there. Told them we had the key and they gave us our internet access code. Asked where the key welcome desk was. He just gestured with his hand that it was “down that way somewhere”. So we went off searching again. About half way down the Promenade the blue Key signs caught our eye. Went up to the attendant and identified ourselves as having the key and he checked for our room number on his list. We said we were dropping off our carry on luggage to be delivered to our stateroom. He looked puzzled and said they don’t do that on this ship. I showed him on the RC website where it clearly stated it’s a part of the program. He again said not on this ship so we had to bring our carry on bags with us.  He did say our rooms would be ready by noon. Only complaint on this is RC removed the carry on bag feature. If they remove a perk you already paid for, it seems logical to replace it with something else. The attendant didn’t give us the blue Key wristbands when we were first at the desk. My wife noticed other people walking around wearing them so we had to return to pick those up.

Lunch

We had a choice of Jamie Oliver’s Italian or Chops Grille for lunch. We found that out just before leaving home as I was printing off the cruise docs and reservations from our cruise planner.  We decided on Chops so we headed out with bags in tow to eat. Got there at 1140 and joined a long lineup. Got into the restaurant and seated little after 12 and the place was packed. After we were seated I decided to check to see if we had access to our room. My wife stayed at our table and I brought our carry on bags to the room. Room was ready and the sea pass was in the slot next to the door. There was no Key symbol or sticker on them as many have said on this forum. Service at Chops was slow and you could easily see the staff were overwhelmed with the crowd in the restaurant. They announced to those still in line that they had the option to go to Jamie’s which most did. Food was really good from the appetizers through to dessert. Steak was cooked perfectly. No issues with the meal itself.

Special Activity times.

Huge disappointment!! They only had four special time slots allotted of an hour each for the Key for the entire cruise. So not only has RC eliminated the checked bag feature it seems they have skimped on the activities as well.  I’ve attached the schedule to this post. On day two we returned to our stateroom late that afternoon to find a small fruit basket and a letter welcoming us to “the Key experience” On the back was the pitiful special activities schedule. One attraction we really wanted to do under the Key was the Zipline which was scheduled for 2 to 3 pm. It was 4:30 pm when we got to our cabin and found this schedule on our bed. Too late to do the Zipline for the Key. The schedule should have been given to us during boarding or at the welcome desk.

Voom WiFi Internet.

Spotty at best and uploading and downloading was extremely slow around most of the ship. Streaming anything in our room on deck 12 was out of the question. Video just buffers and jitters. Deck 5 seemed to have the best internet connection. Texting and checking facebook, email, etc was fine.

Shows

We went to two shows at the Royal Theatre, Grease and the headliner show. We arrived at both shows about 30 min before showtime. Asked the theatre attendant inside where Key guests are seated and he directed us to the suites, diamond and pinnacle section. Its center of the theatre on the second level. Sat wherever we wanted in that section. For the headliner show, the front row of the section was reserved for suite guests but there were plenty of seats in that section. The seats we had with the Key were excellent for both shows.   

We did the Fine Line aqua show. Again seating was in the center of the suites section. My wife had taken her Key wrist band off earlier and the attendants stopped her from taking a seat in the reserved section because if it. They asked to see her sea pass and of course there’s nothing on it to verify she had the Key. I had my wrist band on so I argued that my sea pass had nothing on it either. The line was backing up behind us so they eventually allowed her to sit with me in the reserved seats. We didn’t do the ice show. If you arrive about 30 minutes before the shows there are plenty of decent seats anywhere in the theatre or the other venues. Just make sure you have a reservation if you’re on Oasis class ships like this or you will be put in the standby line with no guarantee you will even get in to see the show. The comedy shows at The Attic  have no Key section so its sit where you can.   

Debarkation

The sixth night of our sailing we had a letter in our cabin from the Key program giving us info on the debarkation process. The Key luggage tags were with the letter. Place the bags outside the door of the stateroom by 11pm and they would be picked up. We could retrieve the luggage in the terminal in the designated Key section. Breakfast was 6:30 to 8:30 and we could leave the ship at our leisure. We didn’t have to wait for our section to be called. We had breakfast at the main dining room on deck 3 and it was a good meal with plenty of offerings in my opinion. Menu had continental, eggs, omelets, bacon, sausage, etc plus coffee and juices.  As the debarkation letter instructed us to do, we went to deck five and were supposed to be met by a Key representative who would escort us off the ship. Got there and no Key rep. The staff told us join the line with the others even though we told them we had the key. The lineup wasn’t long so we got off the ship fairly quickly. Luggage was in an area with large Key signs over them. Picked up our bags and got through customs fairly quickly.

Final thoughts

Overall, purchasing the Key wasn’t really worth it to me and I doubt very much that I’d get it again at the price Royal Caribbean asks for it. We bought it at $32 (Cdn) per person per day. If the internet is super important to you, (it wasn’t to us) then it has value since the on board price of the internet package alone is $20.00 (USD) per day per person. It’s just a few dollars extra for the other perks it offers when considering this. They still had the Key available on this sailing about a couple weeks before we cruised for $50 (Cdn) pppd. For what you get it's definitely not worth it at that price in my opinion . Lunch at one of the two specialty dining restaurants adds a small value, however, the choices are limited to the small selection they have on their lunch menus. Also, it doesn’t seem that the staff are well versed on the program yet considering the Key rolled out cruise wide last year. Again, I assumed perks like the carry on drop off to be on all the ships and was surprised that this ship removed that benefit. As many have said, purchasing the Key can be a benefit based on which features of it are important or attractive to you.

file-58.jpeg

file-59.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, newfie said:

Sailed on Harmony April 28 - May 5 and purchased "the Key" for my wife and I. This is our fifth time sailing with Royal Caribbean so we thought we’d give it a try a since our Platinum status doesn’t have any real perks that we consider useful.

Priority Boarding

Arrived at Port Everglades terminal at about 10:30 and after dropping bags with the porter went to find if there was a designated entrance for Key members. Before leaving home, I printed our receipts with the Key logo on it showing that I had purchased the program. Showed it to a staff member inside the terminal and was directed to the loyalty tier and suites line through security which only had a few people in it.  We had "Expedited Boarding" on our sail passes so when we got to the check in area we were just directed by staff to board right away. There was a sign marked "the Key" at the check in desk and I asked if we should check in there. The attendant said no and asked us to board. We were on the ship in about 10 minutes from the time we dropped our bags off to the porter. Everyone was boarding fairly quickly though, even non key folks. Whisking through security was probably the biggest advantage to this perk.

On Board

On boarding the ship we asked several staff members where the Key welcome desk was. None of them had any idea, so no help there. Boarding was via the Promenade on deck 5 and this is where we saw a small desk with two RC staff selling internet packages. Since the internet was included in the Key we stopped there. Told them we had the key and they gave us our internet access code. Asked where the key welcome desk was. He just gestured with his hand that it was “down that way somewhere”. So we went off searching again. About half way down the Promenade the blue Key signs caught our eye. Went up to the attendant and identified ourselves as having the key and he checked for our room number on his list. We said we were dropping off our carry on luggage to be delivered to our stateroom. He looked puzzled and said they don’t do that on this ship. I showed him on the RC website where it clearly stated it’s a part of the program. He again said not on this ship so we had to bring our carry on bags with us.  He did say our rooms would be ready by noon. Only complaint on this is RC removed the carry on bag feature. If they remove a perk you already paid for, it seems logical to replace it with something else. The attendant didn’t give us the blue Key wristbands when we were first at the desk. My wife noticed other people walking around wearing them so we had to return to pick those up.

Lunch

We had a choice of Jamie Oliver’s Italian or Chops Grille for lunch. We found that out just before leaving home as I was printing off the cruise docs and reservations from our cruise planner.  We decided on Chops so we headed out with bags in tow to eat. Got there at 1140 and joined a long lineup. Got into the restaurant and seated little after 12 and the place was packed. After we were seated I decided to check to see if we had access to our room. My wife stayed at our table and I brought our carry on bags to the room. Room was ready and the sea pass was in the slot next to the door. There was no Key symbol or sticker on them as many have said on this forum. Service at Chops was slow and you could easily see the staff were overwhelmed with the crowd in the restaurant. They announced to those still in line that they had the option to go to Jamie’s which most did. Food was really good from the appetizers through to dessert. Steak was cooked perfectly. No issues with the meal itself.

Special Activity times.

Huge disappointment!! They only had four special time slots allotted of an hour each for the Key for the entire cruise. So not only has RC eliminated the checked bag feature it seems they have skimped on the activities as well.  I’ve attached the schedule to this post. On day two we returned to our stateroom late that afternoon to find a small fruit basket and a letter welcoming us to “the Key experience” On the back was the pitiful special activities schedule. One attraction we really wanted to do under the Key was the Zipline which was scheduled for 2 to 3 pm. It was 4:30 pm when we got to our cabin and found this schedule on our bed. Too late to do the Zipline for the Key. The schedule should have been given to us during boarding or at the welcome desk.

Voom WiFi Internet.

Spotty at best and uploading and downloading was extremely slow around most of the ship. Streaming anything in our room on deck 12 was out of the question. Video just buffers and jitters. Deck 5 seemed to have the best internet connection. Texting and checking facebook, email, etc was fine.

Shows

We went to two shows at the Royal Theatre, Grease and the headliner show. We arrived at both shows about 30 min before showtime. Asked the theatre attendant inside where Key guests are seated and he directed us to the suites, diamond and pinnacle section. Its center of the theatre on the second level. Sat wherever we wanted in that section. For the headliner show, the front row of the section was reserved for suite guests but there were plenty of seats in that section. The seats we had with the Key were excellent for both shows.   

We did the Fine Line aqua show. Again seating was in the center of the suites section. My wife had taken her Key wrist band off earlier and the attendants stopped her from taking a seat in the reserved section because if it. They asked to see her sea pass and of course there’s nothing on it to verify she had the Key. I had my wrist band on so I argued that my sea pass had nothing on it either. The line was backing up behind us so they eventually allowed her to sit with me in the reserved seats. We didn’t do the ice show. If you arrive about 30 minutes before the shows there are plenty of decent seats anywhere in the theatre or the other venues. Just make sure you have a reservation if you’re on Oasis class ships like this or you will be put in the standby line with no guarantee you will even get in to see the show. The comedy shows at The Attic  have no Key section so its sit where you can.   

Debarkation

The sixth night of our sailing we had a letter in our cabin from the Key program giving us info on the debarkation process. The Key luggage tags were with the letter. Place the bags outside the door of the stateroom by 11pm and they would be picked up. We could retrieve the luggage in the terminal in the designated Key section. Breakfast was 6:30 to 8:30 and we could leave the ship at our leisure. We didn’t have to wait for our section to be called. We had breakfast at the main dining room on deck 3 and it was a good meal with plenty of offerings in my opinion. Menu had continental, eggs, omelets, bacon, sausage, etc plus coffee and juices.  As the debarkation letter instructed us to do, we went to deck five and were supposed to be met by a Key representative who would escort us off the ship. Got there and no Key rep. The staff told us join the line with the others even though we told them we had the key. The lineup wasn’t long so we got off the ship fairly quickly. Luggage was in an area with large Key signs over them. Picked up our bags and got through customs fairly quickly.

Final thoughts

Overall, purchasing the Key wasn’t really worth it to me and I doubt very much that I’d get it again at the price Royal Caribbean asks for it. We bought it at $32 (Cdn) per person per day. If the internet is super important to you, (it wasn’t to us) then it has value since the on board price of the internet package alone is $20.00 (USD) per day per person. It’s just a few dollars extra for the other perks it offers when considering this. They still had the Key available on this sailing about a couple weeks before we cruised for $50 (Cdn) pppd. For what you get it's definitely not worth it at that price in my opinion . Lunch at one of the two specialty dining restaurants adds a small value, however, the choices are limited to the small selection they have on their lunch menus. Also, it doesn’t seem that the staff are well versed on the program yet considering the Key rolled out cruise wide last year. Again, I assumed perks like the carry on drop off to be on all the ships and was surprised that this ship removed that benefit. As many have said, purchasing the Key can be a benefit based on which features of it are important or attractive to you.

file-58.jpeg

file-59.jpeg

Thank you for your review. I cannot believe they did not have the luggage drop off. We sail on hots in a couple weeks. Your review is making me think hard about the key. It is our first cruise so I wanted the perks but the perks are getting too small now and without notice ahead of time. 

52 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

Sorry, that is a completely ridiculous statement! Real people asking real questions and then taking the time to  thank you for answering their questions. I have not seen ONE snarky response on the 2 closed Facebook pages I follow. I can't say the same for some of the comments on cruise critic. Obviously you do not know the difference between closed Facebook forums and general Facebook posts. 

Plenty of businesses ate leaving Facebook because of the nightmare experiences with consumers and the type of content posted.

It’s one of the worst sources of factual information, mostly used for promotional marketing and personal drama posting, as well as “look what I did” garbage.

Anyone who relies on it as a source of viable data/information might as well travel to Fantasy Island instead of Coco Cay.