New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

24 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

So $175 a person. With the internet part being between $85-100 of that. Plus $25 for the Chops lunch. With $50-65 left over for the other perks. Doesn't seem that outrageous if you were going to get internet anyways. Though if there's 200 people all trying to get the private hours and Flow Rider it's not much of a perk. 

But the numbers are totally different if you weren't planning on buying internet for everyone in your cabin. 

Whoa Nellie.  It's internet for one device only.  So if you have 2, 3 or 4 in your cabin, their uncovered expense balloons to $135-$165 each additional guest.  IMO I don't see enough to cover that kind of cost.

From the Oasis Cruise Planner for Jan 6, 2019

Introducing The Key, your premier entry exclusive and special amenities during your vacation. Step onboard worry-free and have the benefit of a personal drop-off service that delivers your carry-on bags directly to your stateroom. Followed by an exclusive lunch at Chops Grille® when you arrive. Fit more into your vacation than ever before with private hours per day at onboard activities, including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more.

Start your day off right with priority port of call debarkation. Then score the best seats in the house for our onboard shows when you reserve your spot in Cruise Planner up to 72 hours before your sailing. Share it all in real time with VOOM® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet package. End your adventure at your own pace with choice debarkation and an exclusive a la carte breakfast.

Summary of your benefits: 
• Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off located in main theater onboard and available until 1:30pm. Up to 2 carry-on bags per guest. 
• Exclusive embarkation lunch at Chops Grille® - seating from 11:30am – 1:30pm. 
• Private hours at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more. Private hour information will be provided at carry-on bag drop off in main theater, Chops Grille embarkation lunch, and your stateroom on Day 1 of your sailing. 
• Priority port of call debarkation. 
• Reserved priority seating at shows. You can ensure your priority seating one of two ways. Reserve your show of choice in the Entertainment section of Cruise Planner up to 72 hours before your sailing. Or, reserve onboard at Guest Services any day of your sailing. 
• VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet. 
• Choice debarkation with exclusive a la carte breakfast. A la carte breakfast venue confirmation will be in your stateroom on Day 1 of your sailing.

* When you receive your SeaPass card, it will have an icon confirming your purchase of The Key. The Key must be purchased prior to sailing by each guest age 6 or older assigned to the same stateroom.

Internet really only worth $11.99 for this sailing

image.png.47d753c6ace74fd705cb7910a342fd43.png

Edited by John&LaLa

6 minutes ago, starrcards said:

Whoa Nellie.  It's internet for one device only.  So if you have 2, 3 or 4 in your cabin, their uncovered expense balloons to $135-$165 each additional guest.  IMO I don't see enough to cover that kind of cost.

I don't see how they would charge the same per person but only allow 1 device per cabin. It has to be per person - as it is on all other perks. It's not like the Chops lunch on embarkation would only be for one person in the cabin!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smplybcause said:

I don't see how they would charge the same per person but only allow 1 device per cabin. It has to be per person - as it is on all other perks. It's not like the Chops lunch on embarkation would only be for one person in the cabin!

I didn't read it that way but I see your point. 

There is no way I would let my carryon out of my sight; the consequences of losing meds, electronics, jewelry, etc. are too great.  Lunch at Chops (on embarkation day only, not available every day on this program) is $22 pp, and I purchased it on sale for $17.60.  One of the draws was that it would be a peaceful place to be during the normal first-day chaos of the Windjammer, so I wonder if the larger number of people dining there will affect that.  I cruise to get away from everyday life, so the Diamond internet is enough for me.  Not interested or capable of flow rider, rock wall or skating, so no benefit to me there.  Looks like I will save $350 on each 7-night cruise.

• Like 3

For a family of 4, probably not.  But this is basically Carnivals Faster To The Fun which sells out at $99 (per cabin).

A party of 2, I think this is not a bad deal at all.  In fact, very reasonable.  I get internet anyways.  Plus Chops lunch at $25 and that leaves the cost at about $65 per person.  For priority boarding, possibly priority tenders, priority seating at the shows (this is valuable on Oasis class), priority use of the Flowrider (if you use it, this is worth WAY more than the $65 alone), priority debarkation at your ports (and tenders for non-Oasis class that does tenders), etc.  And the carryon may seem dumb to some people, but many travel with ONLY a carry on but can't drop it off at their room when they board.  It's basically their luggage and to not have to lug it around, then carry on luggage handling could be nice.  So for $65 you get quite a bit of priority access, which is kind of cheap.

I imagine they would expand on the offerings as the program matures, too.

I could imagine some people finding priority seating at 2 or 3 shows WELL WORTH the $65 extra alone.  I would definitely pay for this perk.

Edited by AlexMar
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ValerieJo said:
  • Daily private hours at signature attractions like the FlowRider, Rock Climbing wall, and ice-skating rink

Hmm I wonder when these "private hours" are.  Midnight?  6am?

Edited by time4u2go

44 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

I can hear all the "suite" guests complaining now....I paid $$$$ for my perks...and now THEY'RE getting them, too?    I reckon, you pay, you play.  Is it worth it?  Only YOU can decide.

At the price they are charging, it will probably be cheaper to upgrade to the suite.  

Aren't these the same perks that someone stated were taken away from D and D+ earlier today.  

So, Royal took the perks from those loyal to royal and are selling them back to them for a nominal fee.

It's a pass for me.  Happy Cruising.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Negative for me as well but I usually book a suite.  

On the Carnival board many people said they would not buy the faster to fun pass but it sells out every cruise.  After it sells out I’ve read of people stalking the website just to see if it becomes available again.  

I’m pretty sure this will be the same. 

We've cruised Carnival (one and done) and had FTTF since we booked a suite.  Our suite wasn't even ready until after 3:00 pm!  Hardly Faster to the Fun!

If it were $24.99 for the entire week, I'd say it was a good deal.  If it rolls out fleetwide, I'll run it by my banker (DH) to see if he thinks it's worth it.  We use a rolling carry on (and use it to haul the C-PAP), so that's not an issue.  I'd rather they do something like that on debarkation day!

Cruising Royal is lot cheaper then was 30yrs ago. Extra's don't bother me it's choice and everyone buying them keep base price down from 1980's. Back then a 7nite for 2 was $3800 in a Deck 2 tiny Port Hole cabin. Wanted a Suite then, was over $10K all in 1980's dollar's and none of the cabin's on the ships had a single Balcony then...

I could see this paying on some ships and some itineraries for some people.  I'm on Oasis soon and don't see the point for that one, but I'm on the Ovation this summer in Alaska and would totally do it for the extra activities, easy off at ports, and we use the internet a lot. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sharktums said:

I could see this paying on some ships and some itineraries for some people.  I'm on Oasis soon and don't see the point for that one, but I'm on the Ovation this summer in Alaska and would totally do it for the extra activities, easy off at ports, and we use the internet a lot. 

The port perk is for tendering.  Ovation does not tender.

55 minutes ago, joand452 said:

We've cruised Carnival (one and done) and had FTTF since we booked a suite.  Our suite wasn't even ready until after 3:00 pm!  Hardly Faster to the Fun!

If it were $24.99 for the entire week, I'd say it was a good deal.  If it rolls out fleetwide, I'll run it by my banker (DH) to see if he thinks it's worth it.  We use a rolling carry on (and use it to haul the C-PAP), so that's not an issue.  I'd rather they do something like that on debarkation day!

Bummer.  I like Carnival and always get FTTF when I can.  My room has always been ready at boarding time.  Something Royal doesn't offer no matter who you are or what you pay.  Last time I boarded at 10:45 on Magic and went straight to my room.  It was great.  I think your experience is by far the exception more than the rule.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

The port perk is for tendering.  Ovation does not tender.

Ovation does tender sometimes. We will be tendering at Mystery Island and I think she tendered at some New Zealand ports as well. Not an issue for Alaska though.

Priority disembarking is one of those things that sounds so nice in theory, and if it was just my husband and I we would love that perk. However getting my teens PLUS my MIL up and moving is no easy task and I'd bet money on us being some of the last off the ship. 🙄