Wind Spirit 7 Night Tahiti Itinerary Questions

Borrillje

Hello All!

We will be on the 7 night sailing out of Tahiti on January 3rd. I'm trying to plan our activities for each day. The Windstar website is a bit vague regarding some details I'd like to have. I'm reaching out to those who've done this cruise recently for some extra info. 

1. Which is the private island day? Is it the Tahaa day? If so, do you recall if it was possible to book private excursions that day? (I only ask because on one one of the Caribbean routes the Virgin Gorda stop was on the private island, and the only way to actually get to Virgin Gorda was to book a Windstar excursion - otherwise you were limited to the private island.)

2. I've read that there may be something happening on a motu at Bora Bora? Or maybe Raiatea? Something about a show w/ local performers? Is there more than one event? 

Basically I'm just hoping someone elaborate a little more re: the above and what happens at each stop. 

Thanks in advance!
:) Jeanne 

8 hours ago, Borrillje said:

Hello All!

We will be on the 7 night sailing out of Tahiti on January 3rd. I'm trying to plan our activities for each day. The Windstar website is a bit vague regarding some details I'd like to have. I'm reaching out to those who've done this cruise recently for some extra info. 

1. Which is the private island day? Is it the Tahaa day? If so, do you recall if it was possible to book private excursions that day? (I only ask because on one one of the Caribbean routes the Virgin Gorda stop was on the private island, and the only way to actually get to Virgin Gorda was to book a Windstar excursion - otherwise you were limited to the private island.)

2. I've read that there may be something happening on a motu at Bora Bora? Or maybe Raiatea? Something about a show w/ local performers? Is there more than one event? 

Basically I'm just hoping someone elaborate a little more re: the above and what happens at each stop. 

Thanks in advance!
:) Jeanne 

1. Which is the private island day?

A) Day four

2. Is it the Tahaa day?

A) Yes

3. Is it possible to book private excursions that day?

A) Yes. But I recommend spending the afternoon on the motu. Shuttles throughout the day.

4. I've read that there may be something happening on a motu at Bora Bora? Or maybe Raiatea?

A) It's Bora Bora. Motu Tapu.

5. Something about a show w/local performers? Is there more than one event? 

A) No. Only one event.

Recommend direct booking jet ski tour the day of your Raiatea stop. Jeremie at Raiatea Jet Ski. Did the day long private tour of Taha'a from Raiatea. Stops at rum distillery, pearl factory tour, coral gardens for snorkeling, stop for lunch on a private motu, vanilla plantation, and then back to Raiatea. And all on a jet ski! Incredible excursion and the cost is only $250 for two (lunch not included in price)!

Enjoy your cruise. We've done it twice (enjoyed it so much the first time). And hope you are able to book your air out of SFO on UAL - Under $700/person, round trip!

On our trip in July, we had a few nice touches. The boat docked in Raiatea, which featured the evening on-deck BBQ. But before the dinner, some locals were brought on board. They showed how to make the floral headband, parea tying and some of the dance steps. The stop at Tahaa was the private motu day, which included an on island lunch. And on the second day at Bora Bora, we had access to a private motu for the day with a dinner and a show in the evening. We lucked out for the evening meals but got a little rain during the lunch. Luckily they had some covered pavilions to hang out in.

We certainly enjoyed the trip and hope you have a great time.

Do either of you recall if there was a beach close to the pier in Raiatea? (I'm leaning toward the jet ski excursion but I'd like a back-up plan.) Obviously the water sports platform won't be in use if we're docked. If there's not a good beach in walking distance, were there cabs available to get to one? Or an accessible motu for swimming, etc? None of the Windstar excursions look super appealing for that day. 

There is a beach within short walking distance. However, I don't recall it being very appealing. We walked to it from the ship to get on our jet skis. My recollection is that there's a vendor who will take you to a pearl farm, and on the way back to dock you can get dropped off at a nice motu. Found this tour walking the pier at Raiatea. But again, I strongly recommend the jet ski tour.

Also did jet skiing in Bora Bora with Maitra Jet Ski. Again very enjoyable, and very reasonably priced. This vendor will pick you up at the tourist office and drop you off at Bloody Mary's on the way back if you prefer (although we didn't like it. Very, very over hyped). Maitra offers a combo jet ski and ATV tour as well.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for all the input. Does anyone recall if there were a lot of options available for those who simply walk off the boat in Raiatea? Are there cabs that will take you to the Marea? Or a pearl farm or vanilla factory? Or would we better off planning something in advance? 

Thanks!

We inquired in advance with a a guide who own a taxi in Raiatea. Look for Giovani Teahui on the web or go to FB and look for "Taxi Raiatea". He is very good and speak english. His wife even spent an evening with us during the local Heiva that was happening the day Wind Spirit was in town. The whole show was in Tahitian :-)

DSCN1272.thumb.JPG.469578283f955b884e92deaaa2dd9db3.JPG

1 hour ago, Borrillje said:

Thanks for all the input. Does anyone recall if there were a lot of options available for those who simply walk off the boat in Raiatea? Are there cabs that will take you to the Marea? Or a pearl farm or vanilla factory? Or would we better off planning something in advance? 

Thanks!

There are not a lot of options once you walk off the ship. W/S has a good job of tying up all of the excursion vendors. So if you don't sign up with W/S, you will be lucky to find anyone to provide any type of excursion. I can't say this about a private taxi option, but I can't see getting excited over an over priced taxi ride to wherever. The excursion options offered by W/S will likely be a visit to a pearl farm on Raiatea and a stopover somewhere for some snorkeling. Or possibly an excursion to Taha'a and a vanilla plantation, with a stopover somewhere (probably coral gardens) for some snorkeling. My recommendation is that you search out and book ahead of time with whomever so you don't show up empty handed. And again I recommend Raiatea Jet Ski ("RJS"). Or you can try Taha'a Jet Ski (although I don't know if they will pick you up in Raiatea). We've gone to several pearl factories and I can tell you that the one RJS took us to on Taha'a was heads and shoulders above the rest. As far as Tahitian dance shows are concerned, we've gone to several of those as well. And the absolute best we've been to was the one at Le Meridian Hotel in Papette. It was heads and shoulders above the one you will see on the W/S Bora Bora private motu evening event. The Le Meridian is one of W/S' favorite lodging vendors so if you're able to arrive a couple of days early or stay a couple of days after the cruise to be able to see the dance show, I would heartily recommend it. And that way you can go to that fabulous French bakery in the strip shopping center adjacent to the hotel. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 1:34 AM, skitrips said:

1. Which is the private island day?

A) Day four

2. Is it the Tahaa day?

A) Yes

3. Is it possible to book private excursions that day?

A) Yes. But I recommend spending the afternoon on the motu. Shuttles throughout the day.

4. I've read that there may be something happening on a motu at Bora Bora? Or maybe Raiatea?

A) It's Bora Bora. Motu Tapu.

5. Something about a show w/local performers? Is there more than one event? 

A) No. Only one event.

Recommend direct booking jet ski tour the day of your Raiatea stop. Jeremie at Raiatea Jet Ski. Did the day long private tour of Taha'a from Raiatea. Stops at rum distillery, pearl factory tour, coral gardens for snorkeling, stop for lunch on a private motu, vanilla plantation, and then back to Raiatea. And all on a jet ski! Incredible excursion and the cost is only $250 for two (lunch not included in price)!

Enjoy your cruise. We've done it twice (enjoyed it so much the first time). And hope you are able to book your air out of SFO on UAL - Under $700/person, round trip!

Hi!

Just an update - I emailed Raiatea Jet Ski today and booked the Tahaa tour with them - for our Raiatea day. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I think we have all of our port days planned now. So excited. Fingers crossed for some good weather while we're there!

Thanks again!

:) 

On 11/11/2018 at 6:15 PM, skitrips said:

There are not a lot of options once you walk off the ship. W/S has a good job of tying up all of the excursion vendors. So if you don't sign up with W/S, you will be lucky to find anyone to provide any type of excursion. I can't say this about a private taxi option, but I can't see getting excited over an over priced taxi ride to wherever. The excursion options offered by W/S will likely be a visit to a pearl farm on Raiatea and a stopover somewhere for some snorkeling. Or possibly an excursion to Taha'a and a vanilla plantation, with a stopover somewhere (probably coral gardens) for some snorkeling. My recommendation is that you search out and book ahead of time with whomever so you don't show up empty handed. And again I recommend Raiatea Jet Ski ("RJS"). Or you can try Taha'a Jet Ski (although I don't know if they will pick you up in Raiatea). We've gone to several pearl factories and I can tell you that the one RJS took us to on Taha'a was heads and shoulders above the rest. As far as Tahitian dance shows are concerned, we've gone to several of those as well. And the absolute best we've been to was the one at Le Meridian Hotel in Papette. It was heads and shoulders above the one you will see on the W/S Bora Bora private motu evening event. The Le Meridian is one of W/S' favorite lodging vendors so if you're able to arrive a couple of days early or stay a couple of days after the cruise to be able to see the dance show, I would heartily recommend it. And that way you can go to that fabulous French bakery in the strip shopping center adjacent to the hotel. Good luck!

The boulangerie is indeed fantastic, I felt like we were in Paris. Nice people, great goods, a baguette is still the standard Euro (more or less) quick walk with 2 minutes on the road then you’re in a parking lot. The entire walk took five. The bakery is just past the grocery store which is well stocked with basics. . Our driver also raves about the French Restaurant that’s behind the pharmacy. I lost the name but you can’t miss it, there’s just the one. She said it has a French feel about it. The hotel, now a Sofitel, is nice but not luxurious. Our “ocean view” is mostly blocked by palm trees. After our itin a full sized bus plus a small van, both full, went there. Most were on a day room plan, and the place the next day feels very empty. 

milepig is correct about the French restaurant in the strip mall just before Le Meridian Hotel. It's called Chez Remy. Check out the reviews on trip advisor. Glad to hear Borrillje was able to make contact with Jeremie from Raiatea Jet Ski. When you next speak to him, ask what happened to the pictures he took during our excursion this last September? He said he would be e-mailing them, but they never came. Tell him we were the couple that took he and his wife to lunch at the Tahaa Resort Hotel during our excursion. Jeremie was supposed to have taken us to another more secluded motu (can't remember the name) which sounded far more interesting (I'm sure he will remember the name). We had a problem because a tour group was apparently visiting the motu that day. But if you can go there, I think it will be far better. In any event, enjoy your cruise!

Hello all,

We're booked on the Dec 6 sailing for a week and are traveling with another couple. We decided to book the Raiatea Jet Ski based on all the great reviews. I can't remember who on this thread has sailed Tahiti with Windstar but am wondering what water sports equipment Windstar has for use off the sports platform? Are there paddle boards? 

Thanks,

Deb 

• 1 month later...