Newbee Question - what to wear?

Fortunate2

We're new at this but footloose and ready to cruise!   We pretty well understand the evening requirements (good, better & best) but it's during the days at sea and shore excursions where we're stumped.   First cruise of four planned is on the Silver Spirit, Caribbean, January 18th.  The information from SS doesn't connect with pictures we've seen for shore excursions - for men, shorts and polo shirts seem to be uniform.  For sea days - haven't come close to figuring it out so any tips and suggestions will be most appreciated.

I'm sure this won't be the last question but it's a start...with thanks.

Shorts and t-shirt is fine, including in the restaurants during the day. I'd say usual manners and etiquette applies. Round the pool topless and Speedos are fine.... But not in reception or "inside" locations. 

No shorts after 6 in bars or restaurants except hot rocks.

On tours, obviously any places that require you to cover up should be adhered to, though not obviously a Silversea thing, just being respectful.

23 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Not always ...

Swimming trunks not allowed or not wearing a shirt?

I've never seen any male asked to cover up. (Or female for that matter, though the OP was asking about men's wear unless I've misunderstood.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fortunate2 said:

For sea days - haven't come close to figuring it out so any tips and suggestions will be most appreciated.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Silversea forum!  I think you'll find lots of helpful folks here willing to share their experience with you.

Les37b's response is spot on.  The only thing I would add is that sea days are probably the most diverse in what you'll see around the ship, everything from swimming suits with cover ups for women and t-shirts or sun shirts for men, to really smart and sharp casual wear.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy your first voyage on Silversea!

We will also be on that cruise and the answers you have gotten here are, in my experience, quite correct. I would not fret about day time wear on sea days as it is extremely varied.

Jim 

The term “topless” is usually used in reference to females sunbathing without a top. The male equilivent would be “shirtless”.  Perhaps both of these terms are now considered sexist...but I guess different dress standards for men vs women would also be equally sexist.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sunprince said:

The term “topless” is usually used in reference to females sunbathing without a top. The male equilivent would be “shirtless”.  Perhaps both of these terms are now considered sexist...but I guess different dress standards for men vs women would also be equally sexist.  

Interesting topic!

Well I've certainly never described a man not wearing a top as "shirtless", though would have guessed what that implied had it been said. What would he be when wearing a sweater as a top with no shirt? And removing the sweater?

OP did ask specifically for menswear, which I didn't see a problem with the answer given, but apologies for any confusion. I've never thought of topless being gender specific. I'm quite surprised if I'm honest!

Good job I didn't say wearing just pants on deck will be frowned upon! Or that Football is a sport played by participants kicking the ball to each other and using hands will be a foul apart from one player and only in a certain part of the pitch! The joys of language eh!

I'm guessing the triv questions will be keenly contested with this crowd! Remember, if the CD asks whats the most northerly Capital, it's Reykjavik, Iceland. And make sure you include location, country and the punctuation correctly, or it'll be nil point for you! lol

Enjoy your cruise Sunprince... and echo the welcome.

PS - Not that you had asked, but I have seen topless ladies on Med cruises too, though I expect any objection there might be could considered an ageist thing rather than modesty. I'm certainly not aware of any rule saying ladies cant remove their tops when sunbathing, but guess everything is objectionable to someone somewhere.... but there is no rule as far as I'm aware. Common sense prevails I think!

I am by no means a prude (I'm a doctor - seen it all) but it's the difference between Speedos (aka budgie smugglers) and swimming trunks to which I was referring. Too much visual information does not enhance one's poolside pleasure.

And not to be sexist, IMO the same applies to ill advised swimsuit choices by ladies.

Yes, people should be free to wear as much or as little as they like, but surely there should be some consideration for pax who find too many body bits paraded in front of them unattractive? 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, les37b said:

Interesting topic!

Well I've certainly never described a man not wearing a top as "shirtless", though would have guessed what that implied had it been said. What would he be when wearing a sweater as a top with no shirt? And removing the sweater?

OP did ask specifically for menswear, which I didn't see a problem with the answer given, but apologies for any confusion. I've never thought of topless being gender specific. I'm quite surprised if I'm honest!

Good job I didn't say wearing just pants on deck will be frowned upon! Or that Football is a sport played by participants kicking the ball to each other and using hands will be a foul apart from one player and only in a certain part of the pitch! The joys of language eh!

I'm guessing the triv questions will be keenly contested with this crowd! Remember, if the CD asks whats the most northerly Capital, it's Reykjavik, Iceland. And make sure you include location, country and the punctuation correctly, or it'll be nil point for you! lol

Enjoy your cruise Sunprince... and echo the welcome.

PS - Not that you had asked, but I have seen topless ladies on Med cruises too, though I expect any objection there might be could considered an ageist thing rather than modesty. I'm certainly not aware of any rule saying ladies cant remove their tops when sunbathing, but guess everything is objectionable to someone somewhere.... but there is no rule as far as I'm aware. Common sense prevails I think!

Just for the fun of it, here are some official definitions:

top·less
/ˈtäpləs/
adjective
  1. (of a woman or a woman's item of clothing) having or leaving the breasts uncovered.
    "a topless dancer"
    synonyms: half-naked, bare-breasted, bare-chested, semi-nude, shirtless
    "topless sunbathers"
    • (of a place such as a bar or beach) where there are women wearing topless clothing.
      "a topless beach"

shirt·less
      /ˈSHərtləs/
      adjective
      1. (especially of a man) wearing no clothes above the waist.
        "shirtless young men posing"

15 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

top·less
/ˈtäpləs/
adjective
  1. (of a woman or a woman's item of clothing) having or leaving the breasts uncovered.
    "a topless dancer"
    "topless sunbathers"
    • (of a place such as a bar or beach) where there are women wearing topless clothing.
      "a topless beach"

shirt·less
      /ˈSHərtləs/
      adjective

If that is from the internet then it’s become American ‘english’ dominated. Those of us who were brought up and educated to speak the Queen’s might beg to disagree.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I am by no means a prude (I'm a doctor - seen it all) but it's the difference between Speedos (aka budgie smugglers) and swimming trunks to which I was referring. Too much visual information does not enhance one's poolside pleasure.

And not to be sexist, IMO the same applies to ill advised swimsuit choices by ladies.

Yes, people should be free to wear as much or as little as they like, but surely there should be some consideration for pax who find too many body bits paraded in front of them unattractive? 

English language again, Speedos are swimming trunks.

3 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

top·less
/ˈtäpləs/
adjective
    "a topless dancer"
    "topless sunbathers"
      "a topless beach"

shirt·less
      /ˈSHərtləs/
      adjective

Yes, I did actually look at online definitions previously, which was why I said "I've never thought of "topless" being gender specific. I'm quite surprised if I'm honest!"

And the term "shirtless", isn't something I've heard anyone use.

I could of course post google links showing its use referring to males being topless, but little point and to fair the OP asked for males dress so I really didn't think anyone would think different gender was added mid sentence! It's use is a valid description even if you disagree.

And as it happens, JollyJones has now clarified she was referring to Speedos being objectionable - not the use of the term topless, so really is a mute point and maybe would have been better to let her answer for herself without presenting your language theory. I was good enough to provide other examples where US English varies with the rest of the world, so lets just leave it at that. 

So back to the "objection". I personally wear swimming shorts if I ever go in a pool or lounge around, so you will be thankful you wont be subjected to unnecessary bulges you may find unattractive from me. However, like I also said in my reply, people will always find things to object about. Would I find skimpy swimming trunks an issue? No, nor would I try to tell someone they should wear something more modest. I wont disagree, I've seen men (and women) on the ships who I could list a multitude of things I didnt like about one thing or another. The important part that was asked, was a dress code and "i dont like them" isn't a reason for them not to be allowed. 

Sure I've witnessed sights that can't be unseen, but I tend not to be bothered about someone else embarrassing themselves if they are "dressing" in a way it really doesn't suit. (You really need (IMHO) to have a six pack and good body proportions for skimpy trunks to work - but that's not the objection here.) What next? Overweight or Old people not allowed on deck in case they offend? I think its another thing just like the dress code itself that we can agree to disagree.

Of course, there are things that are far worse. Like ignorant people disobeying the rules and smoking stinky cigars on the pool deck to the detriment of everyone else. 

I've never heard of the term "budgie Smugglars" before (even though I instantly understood the style you meant).

Would you object to this fella being on board with you?

On 11/7/2018 at 8:32 AM, Silver Spectre said:

English language again, Speedos are swimming trunks.

Indeed, divided by a common language.

To me, Speedos, a trade name, refer to small skin tight lycra knickers which leave little to the imagination. Swim trunks are shorts, the length may vary, but are generally loose enough to be fairly flattering to most body types.

Sure there's lots of unattractive sights around the pool, and the ship, and I don't think they should be forbidden, but lighten up guys! My comment was mostly in jest.

PS Budgie smugglers is the Australian term for Speedos.

PPS I'm cruising, aboard the Spirit, and the wifi is worse than usual so I'm not looking at the boards so often.

Edited by jollyjones

23 hours ago, les37b said:

Yes, I did actually look at online definitions previously, which was why I said "I've never thought of "topless" being gender specific. I'm quite surprised if I'm honest!"

And the term "shirtless", isn't something I've heard anyone use.

I could of course post google links showing its use referring to males being topless, but little point and to fair the OP asked for males dress so I really didn't think anyone would think different gender was added mid sentence! It's use is a valid description even if you disagree.

And as it happens, JollyJones has now clarified she was referring to Speedos being objectionable - not the use of the term topless, so really is a mute point and maybe would have been better to let her answer for herself without presenting your language theory. I was good enough to provide other examples where US English varies with the rest of the world, so lets just leave it at that. 

So back to the "objection". I personally wear swimming shorts if I ever go in a pool or lounge around, so you will be thankful you wont be subjected to unnecessary bulges you may find unattractive from me. However, like I also said in my reply, people will always find things to object about. Would I find skimpy swimming trunks an issue? No, nor would I try to tell someone they should wear something more modest. I wont disagree, I've seen men (and women) on the ships who I could list a multitude of things I didnt like about one thing or another. The important part that was asked, was a dress code and "i dont like them" isn't a reason for them not to be allowed. 

Sure I've witnessed sights that can't be unseen, but I tend not to be bothered about someone else embarrassing themselves if they are "dressing" in a way it really doesn't suit. (You really need (IMHO) to have a six pack and good body proportions for skimpy trunks to work - but that's not the objection here.) What next? Overweight or Old people not allowed on deck in case they offend? I think its another thing just like the dress code itself that we can agree to disagree.

Of course, there are things that are far worse. Like ignorant people disobeying the rules and smoking stinky cigars on the pool deck to the detriment of everyone else. 

I've never heard of the term "budgie Smugglars" before (even though I instantly understood the style you meant).

Would you object to this fella being on board with you?

https://www.silversea.com/travel-informations/faq.html

At Silversea, the comfort, enjoyment, and safety of all guests is paramount. Most areas on board are non-smoking, and, as a safety precaution, smoking is not permitted in guests suites or guest suite verandas or balconies and in all public areas, lounges and bars. However, cigarette, cigar, electronic cigarette and pipe smoking is permitted only in the Connoisseur’s Corner and in specifically designated areas. These areas include designated tables and seating outside of the Panorama Lounge and the Pool Bar“ 

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Indeed, divided by a common language.

To me, Speedos, a trade name, refer to small skin tight lycra knickers which leave little to the imagination. Swim trunks are shorts, the length may vary, but are generally loose enough to be fairly flattering to most body types.

Sure there's lots of unattractive sights around the pool, and the ship, and I don't think they should be forbidden, but lighten up guys! My comment was mostly in jest.

PS Budgie smugglers is the Australian term for Speedos.

PPS I'm cruising, aboard the Spirit, and the wifi is worse than usual so I'm not looking at the boards so often.

Actually men do not wear knickers unless they are in the closet or are transitioning.

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I'm well aware there are smoking areas by the bar on the pool deck. My objection is to those smoking stinky cigars away from designated areas which is why I said breaking the rules. This applies to anywhere, but I mentioned specifically the pool deck because it was the area being discussed I'm sure even your recollection of Silversea vessels knows that doesn't mean the whole deck? Or maybe you didn't?

Funnily your post from SS doesn't include another place smoking that IS allowed - on the terrace to one side of La Terrazza. If you look through your database, you will recall the objections to individuals (friends of the owners) who ignorantly lit up in the centre despite objections from other guests who left without finishing their meals on my Singapore to Hong Kong cruise a few months ago. Maybe you missed the thread? :classic_laugh:

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

How are you finding things? (Asking purely after seeing the negative review posted yesterday on the Spirit cruise mostly criticising the food and staff in the restaurants.) Hopefully things are back to normal!

5 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Actually men do not wear knickers unless they are in the closet or are transitioning.

Of course men wear knickers, you may choose to call them underpants but knickers are knickers. And knickers are quite different from shorts. 

Knicker nit picking!

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2018 at 7:28 AM, Silver Spectre said:

If that is from the internet then it’s become American ‘english’ dominated. Those of us who were brought up and educated to speak the Queen’s might beg to disagree.

Silver Spectre, Interesting comment...what do you mean by “ brought up and educated to speak the Queens”.  Does that apply to someone who lives in a country where the Queen is the head of state, or just in the UK or only in England proper? Given the abundance of slang used in the UK alone,  I’m not sure what you really mean? There are differences in how we all speak English, regardless of where we are from, one is neither right nor wrong from the other.  

Happy and healthy sailing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sunprince said:

Silver Spectre, Interesting comment...what do you mean by “ brought up and educated to speak the Queens”.  Does that apply to someone who lives in a country where the Queen is the head of state, or just in the UK or only in England proper? Given the abundance of slang used in the UK alone,  I’m not sure what you really mean? There are differences in how we all speak English, regardless of where we are from, one is neither right nor wrong from the other.  

Happy and healthy sailing. 

If I say England proper, then that will upset the Scots, many of whom speak perfect English. The Welsh of course are another matter, and it’s best not to even think about NI. Many countries (but excluding our penal colonies) who keep the Queen as head are also excellent English speakers. Those who revolted against us are generally beyond the pale.

• Haha 1