Curling irons on Viking?

soccermomkat

Okay - not the most important part of my trip, but the documentation says no curling irons.  Really?  I’m going to have a really bad hair week if I can’t take my curling iron.  Has anyone got any experience with this?  If I bring my travel curling iron, will it be confiscated?  

3 hours ago, soccermomkat said:

Okay - not the most important part of my trip, but the documentation says no curling irons.  Really?  I’m going to have a really bad hair week if I can’t take my curling iron.  Has anyone got any experience with this?  If I bring my travel curling iron, will it be confiscated?  

Really. No curling irons.  They are a fire hazard. Please don't even try to use one because you put everyone at risk. On board electrical systems are different from what you have in your home and just because it works at home doesn't mean it will be safe to use on board.

Here is what Viking says in their FAQ:

Please note that heat-producing appliances, such as irons, steamers, curling irons and heaters, are potential safety hazards and therefore not permitted on board. Hair dryers are provided on board and in our hotels so you likely do not need to bring one with you.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, soccermomkat said:

Pleas post what cruise you're taking so those of us who do not want to be on a ship with an electrical fire can avoid that cruise.

• Like 2

There are other river cruise lines who permit curling irons, as noted in other threads on this topic. If it's a priority, choose one of those lines. I did. [not for hair appliances; I wasn't considering Viking anyway, but it worked out that Avalon does allow curling irons].

14 minutes ago, acwmom said:

Avalon, as Hoyaheel mentions, allows them. Uniworld allows them. AmaWaterways does not allow them to be brought on board, but has some at the front desk for passenger use.

Robin

Is it just me but would anyone want to use a curling iron that others have used ewie!  No thank you, I’ll do without.

Common sense would seem to dictate that if one brings a curling iron on board, but never takes it out of one's luggage, there should be no problem?  Many guests are staying at hotels before and/or after the cruise, where they could be used.

I don't expect the curling iron police to search our luggage...................

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 3:56 PM, sharkster77 said:

Common sense would seem to dictate that if one brings a curling iron on board, but never takes it out of one's luggage, there should be no problem?  Many guests are staying at hotels before and/or after the cruise, where they could be used.

I don't expect the curling iron police to search our luggage...................

“Not permitted on board”.

I can see why you think common sense trumps the rules...😎

35 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

“Not permitted on board”.

I can see why you think common sense trumps the rules...😎

Snarky attack not necessary............

Perhaps wording of the rule should be:  "USE of curling irons.......  strictly prohibited"

Are you really breaking the spirit of the rule if the device NEVER LEAVES ONE'S LUGGAGE????

It's ludicrous that wife is to use a curling iron pre-cruise at a land-based hotel, THROW IT AWAY, then purchase another one post-cruise?  Now THAT is ridiculous.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 2

Well, I'm thinking--who looks through your luggage when you board the ship?  While I really can't speak to the rules about curling irons, I never travel without my mini clothes steamer.  I would look like I slept in my clothes if it didn't come with me.  I do have an adaptor, if needed, but it has never been a problem.  

You are absolutely right and obviously care for the safety of your fellow passengers.  I, too, would like to look my best when traveling, but have found that I will just have to put up with whatever my hair decides to do and consider myself lucky just to be experiencing the joy of travel.  Good luck!!

Perhaps my comments are misunderstood---we are not concerned about getting caught--if it's not allowed, it's never going to see the light of day.  It's not going to be a safety issue if it is never plugged in!!  We value safety over vanity.

Edited by sharkster77

• 9 months later...
59 minutes ago, wilhelgr said:

Viking does not check your luggage, so you can bring a curling iron on board.  Don't leave it plugged in or in sight of the maids. 

Do you always disregard rules and regulations i.e. do you stop at red lights.

The rules are there as curling irons generate heat, could overload the ships circuitry possibly  leading to a fire.

1 hour ago, G.M.T. said:

The rules are there as curling irons generate heat, could overload the ships circuitry possibly  leading to a fire.

Viking has changed their rules and now allows curling irons, per another thread (that included a link to the new policy on the Viking website, I believe)

Yes, Viking has updated their policy to align with other Cruise Lines. It seems that the electrical systems that can handle blow dryers, can accommodate curling irons/ flat irons after all.  

We must remember though to use our common sense when using them, including ensuring that the adapter / converter issues are aligned.  I have heard from several people that curling irons which have digital temperature displays, often won’t heat up. Dual voltage models have no issues apparently.

I myself have purchased an European one so as to not have to worry. Just a thought.

56 minutes ago, Shipswap said:

It seems that the electrical systems that can handle blow dryers, can accommodate curling irons/ flat irons after all.

I always thought that it also had to do with the quality of hair dryers and curling irons themselves. Some of them were of such poor quality they were a hazard.

15 hours ago, Shipswap said:

I myself have purchased an European one so as to not have to worry. Just a thought.

Ditto, though I don't often travel with it (I go "au naturel" for hair quite often when I travel). I prefer having 220v to dual voltage - had a dual voltage a few years back and didn't like its performance at home OR abroad. As always, YMMV....

3 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Ditto, though I don't often travel with it (I go "au naturel" for hair quite often when I travel). I prefer having 220v to dual voltage - had a dual voltage a few years back and didn't like its performance at home OR abroad. As always, YMMV....

However, if you are only cruising and not staying any nights in a hotel (or are willing to go au naturel for those nights), you don't need a special curling iron for travel; just bring your everyday device. There are 120 outlets in the cabin -- no power converter needed.

BUT, do remember that you cannot plug it in the shaver plug in the bathroom. That particular outlet cannot handle the high wattage of dryers and curling irons and it will fry the outlet. Of if it doesn't fry the outlet, it won't provide enough wattage to heat the iron.