Cost for adding non-refundable excursions to travel insurance

7 hours ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Can anyone tell me approximately how much it might add to the cost of one's travel insurance if several hundred dollars in nonrefundable private (non ship) excursions are added? My TA's response was "not much." 

You'll probably get more and better choices for travel insurance from someone other than your travel agent (as shown by the answer to your question, which is just silly).

We use

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL them, don't just rely upon the online summaries, as the fine print can really matter.

We've used policies we purchased through TIS from Travel Insured.

Our experience is that the cost of covering non-refundable excursions is no different from any other non-refundable costs, and -->  it will depend upon the total of those extra costs.  

GC

I agree. I was not happy with her response. I sent a *more specific* email asking for clarification. 🙄

I have used Steve's insurance company before, but I made an error this time (and it won't happen again!) and failed to contact him within the required time for that all-important clause, so I had to go with the insurance from the TA this time as she has included it. 

I am just looking for something in the ballpark like: For every $500 of non refundable excursion costs, your trip insurance will increase by approximately 5% or by $10 or by ???

Just looking for a general idea....

9 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

I agree. I was not happy with her response. I sent a *more specific* email asking for clarification. 🙄

I have used Steve's insurance company before, but I made an error this time (and it won't happen again!) and failed to contact him within the required time for that all-important clause, so I had to go with the insurance from the TA this time as she has included it. 

I am just looking for something in the ballpark like: For every $500 of non refundable excursion costs, your trip insurance will increase by approximately 5% or by $10 or by ???

Contact Steve et al., again.

There is at least one policy that might not have the short time requirement from initial purchase (it can be instead within 24 hours of *final* payment).

Good luck!

GC

If nothing else, just make a mock booking of purchasing insurance at Steve’s site.

make a mock booking before the excursions, back out of his site, then add the excursions and see what the price difference is.

Edited by klfrodo

15 hours ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

I do not know what company your insurance is with, and your age is also a factor in the amount, but as a rough general rule of thumb you will pay approximately 10% of the value of the travel component being insured.