Medication rules....Dubai

quby33

Glad you have raised that because I rattle when I jump with all my prescribed medicine.

Aware of Codeine ban but will need to check all my tablet. Beware going ashore but still taking your tablets because if you end up having a blood test for any reason and barred drugs are in you system you are in trouble with the law

9 minutes ago, Rotherham_Cruiser said:

Glad you have raised that because I rattle when I jump with all my prescribed medicine.

Aware of Codeine ban but will need to check all my tablet. Beware going ashore but still taking your tablets because if you end up having a blood test for any reason and barred drugs are in you system you are in trouble with the law

It's a massive list, pages of it!

7 hours ago, Rotherham_Cruiser said:

Codeine isn't banned. Did you not read the information in the PDF? While certain drugs are absolutely banned, most of the drugs listed are allowed if the necessary steps are followed. The lists are mostly concerned with narcotics and psychotropic drugs, but certain stimulants and steroids are also listed.

Seriously, what is the likelihood that you would get off the ship in Dubai for a day trip and  end up having to get a blood test? Yeah, you might get run over by a taxi and end up in the hospital, but the likelihood is pretty remote. And FYI: a "blood test for any reason" would not show drugs in your blood stream unless it was specifically testing for drugs. A CBC isn't going to show a drug profile. Scaremongering isn't helpful

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mom says said:

Codeine isn't banned. Did you not read the information in the PDF? While certain drugs are absolutely banned, most of the drugs listed are allowed if the necessary steps are followed. The lists are mostly concerned with narcotics and psychotropic drugs, but certain stimulants and steroids are also listed.

Seriously, what is the likelihood that you would get off the ship in Dubai for a day trip and  end up having to get a blood test? Yeah, you might get run over by a taxi and end up in the hospital, but the likelihood is pretty remote. And FYI: a "blood test for any reason" would not show drugs in your blood stream unless it was specifically testing for drugs. A CBC isn't going to show a drug profile. Scaremongering isn't helpful

The last thing I intend to do is scaremonger - apologies if that's how it comes across. I have seen a couple of updated lists on other posts and codeine in on the banned list but providing you have a doctor's letter and copies of your prescription you will be fine.

I have read several reports of people falling foul of the UAE approach to prescription drugs one of which included someone who fell ill and was arrested following blood tests in hospital. 

You are correct of course. Follow the steps required and you will be fine

8 hours ago, quby33 said:

Every list I've seen mentions codeine. Obviously it must have been updated.

Codeine is one of the listed controlled drugs, it is not ‘banned’.  Provided you have the supporting documentation with you then there is no issue with you carrying a quantity of any prescribed medication containing codeine for personal use, and appropriate to the length of your visit with you.  The authorities are not looking for personal use medications, the restrictions are there to stop people bringing larger quantities of controlled drugs into the country that are clearly more than for personal use...  The same applies to any of the drugs marked CD on the list, the only banned substances are those clearly identified as ‘prohibited’ most of which are classified as narcotics...

Having lived and worked here for most of my adult life I have no issue with the no tolerance drug laws here.  It was reassuring to know my kids were not ‘at risk’ throughout their school and college years, unlike those of family and friends back in the UK... The same restrictions apply to me as to those of you visiting and as I travel in and out with one drug on the CD list then I just ensure I have a copy of my authorised CD prescription with me, any other medication (prescribed or over the counter) is just in my handbag or carry on and I’ve never been checked yet... 

Anne...

Anne...

• Like 1

Hi all,

I am leaving in a few minutes to start my journey to Athens to join our ship.  We are disembarking in Dubai and spending a couple of days prior to flying home.  Just a heads up...  gabapentin (Neurontin),  a commonly prescribed medication for nerve pain is on the list of controlled drugs, that requires that you take no more than a months supply,  a current prescription, and a letter from your MD.  

• 8 months later...
On 11/10/2018 at 12:59 AM, Jayayeff said:

The same restrictions apply to me as to those of you visiting and as I travel in and out with one drug on the CD list then I just ensure I have a copy of my authorised CD prescription with me, any other medication (prescribed or over the counter) is just in my handbag or carry on and I’ve never been checked yet... 

Am I understanding this correctly? I only need to carry the copy of the authorized prescription for CD, and not for other prescriptions (ie..asthma medication/high blood pressure/ high cholesterol/allergies/nasal spray/ & stomach medicine)

Can we also bring in Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Gravol.(Dimenhydrinate) or should I leave them at home and buy in Dubai?  We will be there for 3 days before we board for a cruise.

1 hour ago, vizslapup said:

Am I understanding this correctly? I only need to carry the copy of the authorized prescription for CD, and not for other prescriptions (ie..asthma medication/high blood pressure/ high cholesterol/allergies/nasal spray/ & stomach medicine)

Can we also bring in Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Gravol.(Dimenhydrinate) or should I leave them at home and buy in Dubai?  We will be there for 3 days before we board for a cruise.

There is no problem at all carrying medications, prescribed or available over the counter provided they do not contain any of the listed substances that are either controlled or prohibited.  Any medication containing substances that are listed as controlled must have supporting documentation with them.   I too am asthmatic and just carry my inhalers and the one medicine I take that is in tablet form in my handbag without supporting prescriptions.... 

Tylenol can be bought over the counter here but I’m not familiar with Gravol

Anne...

42 minutes ago, Jayayeff said:

There is no problem at all carrying medications, prescribed or available over the counter provided they do not contain any of the listed substances that are either controlled or prohibited.  Any medication containing substances that are listed as controlled must have supporting documentation with them.   I too am asthmatic and just carry my inhalers and the one medicine I take that is in tablet form in my handbag without supporting prescriptions.... 

Tylenol can be bought over the counter here but I’m not familiar with Gravol

Anne...

Thanks Anne for your quick response.

So just checking 1 last time; I CAN bring the Tylenol with me , and the Gravol (for motion sickness) too, and don’t need to buy it there, as long as it is not on the list.

PS: I have been following another thread with the roll call for my cruise and have made note of MANY of your suggestions and advice...thank you .. even though it wasn’t specifically addressed to me 

Margrethe 

7 hours ago, vizslapup said:

Thanks Anne for your quick response.

So just checking 1 last time; I CAN bring the Tylenol with me , and the Gravol (for motion sickness) too, and don’t need to buy it there, as long as it is not on the list.

PS: I have been following another thread with the roll call for my cruise and have made note of MANY of your suggestions and advice...thank you .. even though it wasn’t specifically addressed to me 

Margrethe 

Yes, you can bring them both with you provided no compound in their make-up is on the list and you only carry sufficient quantity for personal use.....

Enjoy your visit, and your cruise..,

Anne..

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Summer35 said:

Hi,

where do I find the list or how do I find out, if my medication is on the list? I carry histamin tablets for my allergie, high blood pressuer tablet , and nasal spray with me. Also tablets against sea sickness and the cold.

They are all OK as they are not narcotics. If any of those are prescription drugs (probably the blood pressure tablets) carry a copy of your prescription just in case, but you will almost certainly have no problems on arrival at Dubai. We didn't!

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I do need Co Codamol at times (it contains a small amount of codeine with parcetamol), but it is easily and cheaply available over the counter here, so my doctor does not prescribe it.  We are visiting at the end of a cruise for a couple days so Icould throw away more than about half a dozen tablets which I would need to keep with me in case I need them.  Would I really need to get my doctor to write a prescription for that, so I can have it with me as I enter Dubai?

We visited Dubai about 3 years ago and I would have had some with me then, but perhaps I was just lucky not being caught.  What would happen if I just take it with me and it is found by officials, could I be prosecuted for trying to take it in?  I am sure most people would not even be aware of theses laws.

Edited by tring

9 hours ago, tring said:

I do need Co Codamol at times (it contains a small amount of codeine with parcetamol), but it is easily and cheaply available over the counter here, so my doctor does not prescribe it.  We are visiting at the end of a cruise for a couple days so Icould throw away more than about half a dozen tablets which I would need to keep with me in case I need them.  Would I really need to get my doctor to write a prescription for that, so I can have it with me as I enter Dubai?

We visited Dubai about 3 years ago and I would have had some with me then, but perhaps I was just lucky not being caught.  What would happen if I just take it with me and it is found by officials, could I be prosecuted for trying to take it in?  I am sure most people would not even be aware of theses laws.

Any medication containing an amount of Codeine (or any other opioid) is restricted here and can only be issued under prescription.  If you need to have it with you, and there is no alternative that does not contain Codeine, then you'll need to be covered by an original  prescription or doctors note/certificate noting why the drug has been prescribed.  As I've said previously the authorities are not looking for visitors carrying small amounts of controlled drugs for personal use, but the law is the law and whilst you may have travelled with them in the past, and could well do so again now, there is always the risk of a random inspection.  Personally, I don't consider the minor inconvenience of having covering paperwork with you worth the risk of the 'drug' being found, no matter how small that may be...

Anne...

5 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Any medication containing an amount of Codeine (or any other opioid) is restricted here and can only be issued under prescription.  If you need to have it with you, and there is no alternative that does not contain Codeine, then you'll need to be covered by an original  prescription or doctors note/certificate noting why the drug has been prescribed.  As I've said previously the authorities are not looking for visitors carrying small amounts of controlled drugs for personal use, but the law is the law and whilst you may have travelled with them in the past, and could well do so again now, there is always the risk of a random inspection.  Personally, I don't consider the minor inconvenience of having covering paperwork with you worth the risk of the 'drug' being found, no matter how small that may be...

Anne...

Thanks for the reply, I see your point.

I could ask for a doctors note regards that, which I would need to pay for, but as you say probably worth it for peace of mind if nothing else.  I was at the doctors this morning and there was mention on a notice that over the counter medicines will not be available on prescription at all now, which is reasonable considering cut backs to our NHS.

I still feel that if a few tablets are found the worst that would likely happen is that they would be taken away from me if I claim I did not know about the restrictions, but then I would likely need to see a doctor over there which would cost/be inconvenient anyway.  I may speak to a local pharmacist here first to see if there is any suggestion for an alternative. 

Edited by tring

49 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Do prescription drugs that are not on the controlled list need to be in original bottle from the pharmacy? 

The 'rules' say to keep drugs in the original packaging, so I reckon the answer is yes!

Simon

9 hours ago, sddsddean said:

The 'rules' say to keep drugs in the original packaging, so I reckon the answer is yes!

Simon

Absolutely... All medication should be kept in original packaging and not decanted into those daily/weekly individual dosage containers...

Anne....

• 1 month later...