Just Back from Silver Spirit - Disappointing

avalon1025

On 11/9/2018 at 1:57 PM, boblerm said:

Westwoodfolk, I am taking my first SS cruise on the Spirit in Feb, and am very interested in knowing what sort of items are available "off menu" that one may wish to special order.  Are there some special dishes that SS veterans "in the know" suggest?

Thanks, 

Bob

We were given two alternative menus, one was the room service menu (pasta with red sauce, burger, etc), the other looked to be a kids menu?  chicken fingers and hot dogs....

On 11/10/2018 at 4:01 AM, hypercafe said:

We were on the same trip and must say it was the worst trip I have ever been on due to the weather. The first half of the trip was a wipe out due to snow, sleet, fog, rain closed and wrecked ports. Of course this was the part I really wanted to see and the part where I have never been. I should of known better than go up there this late in the season. I was very impressed with the Spirit as she looked like a new ship and almost identical to the Muse in many respects. The only leftover seemed to be the show lounge. We had cabin 1117 which was added to the ship during the stretch, it was beautiful and very quiet with everything working 100%. I have to agree with the OP to some degree about the food. I never had a bad meal however there is no wow factor in any of it for me which I expect at this price point. I find the never changing menu gets boring and the room service menu like a diner. We were in New England the heart of shell fish and lobster. I expected a clambake theme special  lunch/dinner instead they had a English Pub Lunch? Yes, I know I could of special ordered things however having dinner should not require as much work as it does on the Muse and Spirit.  

Our best meals were all off the ship, we had a great lobster in Bar Harbor (at one of the few open restaurants!).  We also enjoyed eating in the Chateau in Quebec City (thankfully there overnight due to the storm).   I'm still sad we missed the fjord : (

On 11/10/2018 at 9:50 AM, brimary said:

Our favourite meal orders on a long cruise are surf and turf,grilled lobster Thermidor and grilled Dover sole .If we get bored with these we return to the Menu and usually enjoy it all.It is always a pleasure to have whatever we want all prepared and served with a smile.

Thanks SS!

Just to be clear, are these special order items that you are referring to, that need to be pre-ordered as opposed to regular menu items??

Bob

3 hours ago, boblerm said:

Just to be clear, are these special order items that you are referring to, that need to be pre-ordered as opposed to regular menu items?

Regular menu items in La Dame.  I've had both in the formerly named La Champagne.  Much prefer the sole to the lobster as my lobster was almost to chewy to eat.

4 hours ago, avalon1025 said:

I don't think its the technology, its the ill prepared crew using it (not their fault - poor training?) and the constant asking for room numbers.  Crystal uses an iphone type interface and honestly I never really noticed it being as obtrusive as the system on Spirit

Since the IPads were introduced I have only been asked my suite number once or twice by new staff.

I’d say we were asked at breakfast,  lunch and dinner everyday.  In the Panorama where by day five I thought it would subside, it didn’t .    Our group thought for sure they were collecting data for other uses.  

Edited by avalon1025

4 minutes ago, avalon1025 said:

I’d say we were asked at breakfast,  lunch and dinner everyday.  In the Panorama where by day five I thought it would subside.    Our group thought for sure they were collecting data for other uses.  

Sorry to hear that, it must have been beyond annoying 

Don't know if the asking of suite numbers is maybe a new policy. We were asked at every dining venue every time we entered by the person seating us . This was not when the iPad's came into play while ordering.The iPad's were used by the waiters.

Maybe I'm just an easy-going individual but I really don't find being asked for my suite number an unduly demanding situation. I merely need to recite 3 digits. On the Whisper last month we were asked a few times in the first few days until the relevant inquisitor knew us by sight. It seems such a small thing to even mention, never mind complain about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, sugar333 said:

Don't know if the asking of suite numbers is maybe a new policy. We were asked at every dining venue every time we entered by the person seating us . This was not when the iPad's came into play while ordering.The iPad's were used by the waiters.

Isn't it likely that the server gets your info wirelessly on iPad from host desk.  That is, the Jones family is at the server's table XX.  He needs gluten free.  They like sparkling water.  They like to be out in an hour.  No bread or butter.  Etc.  It's all there on the iPad.  

13 hours ago, boblerm said:

Just to be clear, are these special order items that you are referring to, that need to be pre-ordered as opposed to regular menu items??

Bob

Special orders made day before with Maitre d in main dining room.They have always delivered as requested most of our requests are not MDR regular menu items.

10 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Regular menu items in La Dame.  I've had both in the formerly named La Champagne.  Much prefer the sole to the lobster as my lobster was almost to chewy to eat.

11 minutes ago, brimary said:

Special orders made day before with Maitre d in main dining room.They have always delivered as requested most of our requests are not MDR regular menu items.

Thank you Stumblefoot and brimary,

Sorry if I'm being a little dense, do I understand correctly that I can pre-order items that are on the La Dame menu in Atlantide, provided that I do so a day ahead?

Bob

4 hours ago, boblerm said:

Sorry if I'm being a little dense, do I understand correctly that I can pre-order items that are on the La Dame menu in Atlantide, provided that I do so a day ahead?

Bob

You can preorder with 24 hours notice whatever you wish provided they have it on board.It does not have to be a menu item from one of the restaurants.It has worked well for us over twenty years and we have always had the requested meal provided for us.

3 minutes ago, brimary said:

You can preorder with 24 hours notice whatever you wish provided they have it on board.It does not have to be a menu item from one of the restaurants.It has worked well for us over twenty years and we have always had the requested meal provided for us.

Thank you, that is great to know. 

This is why I love Cruise Critic! 

Am I right in thinking .... or is it a case of having another brain burp ... that on the MDR menu there was an ‘Always Available’ section as well as the menu of the day? But I am thinking this was on the smaller ships, pre Muse and multiple dining options?

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Am I right in thinking .... or is it a case of having another brain burp ... that on the MDR menu there was an ‘Always Available’ section as well as the menu of the day? But I am thinking this was on the smaller ships, pre Muse and multiple dining options?

There is,  it’s just the room service menu that you can access anywhere on the ship

We did the TA as well in Sept. Weather was awful, but that's not SS's fault. Must agree with the non changing menu. It was getting tedious after the first week, however we had no complaints with the food quality except for a funky French steak. Slate plates a little silly, but not a deal breaker. Service we received was quick, pleasant and efficient. We thought the wine service (thanks to Karolina) was superb. Different choices each night and if you wanted "that white from 5 days ago", it came in a flash. Both champagnes ("Blue Top" and Pommery) were lovely and a definate cut above what Regent is currently serving. Not sure what Crystal is serving at the moment. "Our" bartender always greeted us by name and knew what we liked.....

It will be interesting to see how SS changes in the near future, now that it's a RCI member....

We were on the Muse for a TA in April. The dining is virtually identical to the Spirit. We found the multiple restaurant venues more than made up for constant menus. And that was without partaking of the outdoor venues for dinner due the the cold temperatures. 

I just wanted to offer another viewpoint. We very much enjoyed the cruise, including the dining. 

On 11/13/2018 at 6:33 AM, boblerm said:

Bob

Sorry that I missed your post Bob, but glad to see that Brimary has you covered.  I find that I'm just not on Cruise Critic like I used to be since CC no longer has a mobile app.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Sorry that I missed your post Bob, but glad to see that Brimary has you covered.  I find that I'm just not on Cruise Critic like I used to be since CC no longer has a mobile app.

Thank you, Stumblefoot.  It seems that quite a few frequent CC posters mention on various forums that they are not posting as frequently since the new format took effect.  I think that this is most unfortunate, because I think that CC is an invaluable resource, thanks to the info provided by members.  

I may be in the minority, but I am finding that the new format is as good, or even better than the old.  As to the mobile app, I find it very easy to access with a device by placing a shortcut to the boards on my home screen, with one click, I can easily access all of the forums, and get instant notifications of my followed threads.

Bob

On 11/13/2018 at 3:33 AM, boblerm said:

If this is true it would seem to take away from the special evening at La Dame.  We thought the food would be unique and available only in that particular venue.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

16 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Have to agree and I am surprised that CC has stopped treating this as a major bug and insist it’s a future feature request.

15 hours ago, boblerm said:

Thank you, Stumblefoot.  It seems that quite a few frequent CC posters mention on various forums that they are not posting as frequently since the new format took effect.  I think that this is most unfortunate, because I think that CC is an invaluable resource, thanks to the info provided by members.  

I may be in the minority, but I am finding that the new format is as good, or even better than the old.  As to the mobile app, I find it very easy to access with a device by placing a shortcut to the boards on my home screen, with one click, I can easily access all of the forums, and get instant notifications of my followed threads.

Bob

I think you are missing the point that the app was very easy to use for inexperienced users and also allowed sizing of photos, a huge benefit when using slow, ship WiFi. No one is knocking the format, just the loss of tried and tested functionality.

On 11/16/2018 at 3:07 PM, boblerm said:

I think that this is most unfortunate, because I think that CC is an invaluable resource, thanks to the info provided by members.  

As to the mobile app, I find it very easy to access with a device by placing a shortcut to the boards on my home screen, with one click, I can easily access all of the forums, and get instant notifications of my followed threads.

Oh, I definitely agree that CC is a great resource.  People here in the SS forum have been so helpful to me over the years.  And, we’ve enjoyed meeting several members during Meet & Mingles whole on board a ship.

It’s just the mobile app used to be such a breeze as it was just a single tap to launch and the entire forum was at your fingertips.  If I may ask, how do you place a shortcut to your mobile phone’s home screen?  I know how to add apps, but have no clue on creating a shortcut on my phone’s home screen.  If by home screen you meant in your internet browser, then I’m good to go.  Thx!