Virginia to Port Everglades help needed

Fivelinks

Hello,

We are driving from Virginia to Port Everglades in early January for a cruise and are looking for people who have done this that can offer advice on SAFE areas with CLEAN hotels along 95 or close by to stay. Any advice on a half way point along 95 for the first night? Also is it better to stay about 45 min outside of Ft Lauderdale to save money, or is it worth it to spend more and get close the port the night before? I have had recommendations for both... the best argument is for hotels with free parking rather than using port or park and go parking. Finally is there anything we must stop and see since we have 2 days of lesiure driving? I hear historical areas in Georgia are lovely, and some of the beaches are worth getting off 95 to see and stay at. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

We commute a couple of times a year round trip between the Shenandoah Valley (used to be in Arlington) and our house just north of Fort Lauderdale.  We always stop for the night en route in Walterboro, SC.  The exit has a number of hotels and our favorite is one of the cheapest:  the Econolodge.  It is an old style motel, the rooms have been completely renovated, the owner has flowers all around the grounds and in the rooms and staff is very kind.  If you stop in Walterboro ignore the chain restaurants at the exit and drive into town (about 4 miles) and go to Carmine's Trattoria.  Great food and friendly wait staff including Nicole (Carmine's wife).

If you have time en route, St. Augustine just south of Jacksonville is definitely worth a visit.  Savannah is on our list but we haven't stopped their yet.

I would spend the second night in Fort Lauderdale - especially if you have a hotel with free parking.  Then you have absolutely no worries about getting to the port the next morning.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

Many have elected to stop for the night in Jacksonville, FL.

If you stick with national chain hotels/motels you will discover plenty of them are in safe areas and if they aren't clean, then you ask for your money back.

Hotels in Ft. Lauderdale are not outrageously priced. Again, check out the pricing on line for several brands.

What are doing with your car? Are you driving a rental or your own vehicle? If your own, where do intend to park it during the cruise. You ought to look here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

Jim

This link https://www.i95exitguide.com/ has been very helpful for me in planning our car trip to Miami.  You can use it with a map to determine where you might want to stop and then scope out motels/hotels and restaurants.  It also includes rest areas and attractions.  I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At Exit 102 on I-95, just west of Savannah, GA there are at least a half dozen reasonably priced motels. Louisville Road runs from there right into the center of Savannah, where there are a number of fun restaurants along the river.  We stopped at that exit a number of times - less than a half hour into Savannah - which is really worth the stop. It should be at about your halfway mark — we hit a number of times after spending the previous night in Lexington, VA.

As long as you are driving, you should take advantage of attractive stops on the way.  Plan a stop in Charleston, SC on your way home.

I've yet to find a hotel that isn't satisfactory....depends on what you want to spend!  We look for an exit with lots of dining choices...it's likely you'll have to drive to dinner, if that's when you're stopping...

We can actually make Jacksonville from Fredericksburg in about 11 hours, more or less, depending on weather and traffic.  They have a great area  (I forget what it's called...it's on the river...Jax walk??), with shops, food/drink, and sometimes, entertainment.  If you leave early enough in the morning, you can get to Ft. Laud in about 5 hours.

We've driven twice from Raleigh, N.C. The first time, we stayed at Port St. Lucie, which is about 90 miles north of Port Everglades. The second time we stayed near Vero Beach, which is around 120 miles north of the port.

We did not have any problems finding a hotel when we were ready to stop for the night the first time we drove down. The second time, however, all the hotels were sold out. The confluence of Daytona weekend, President's Day weekend, spring training for baseball, and a PGA tournament caused hotels to sell out. I learned to check availability and make reservations ahead of time if it looks like hotel rooms will be hard to find. We finally lucked out getting a room that a hotel had not rented because the keycard reader did not work. The manager had to let us in with her physical pass key.

I wouldn't want to be much farther north of the port. 

Edited by geoherb

I suggest using google maps.  Segment your trip into a rough estimate of how long you want to drive.  Move the map to the nearest town.  Use the search feature to show hotels and restaurants in that area.  You can also see hotel reviews on Trip Adviser.com.  

Personally, we don't have an issue with stopping as much as four hours short of the port the day before the cruise.  Get up early and you should be at the port before they even open the doors for checkin.   We support the conventional wisdom of arriving at the port the day prior if you are flying.  Particularly, if you're flying from the NorthEast in the winter.  Otherwise a short drive the morning of the cruise can save you a significant amount.

If you do decide to spend the night in Fort Lauderdale, here is some good information for you:

https://www.sunny.org/

You'll find more information in the Florida Departures Forum.

Edited by RocketMan275

I would still recommend arriving close to the port the day before sailing.  You never know when traffic issues will arise and a four hour drive becomes a six hour drive.  You might still make the cruise, but you would probably be nervous and hassled!

3 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

I would still recommend arriving close to the port the day before sailing.  You never know when traffic issues will arise and a four hour drive becomes a six hour drive.  You might still make the cruise, but you would probably be nervous and hassled!

If you hit the road by 0700, a six hour drive puts you in the port by 1300, several hours before final boarding time.

• 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, CM1984 said:

This topic is exactly what I am looking for, with flight prices so high, we probably will drive from Virginia in November to Port Everglades.  Thank you for all the links and information.

35 minutes ago, CM1984 said:

This topic is exactly what I am looking for, with flight prices so high, we probably will drive from Virginia in November to Port Everglades.  Thank you for all the links and information.

Thanks everyone for the great information we just got back and had a great trip.  CM1984 here's what we did... Stayed in Savannah exit 104 Courtyard by Marriott both ways since it was nice and only a few months old. Lots of food choices and plenty of hotel options at this exit.  We stayed at Homewood Suites Dania Beach on Griffin Road near the port on our second night. Great choice with evening social, breakfast, shuttle,  and parking while we were on the cruise. Will definitely do this next time we cruise as well!

We stopped at the last stop in S.C. I think the town was called Harley .We had one of those 95 hotel books they hand out at rest stops. The book said Red Roof 40 a night ,called from the car owner says 44$for two people must stay on second floor. Nice place big room nice pool and hot tub owner very nice and told us to stay for light breakfast (we did not wanted to get going). All around good time B.T.Y. a man at the Hotel sent us across the street to a great little Mexican place .Good food and great prices. Do not stress about the drive (it was our first time )it will go well ,give yourself extra time and a good attitude .

18 hours ago, Fivelinks said:

We stayed at Homewood Suites Dania Beach on Griffin Road near the port on our second night. Great choice with evening social, breakfast, shuttle,  and parking while we were on the cruise.

How much did it cost for the parking?  I don't know any place that does it for free.

Last stop in SC is Hardeeville.  If you get interstate/I95 overload, get off below Savannah, preferable exit 87 and drive US 17.  It's a lovely drive and there are historic places to get off if you have the time.  It parallels I-95 some.  You can drive it all the way to Jacksonville if you like, and probably further.  And if you get caught up in a traffic tie-up on 95, it is good to know you can take 17.  Granted, the sped limit isn't 70+...EM

• 7 months later...

Hi Friends, I am back and have a question.  But first, all of your advice helped us tremendously when we drove from Virginia to Tampa this past April.  Thank you.

We will be driving to Fort Lauderdale in November for an Eastern Caribbean cruise on HA Nieuw Amsterdam.  From home to our hotel is 963 miles.  We would like to get closer to F.L. on the first day, so we wouldn’t have as far to drive on the next.  

I know Walterboro is about half,  but we want to be further.

Suggestions, please?  Thanks!

CM1984 - We stop at Walterboro on our trips between Fort Lauderdale and northern Virginia but you are correct that if you are planning to board the ship after the overnight that is a long drive to Fort Lauderdale (about 7 hours) and you don't want to risk missing the ship.  I would try to get to Daytona Beach at least before stopping.  The next morning you'll have a 3 1/2 hour or so drive.  That's easily doable without having to get on the road at the crack of dawn.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, CM1984 said:

Hi Friends, I am back and have a question.  But first, all of your advice helped us tremendously when we drove from Virginia to Tampa this past April.  Thank you.

We will be driving to Fort Lauderdale in November for an Eastern Caribbean cruise on HA Nieuw Amsterdam.  From home to our hotel is 963 miles.  We would like to get closer to F.L. on the first day, so we wouldn’t have as far to drive on the next.  

I know Walterboro is about half,  but we want to be further.

Suggestions, please?  Thanks!

Sounds like you plan to spend the night before boarding in FL - I would suggest you make day one long and hard - to St. Augustine - giving you an easy  290 miles and 4 hours the second day.

• Like 1