Caribbean ports

We are going on a Caribbean cruise in March 19 on the Explorer. We haven't been to the Caribbean before but have cruised around the Mediterranean a few times. I'm seeing a lot of posts about trips and beaches you pay to go to. When we went to the Mediterranean there were at least a few places we could get off the ship and walk around or walk to the beach. I'm realising that in the Caribbean you either go on an excursion or pay to go on a beach which means charges for every port. Is this right or am I getting the wrong impression?

It depends on the port but yes, it's true to say there are some 'on costs' associated with the Caribbean.  

Phillipsburg e.g. you can catch the water taxi adjacent to the port about $8 pp return last time I think we went - then the beach is free but we always buy loungers and an umbrella to share which cost about $15 - $20 depending on how far round the bay you go - the further the cheaper!  Sometimes a free drink is included in beach furniture hire.  It is possible to walk round the bay here to the beach which is free if you're up for a 20 minute level walk - or thereabouts. 

Grenada also has a water taxi to the beach - probably same kind of cost as above. 

Similarly Tortola the popular thing to do is get the beach bus (just outside the port) to Cane Garden then you need beach furniture when you get there.  (Not sure of the condition of the beach here after the hurricane last year.)

If you go to a hotel/resort costs will usually include beach furniture and transport.  You have to weigh up the comparative costs. An all inclusive resort will of course be much more expensive. 

It all depends on the ports you are visiting - sometimes there is a private beach eg Doctors Cave Beach at Montego Bay where there is a small charge and again you have furniture to hire.  

We generally adopt a DiY approach and seldom do ship's trips - in some places eg Antigua, Barbados we use the local buses and there is a lot of availability of local tours/taxis in the Caribbean - which generally work out a cheaper. 

If you tell us which ports you're visiting I'm sure you'll get some recommendations but it's fair to say that we do factor in a reasonable amount at each port for beach costs - even if the  beaches are free.  (After ending up looking like a pin cushion after once just putting towels on the sand we always buy loungers but you may feel able to dispense with that cost.)

Edited by kruzseeka

10 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

It depends on the port but yes, it's true to say there are some 'on costs' associated with the Caribbean.  

Phillipsburg e.g. you can catch the water taxi adjacent to the port about $8 pp return last time I think we went - then the beach is free but we always buy loungers and an umbrella to share which cost about $15 - $20 depending on how far round the bay you go - the further the cheaper!  Sometimes a free drink is included in beach furniture hire.  It is possible to walk round the bay here to the beach which is free if you're up for a 20 minute level walk - or thereabouts. 

Grenada also has a water taxi to the beach - probably same kind of cost as above. 

Similarly Tortola the popular thing to do is get the beach bus (just outside the port) to Cane Garden then you need beach furniture when you get there.  (Not sure of the condition of the beach here after the hurricane last year.)

If you go to a hotel/resort costs will usually include beach furniture and transport.  You have to weigh up the comparative costs. An all inclusive resort will of course be much more expensive. 

It all depends on the ports you are visiting - sometimes there is a private beach eg Doctors Cave Beach at Montego Bay where there is a small charge and again you have furniture to hire.  

We generally adopt a DiY approach and seldom do ship's trips - in some places eg Antigua, Barbados we use the local buses and there is a lot of availability of local tours/taxis in the Caribbean - which generally work out a cheaper. 

If you tell us which ports you're visiting I'm sure you'll get some recommendations but it's fair to say that we do factor in a reasonable amount at each port for beach costs - even if the  beaches are free.  (After ending up looking like a pin cushion after once just putting towels on the sand we always buy loungers but you may feel able to dispense with that cost.)

i Think Kruzseeka has put the package in a nutshell, with Tortola we will get the bus for the island tour a must i think $20 per person ,st Kitts plenty of shops for the wife,me i find local bar, Antigua have been twice to Dickensons beach twenty min,s from ship lovely and clean, Bequia just mix with the locals lovely for just walking, we are joining Discovery 17th march, enjoy your cruise.

The Caribbean us the easiest place for DIY, you don't need to pay for ship trips.  Every port will have taxis, usually shared mini buses, at around $20 per person for a few hours tour. Often they will drop you at a beach at the end of the tour and pick you up later. You usually pay when you finish your tour.  We always get off early as there are sometimes several ships in port and we then get back in plenty of time for a walk round the local town.  In St.Lucia there's a nice beach called Vigie beach which you can walk to depending on where you dock, otherwise it's around $5 per person for a taxi. Ask the driver to pick you up at an arranged time. The beach us free and you can hire beds if you want to. No need for sunshade as there is plenty of natural shade.

Luckily there are resources like the ports of call on CC or Tripadvisor as well plus you can check what other ships are in port same time as you to judge the competition for any DIY trips.  We did find that when our trip in Belize was rained off the tour touts at the port would only do tours they wanted and not necessarily the place you wanted to go. (dont recommend wandering around Belize much) Check also the hurricane impact on your ports as some places have lost the shade cover in storms. We have booked TUI Caribbean tours on the islands we are not familiar with purely for peace of mind and no stress. Despite having been to Antigua twice i have found it impossible to even contact my chosen hotel for a day pass after the initial email exchange they now bounce! My reasoning is that there is only a short time available in port and if you want to do anything other than collapse on a beach the tours are a good bet for organisation and safely seeing the best parts and no worries re delays or refunds if plans change.

When we went to the Mediterranean there were at least a few places we could get off the ship and walk around or walk to the beach. I'm realising that in the Caribbean you either go on an excursion or pay to go on a beach which means charges for every port. Is this right or am I getting the wrong impression?

There are many places in the Caribbean where you can get off and walk around or walk to the beach. Some beaches will be free, but for comfort some people prefer to hire beds and/or umbrellas especially if there is little or no shade. Public toilets usually have a small charge. Day passes to hotels offer more comforts and services which sometimes include drinks and/or lunch but not always.

There are also some sights/sites you could choose to visit and not all involve organised shorex, but it really depends on which ports you are visiting and what your interests are.

As suggested above, you could read about where you dock, distance to town, facilities, transport, things to do etc on several sites. They will often also say if there are taxi tours from the dock , but if not, the ports of call threads will say (see below) .

On CC go to the RESEARCH drop down and choose DESTINATIONS, also look at eg whatsinport, a personal favourite, although there are several others including cruisemapper. For more specifics go to the CC PORTS OF CALL Caribbean section where there are Q and A's for individual ports. And Tripadvisor and several others.

There are also the official Tourist Info websites for each location to read.

Even if you don't want a shorex you will also get an idea of what there is to do and see by looking at the shorex for your itinerary.

Hope some of these suggestions are helpful.