What is your favorite cruise "hack"?

grillinchillin

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:48 AM, pyropoodle said:

Got a lot of people sharing your room and running out of time to shower?   head over to the Spa and use their showers.  AHHHHmazing shower experience when compared to the in room shower...and totally free.   just please, put on some clothes when you head back to your stateroom. 

Do they by any chance have outlets and mirrors to dry hair and fix?

For those that drink but don't buy Cheers, a Manhattan is cheaper than ordering a double of whiskey but still gives you two shots.

A shot of JD is $8.25, plus $3 for a double. Or a JD Manhattan is $10.50. Saves you $0.75 each trip to the bar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I take my Guys burger to the buffet salad bar to get other fresher toppings, such crispy unshredded lettuce.  Also get a nice heap of that chunky potato salad on the side.

I also make my own chilled coffee drink, by scooping a tablespoon of powdered cocoa from the top of the hot chocolate dispenser, stirring it into hot coffee, then pouring over a yellow or green plastic cup of ice... Make sure the Lido staff don’t see you doing this 🙂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, crooooze said:

I also make my own chilled coffee drink, by scooping a tablespoon of powdered cocoa from the top of the hot chocolate dispenser, stirring it into hot coffee, then pouring over a yellow or green plastic cup of ice... Make sure the Lido staff don’t see you doing this 🙂

Please don't scoop into the cocoa mix from the dispenser. Public health should be a concern to you, I know it is to me. You know you're in the wrong because you say not to let the lido staff see you doing this. 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, crooooze said:

I take my Guys burger to the buffet salad bar to get other fresher toppings, such crispy unshredded lettuce.  Also get a nice heap of that chunky potato salad on the side.

🤢 🤮

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, dolphiness said:

Do they by any chance have outlets and mirrors to dry hair and fix?

I was hoping someone would answer this question because I honestly do not know.   it's kind of a locker room situation (at least on the ships I've been on, so can't speak to newer ships at all), so not sure I'd feel comfortable completely doing all hair and make up in there, plus, it's steamy.  I'd just towel my head up and roll back to the room to do the final fixin's, but maybe someone can clear this up for you.

Edited by pyropoodle
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 9:50 AM, carol TC said:

On 11/8/2018 at 4:09 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not really a hack, but we always bring a fan with us. Helps keep the room cool at night if we end up in a cabin that is on the warmer side. 

I have yet to sail on a ship where the room was cool enough including Alaska (where we slept with the balcony door propped open). Can't bring a fan, though. Too heavy.  Maybe a really small one?

Not so much hacks-

But we have always found that Cruise cabins are very dry so we travel with a USB humidifier, and speaking of USB getting a multi port USB to charge all of your devices

And again- not a hack but Packing Cubes are a game changer!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GMRPHRN said:

I have yet to sail on a ship where the room was cool enough including Alaska (where we slept with the balcony door propped open). Can't bring a fan, though. Too heavy.  Maybe a really small one?

Finally there are fans convenient enough to travel with! This has been a game changer for me. I’m always warm. Especially when I’m drying my hair. Now I can travel with this without taking up a lot of room and since you charge with a USB, no extra batteries necessary! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y1VZ00E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_OGH6BbME1F02B

• Like 3

On 11/9/2018 at 8:44 AM, camijo said:

My hack isn't food related.  But I take clothes pins and clip them to the bottom of the shower curtain, keeps the shower curtain in place.  My husband thought it was that way, he didn't know I did that myself.  Haha!

I do the same thing. It works great to not have the curtain sticking to you

On 11/8/2018 at 5:09 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not really a hack, but we always bring a fan with us. Helps keep the room cool at night if we end up in a cabin that is on the warmer side. 

My mom and I take Mother/Daughter cruises at least twice a year and we ALWAYS bring our individual battery operated fans. They prop right up on the nightstand and are perfect for those of us who are used to sleeping with a ceiling fan on at home. When my Hubs and I cruise together he usually bogarts both of them because no cabin will ever be cold enough for him! Plus, we live in FL so they get double duty during hurricane season 😉 GREAT ADVICE!

On 11/11/2018 at 3:33 PM, crooooze said:

How interesting! Why don't you just bring some hot chocolate packets from home instead of spreading germs like that??? Like someone else said, you know you are doing something that you shouldn't be doing........because of your comment about the Lido staff.

• Like 11

A hack our good cruisin' buddies taught us is to take about $100 in $1 bills with you.

This makes it convenient to tip the people who need tipping on the ship and in port(porters, bartenders, cab drivers, etc) without having to try to break large bills.
It also is more convenient in ports to buy small items without flashing a lot of large bills around.
Generally I only take with me what I plan spending in port and leave the rest in the room safe.

Another hack is to bring any cards or photos with you if you are on a special occasion and decorate the room with them!

We were celebrating our anniversary on our cruise and put the cards we had received on the mirror and desk.
It reminded us of the loving thoughts from our family and friends, and they got a kick out of seeing "their" card in the photos we sent them! They don't take much room either!

A hack for frequent travelers is to have a "travel journal" that you use from one trip to the next and keep notes in.
We have a checklist in ours and make sure to add any items we realized we forgot to the list for next time (or to scratch off any we realize we aren't using!).
This has helped us to become more efficient in taking what makes our trip more enjoyable and what we really don't get the use out of.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2018 at 3:33 PM, crooooze said:

I'm hoping you are joking.  My memory of the ones on the Pride were that they would be too tall to reach - not that anyone I know would think to contaminate an entire vessel of hot chocolate.  The hot chocolate only dispenses a 1/2 cup anyway - how about dispensing a cup and topping it off with coffee, or use one of the options below:

On 11/12/2018 at 7:34 PM, chrisnatca said:

I fill my Tervis Tumbler about 2/3 full of chocolate ice cream, then pour hot coffee over it.  Add ice cubes and give the whole thing a good stir.  Iced mocha coffee drink.

19 hours ago, 5PUPS said:

How interesting! Why don't you just bring some hot chocolate packets from home instead of spreading germs like that??? Like someone else said, you know you are doing something that you shouldn't be doing........because of your comment about the Lido staff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 3:45 PM, nyo1011 said:

keep your room service tray...they don't have trays on lido to carry food

I don't remember how to find it but there was a thread a few yrs ago that had a ton of "hacks" on it

Thanks, never thought about the tray --  now I won't have to balance cups or bowls of fruit & cheese from the Lido deck to my cabin.  

Edited by jbwifey
  • Like 1