What is your favorite cruise "hack"?

grillinchillin

16 minutes ago, Mommawo said:

Will carnival not provide one for you if you ask for a corkscrew?

The Room Stewards used to have a supply of them once upon a time.  And they used to be available from Room Service, as well.  I don't know if this is still true. But I assume there must be "loaner" corkscrews still available somewhere onboard.  I just carry my own travel corkscrew, like this:

image.png.8438063f1014d9734b1f73b9949bc3b9.png

Or, as others have mentioned, I bring screw-top bottles. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

not really cruise specific, buuttt...I usually toss a few dryer sheets into my luggage so when I open my suitcase, my clothes smell nice and fresh and not like they've spent hours in a suitcase. 

I do something similar, but with the perfume and cologne samples that come in the mail in store sales papers, like these:

image.png.9baf38a8e3c28cd8f29b787ae5872e6a.png

Although I don't wear perfume, and dislike the heavy fragrance of it on others, I find that these little sample sheets make good luggage deodorizers.  I like to tear off the extra paper, keeping just the fragrance-laden part, open it up, and pop one into each of the plastic bags in which my shoes are packed in my luggage, as well as one into each suitcase's interior mesh pocket.  Cheap (free, actually), easy, effective, and easily replaced when the fragrance is spent.

Edited by ShakyBeef
not just cheap, but free!
  • Like 5

On 11/12/2018 at 12:10 PM, GMRPHRN said:

I have yet to sail on a ship where the room was cool enough including Alaska (where we slept with the balcony door propped open). Can't bring a fan, though. Too heavy.  Maybe a really small one?

If you’re driving to port you can carry on any normal sized fan. We take our wind tunnel.  I feel like I can’t breathe without a fan. Lol  The hey is you do have to carry it on. 

Ps. I know this is an old post just thought I would share what we do.  🙂

• Like 2

On 1/14/2019 at 3:49 PM, Aplmac said:

I regularly wash the very tap I just turned on with my grungey hand

with soapy lather on my hands -then rinse it off, as well as my hands..

so when I turn the tap off

I know it's a clean, germ-free tap! -I just washed it.

Now...the door handle as you exit the rest room...that's another matter!! lol

I worry more about the door surface (or knob) on the OUTSIDE of the door. At least the interior of the door has a chance the person washed their hands. 

Always push open with your side or arm not your hand on the surface.

Did I mention those pesky elevator buttons? Knuckle only, or politely ask the person closest to push it.

But seriously, not that much of a 'watch out for the germ' person. Know it is out there. Wash my hands and practice practical measures. 

And enjoying this thread of ideas. A lot I do and always looking for good, practical hacks. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bookbug53 said:

I worry more about the door surface (or knob) on the OUTSIDE of the door. At least the interior of the door has a chance the person washed their hands. 

Always push open with your side or arm not your hand on the surface.

Did I mention those pesky elevator buttons? Knuckle only, or politely ask the person closest to push it.

But seriously, not that much of a 'watch out for the germ' person. Know it is out there. Wash my hands and practice practical measures. 

And enjoying this thread of ideas. A lot I do and always looking for good, practical hacks. 

I have my antibacterial wipes in suit case already that and the wine only two things packed so far 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2018 at 2:56 PM, FSHLOT said:

Not sure if its a "hack",  but I mix my lemonade and iced tea from the lido deck....:classic_biggrin:

Restaurants here in Texas sell this.  It's called an Arnold Palmer.  I have no clue why.  Apparently he must have liked mixing the two beverages together.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PlanoDebbie said:

Restaurants here in Texas sell this.  It's called an Arnold Palmer.  I have no clue why.  Apparently he must have liked mixing the two beverages together.

They do in in SC, too. It is a drink named for the professional golfer. But a *real* Arnold Palmer has vodka in it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BAMAMOMOF3 said:

I read somewhere that someone had a gadget or something unique to use in shower for shaving legs.  Does anyone know what that was or is?

A dent puller, or something similar like this:

image.png.d5a5bc9237ae0caf83878f564a029b45.png

Or, actual bath suction handles like this:

image.png.d21394329daf21c93a26ddcf0b82825e.png

Both have been mentioned and work in the same way: suction.

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

A dent puller, or something similar like this:

image.png.d5a5bc9237ae0caf83878f564a029b45.png

Or, actual bath suction handles like this:

image.png.d21394329daf21c93a26ddcf0b82825e.png

Both have been mentioned and work in the same way: suction.

I bought one of those handles from the second picture after someone suggested it on here. It was less than $6 on amazon. For now, I’ve got it on my shower and it’s TIGHT. Good quality. I’ll be taking it on our next cruise!

On 11/9/2018 at 4:32 PM, GB Chicago said:

Ships with the Alchemy Bar usually have free plates of cheese, nuts and olives to eat with your cocktails.

Goodness I have read so much and never have I ever read that anywhere. Looove this.  I like a little snack with my alcohol 

• Like 1