What is your favorite cruise "hack"?

grillinchillin

On 12/1/2018 at 7:57 PM, GUT2407 said:

slide one suitcasecunder the bed, open, then just pull it out a few inches and drop the dirties in

This is a good idea; may bring along a dryer sheet to place in the bottom of the suit case to add freshness.

2 hours ago, LoveTheSoul said:

I use Poo-Pourri toilet spray in our bathrooms at home.  I plan on bringing a small bottle with me and how appropriate - this one is called 'Ship Happens'. 🙂

https://www.amazon.com/Poo-Pourri-Before-You-Go-Toilet-Bottle-Happens/dp/B01C9R54GQ

OMG!!!!!! I may buy this version for our friends that are joining us on the cruise! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

The thing about packing, is that the more efficient you are in using the space in any container, the more you will fit in. That's easy. There are many YouTube videos tat will show you how. The problem is that then your bag will weigh a ton. That doesn't help is you are flying, or if you will have to lift it at all. I clearly demonstrated this to myself after copying one of those videos. What I learned is that for most situations, you are better off, just packing less. 

We drive, so as long as we meet Carnival's weight recommendations, we don't mind heavy suitcases. I don't think I'll ever be the type of person who "packs light." My personal philosophy is, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Within reason, of course. But I know I'm never going to pack for a week-long cruise with just a carry-on, I'm going to have my bigger suitcase anyway, so I use it for all it's worth.

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I'm going to try a version of packing cubes for our next cruise.  I saved the plastic zip bags from sheets, pillows, etc and think that they should work in a similar way.  I figure it's a good way to reuse the packaging and a cheap way to try cubes. 

That's a pretty good idea. From Bookbug's description, it sounds like they have some fancier ones, but what you're talking about seems pretty similar to the regular ones.

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2019 at 3:04 PM, vicky3vicky said:

Please don't do this!!!   This cuts down on the cooling from the A/C system for other cabins all around you.  That is what causes those "warm nights" in the cabins.  Please, please, everyone stop doing this and ruining the comfort of so many others on the ship with you!

Although this first thread I'm including a link to is from the RCI forum, it contains very informative posts from Chengkp75, a very knowledgeable cruise ship chief engineer explaining just why it is bad to prop one's balcony door open:

I had no idea. I guess I'll just bring a small battery operated fan.

Thanks for sharing ShakyBeef!

Do they not have signs up explaining why not to do this?  I imagine many people wouldn't know this if not informed.

I take a fan that operates on battery or USB plug in so I plan on bringing this with me.  Just hope everyone is aware by leaving balcony doors open that is what is creating the rooms to be warm.

Genius! We love our enos hammocks'.  You mentioned placing your hammock in others areas, do you have pics of those as well?

We don't hang the hammock in any other place on the ship, except to use as a shade for a Serenity clam shell. We just clip the clips to the underneath of the clam shell "roof" and use for either a wind breaker or a shade. We have hung our hammock in many countries but I don't have photos on this laptop since it is new. They are on my storage drive, which is unfortunately, not wireless. Its a pain. 

3 minutes ago, Athankfulheart said:

Genius! We love our enos hammocks'.  You mentioned placing your hammock in others areas, do you have pics of those as well?

We don't hang the hammock in any other place on the ship, except to use as a shade for a Serenity clam shell. We just clip the clips to the underneath of the clam shell "roof" and use for either a wind breaker or a shade. 

What is a clam shell?

4 minutes ago, Athankfulheart said:

clamshell.jpg

Now imagine your ENO clipped to the inside cross wires. 

It really does make a nice light weight sunscreen, shade, wind breaker on a chilly morning and gives privacy as well. 

clamshellENO.png

Edited by Athankfulheart
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

For instance, if I roll up 10 T-shirts into a packing cube and put the cube in my suitcase, is it really taking up less space than the 10 rolled T-shirts on their own?

I was never very interested in packing cubes until a cruise where my luggage didn't arrive until day 5!  Since then I try to fit as much as possible in my carry on.  Inside my carry on, I keep a packing cube that will fit in my "personal item" (a backpack).  That way if the plane is full and I have to check my carry on, I can put that packing cube in my personal item and have as many clothes as possible with me.

I use the medium cube from the set linked below, and it's amazing what I can fit in it - two pairs of shorts, bathing suit, cover up, dress, sweater, long pants, top, running shirt, running shorts, sports bra, short socks, 3 pairs of underwear, PJs and sandals. These aren't compression cubes, but zipping the cube does compress its contents.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078VZXNYX/ref=twister_B017XCZX18?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use a few other packing cubes since I have them, but mostly for organization. I use ziplocks as well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LoveTheSoul said:

Thanks for sharing ShakyBeef!

Do they not have signs up explaining why not to do this?  I imagine many people wouldn't know this if not informed.

I take a fan that operates on battery or USB plug in so I plan on bringing this with me.  Just hope everyone is aware by leaving balcony doors open that is what is creating the rooms to be warm.

From what I've read on this forum, many (most? all? don't know) balcony doors have signs. But, for instance, take the image in the thread you linked to. That sign is worded very politely and just says things like "for your comfort" and "conserves energy." I think they should word it in such a way that calls attention to causing problems with the ship's HVAC systems and should say "Do Not" instead of "please keep door closed." Point out the seriousness of doing it.

• Like 3

On 1/9/2019 at 10:35 PM, Allura_317 said:

Here are a few from the top of my head:

1. Get a side a peanut butter with melting cake (if you don't have a nut allergy...)

2. Go to Cucina del Capitano for lunch on embarkation on ships with it as it offers a free pasta bar where chefs prepare custom pasta dishes (not many know about it so it is a lot less crowded)

3. On Dream class ships, decks 6-11, save 8, have sundecks all the way forward above/below the bridge.  Pretend you are going to a forward stateroom on these decks and open the unlabeled door at the end of the hall.  (The perfect spot for sail aways)

4. If you want a sampling of entrees from the MDR, they can make pasta dishes in half portions so you don't waste as much food.

5. Blue Iguana has breakfast burritos in the morning (never had so cannot say if they are good or bad)

6. Mix the soft serve, milk, and crushed cookie to make your own milkshake (believe this was already mentioned

7. Remember the staterooms are magnetic

8. Bring storage organizers

9. Use an old card on the light thing in your room so that you don't need to worry about taking anything in and out of it or forgetting you sail and sign card

10.You can get other ice cream flavors and multiple scoops with the melting cake

11. On vista class, Mongnolian Wok is located in Jiji's with is also a good embarkation day lunch option.

12. Make your own fondue by getting the fruit plate with the melting cake.

13. This is obvious but...do all you can to enjoy your cruise!

Can you explain #9 to me? I want to better understand. I appreciate your feedback ☀️

10 minutes ago, lensonlife said:

Can you explain #9 to me? I want to better understand. I appreciate your feedback ☀️

Basically, on the newer Carnival ships, there is a little slot that you have to put a card into. This slot is like the "master" electricity control. If no card is detected in the slot, the electricity will not work. If there is a card in the slot, then the electricity will work. The "old card" can be any type of card you will NOT USE onboard. This ranges from an old credit card to a hotel room keycard. 

9 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Basically, on the newer Carnival ships, there is a little slot that you have to put a card into. This slot is like the "master" electricity control. If no card is detected in the slot, the electricity will not work. If there is a card in the slot, then the electricity will work. The "old card" can be any type of card you will NOT USE onboard. This ranges from an old credit card to a hotel room keycard. 

To clear up some confusion, can you confirm that this is only for the lights and that the power sockets will still work without a card inserted into the slot?

Just now, Sean_B said:

To clear up some confusion, can you confirm that this is only for the lights and that the power sockets will still work without a card inserted into the slot?

Unfortunately, all electricity including power sockets will not work without a card inserted in the slot. That is why people recommend you bring an old card to insert.

3 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

From what I've read on this forum, many (most? all? don't know) balcony doors have signs. But, for instance, take the image in the thread you linked to. That sign is worded very politely and just says things like "for your comfort" and "conserves energy." I think they should word it in such a way that calls attention to causing problems with the ship's HVAC systems and should say "Do Not" instead of "please keep door closed." Point out the seriousness of doing it.

"Any doors propped open will cause an alarm with an identifiable stateroom number. Rooms found to be ignoring this warning will have their balcony doors locked by ships staff." ....or something thereabouts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sean_B said:

"Any doors propped open will cause an alarm with an identifiable stateroom number. Rooms found to be ignoring this warning will have their balcony doors locked by ships staff." ....or something thereabouts.

But, realistically, that would not be feasible. Though, it might work for newer cruisers.

16 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

You can even use a playing card from a deck you can (usually) get for free at Guest Services.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Unfortunately, all electricity including power sockets will not work without a card inserted in the slot. That is why people recommend you bring an old card to insert.

Understood. I can really see that being a pain if you're trying to charge camera batteries and such.

I'll just take the room key from our pre-cruise hotel 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

But, realistically, that would not be feasible. Though, it might work for newer cruisers.

It could be feasible during a refit. It certainly wouldn't take much effort or expense and would be worth it IMO.

That's true, it doesn't even have to be a plastic card, a simple paper business card works just fine. I used a business card, I didn't try it, but I'd bet even a simple piece of heavy paper (maybe a piece of the Fun Times), torn the correct size to fit into the slot, would work too.

I think I read somewhere that even the electrical outlets are shut down when the slot doesn't have a card in it, so charging a device while you're out of the cabin, is the reason most people would want to put something in the slot while they're out of the cabin. So to be fair, unless the outlets are cut off, there's probably no real reason to circumvent the slot, which is the master electrical switch for the entire cabin.

If the workaround wasn't so simple, it would really mean that no electricity would be used in any empty cabin. I'm just guessing, but I'll bet that would reduce the electrical usage on the ship over 20 percent. The multiplier is incredible, there's probably around a thousand cabins on the ship, each with all the lights on most of the time.

2 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

It could be feasible during a refit. It certainly wouldn't take much effort or expense and would be worth it IMO.

Carnival would not spend money on that for something so petty. I feel like they would spend that money on cramming more staterooms in or something like that. 

2 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

If the workaround wasn't so simple, it would really mean that no electricity would be used in any empty cabin.

MSC has a similar system, but you must put your MSC issued keycard in, no others would work. That has its pros and cons, one being your cabin steward would not disturb you if you are in the room, but it just promotes you to buy their wristband. 

25 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Thank you! Plenty of these cards kicking around. We cruised the Sunshine in November 2015- either it wasn’t a thing or I don’t remember (very well could be). 

I never figured fluorescent lights used much electricity, unlike heaters, motors etc. 

I had an empty retail space, about 10,000 square feet, that had fluorescent lights. To discourage vandalism, I thought it would be a good idea to leave the lights on continuously, so the police would be able to see into the building at night since there was lots of glass.

I changed my mind when the first month, the electrical bill for just the lights was over $600, and that was just for one building, not a thousand cabins.

Edited by Squadleader
  • Like 1