What is your favorite cruise "hack"?

grillinchillin

23 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

I don't understand why you need to confirm anything. It's on the menu. Just order it. 

It can be confusing. There are two options for ordering an Indian meal. The first is, as you say, on the menu. With 24 HR advance notice with the maitre d'  the chef's staff will prepare a special off-menu meal for you which incorporates many of the foods being enjoyed by the Indian kitchen crew that day. I've read here that people may be asked which proteins they would prefer, e.g. chicken or beef, and what degree of spice they would like the meal prepared with. So that should clear up the confusion. I'm going to pre-order one evening on the Dream this February. If it goes well I will start a topic thread on my experience.

• Thanks 2

On 11/8/2018 at 5:44 PM, wo5m said:

If you have a cabin with a Balcony and need to quickly cool the room or quickly purge the... um... fumes from a recent bathroom visit, prop the balcony door fully open and then open your cabin door for a few seconds. The positive pressure from the inside part of the ship will blow your cabin air(and lose papers if your not careful) out the balcony.  

Been there, done that...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

bSpa showers are available to anyone on any ship... even those without a 'spa' they still have an area where you can shower.

I bring a can of Febreeze for the bathroom (no need to discuss further! ☺️)

I love Arnold Palmers (lemonade and iced tea mixed) but it's surprisingly good if you substitute the guava juice from breakfast instead of the lemonade!

Someone suggested buying a box with a red 'plus' sign on it for first aid... instead go to the dollar store and pick up a flat plastic container with little dividers. If your dollar store doesn't have them, any craft store will have them for beading etc. I then use the dividers to fill up with all the various first aid & toiletry stuff I need- antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment, bandaids, bug wipe, lip balm, mini toothpaste, floss, pain meds, antacids, even a small pair of scissors... you can adjust all the compartments to fit what you need and it has a clasp to close it securely so everything is contained in one easy package, easy to pack, keep on your counter in the bathroom. It's gotten so I use one for every trip now. Before I go I just check all the compartments and refill it with anything I need.

Ginger pills- they're really cheap and great for seasickness or if you overeat or over-indulge at the Alchemy Bar!

Edited by Shaded Lady
  • Like 3

I don't know if anyone else has posted these two.  I found them on the boards years ago before my first cruise:

1) If you have an inside cabin, leave the t.v. on at night tuned to the outside camera.   The room will gradually lighten in the morning and give the simulation of the sun rising.

2) Every night before bed, I take a picture of the next day's Fun Times. This works as a good division of the pictures from each day.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Too many to list but a few

grab a plate of salad from the buffet to add to your burger

slide one suitcasecunder the bed, open, then just pull it out a few inches and drop the dirties in

as the glasses used for Diet Coke in most bars are tiny, grab one of the larger plastic tumblers at a pool bar and get it refilled around the ship, next time you’re near the pool bar get a clean one.

all suit me fine anyway

On 11/8/2018 at 7:15 PM, coevan said:

Isn't the bacon at Guys crumbled leftover bacon from breakfast? Just get 4-6 pieces of bacon from the breakfast buffet and save them for lunch or room service makes a decent BLT.

What is this "leftover bacon" you speak of?  🤣:classic_wink:

• Haha 3

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, Chervil said:

These are the first that come to mind:

We love having scones at tea time. 
The only problem is they only have clotted cream and butter, no preserves of any kind.
My wife brings a ramekin with a plastic lid and gleans her own preserves at breakfast, then brings them to tea!
Makes the scones that much more delicious and tasty!

Have the Bottomless Bubbles or Cheers package?
Get some root beer and head to the soft-serve machine for a refreshing root beer float!
This is especially good while eating popcorn and watching the Dive-In movie!

At dessert in the MDR, in addition to whatever other treat I indulge in, I always order the fruit and cheese platter to go (they will bring it out with a lid just like room service!)
Then I take it back to the room so we can enjoy it later that evening with some of the wine we brought!

Love them all! going to try them on the next cruise!

On 11/11/2018 at 5:26 PM, DeckTime said:

I bring a dent puller suction cup and stick to the shower wall and use it to prop my foot on to shave my legs. Beats trying to balance on one leg.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-diameter-suction-cup-40993.html

My wife hates shaving her legs in those small cabin showers.  She usually goes to the spa shower, she says it is so much easier with all the room in the spa shower.

• Like 1

why is everyone saying its unsanitary to put ice cream in a cup for the coffee?

What boat has ice cream that you have to scoop out, all the ones I have been on have a soft serve machine.

No problem filling a cup right from the machine, same as filling the bowls they have there.

Pop up laundry hampers are great for families who are trying to share the small space and dont want to mix clean clothes with dirty clothes. 

Another option ...

We also use our luggage (after we stored everything in our stateroom closets and drawers) as a laundry basket too.  Then we just slide the luggage back under the bed so it's out of the way. 

2 hours ago, robc1972 said:

why is everyone saying its unsanitary to put ice cream in a cup for the coffee?

Those posters are referring to the poster who said that they take a scoop of hot chocolate powder out of a dispenser.. taking the top off and reaching into the dispenser to get the powder. The dispenser lid is at least 5 feet above the floor.

This would be on a Carnival ship.

h chocolate.jpg

Edited by Bevv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, bluesman0711 said:

Battery operated tea lights, magnet hooks, small surge protector, a hat that can lay flat in your suitcase, towel clips, coozies for port beers, a watch if you don't wear one to stay on ship's time when in port, a separate card to use for the safe, I use a Best Western or AAA card that's not a credit card and keep it with my sign and sail, a large mug to use instead of the tiny cups on lido.

Please do not bring the surge protector. They are not allowed on board.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:02 AM, pyropoodle said:

I also bring a few large/ gallon sized zip lock bags for the end of trip..i use them to put those not-quite-dry items, like perhaps swim suits from the previous day, or maybe extra smelly things like underwear so they don't stink up or dampen everything. 

they also make a small pillow when laying on the beach or by the pool.

1 hour ago, Hobbie_16 said:

Curious, What do you use this for? Just shoes? I don't typically take that many shoes on a cruise.

We don't use it for shoes at all. We keep stuff in it we need easy access to and bathroom stuff we need if someone is in the bathroom. Sunglasses, sunscreen, hair brushes, hair ties, medications, lanyards with our cards live there, nail clippers/files. If it were just 2 people, I probably wouldn't take it, but it is always 3 or 4 of us. Makes it easier if 4 people are getting ready to be able to brush and do hair while someone is using the facilities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I find the smoothies from the bar are usually too sweet.  However, mixing them with Vanilla Soft Serve makes for a perfect beverage with twice the volume.

Universal Plug adapter always gives us an additional (and sometimes the only) electric outlet.  Usually we just need the round two-prong kind, but once we needed a UK adapter.  OF COURSE, I always make sure that the items I plug into it can handle 220 volts.

126969.jpg

Edited by ShamelesslyCruising
Added additional hack
  • Like 3

I thought of another...

Night Light = USB Battery with built-in flashlight.  We usually keep one in the bathroom.  Ours holds its charge easily for a 7-day cruise with nightly use.

I have a few which I won't share, because sharing them here would dilute their value considerably as they only work well because they are not known by many.  I am sure that some of you feel the same way.

EC-Technology-22400mAh-Power-Bank-Ultra-High-Capacity-External-Battery-3-USB-Output-External-Battery-Pack-With-LED-Flashlight-Portable-Charger-for-iPhone-iPad-Samsung-Nexus-HTC-and-More-Black-Red-0-1.jpg