What is your favorite cruise "hack"?

grillinchillin

Also, not necessarily a hack, but on the last day, we usually aren't in a hurry to debark, so once we have to be out of our rooms, we drag all of our luggage with us to the MDR and have one last sit down breakfast before getting kicked off of the ship. this way, we don't have to deal with people and their luggage and fighting for seats at the breakfast buffet.   it's always a nice pleasant breakfast and hassle free.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pyropoodle said:

Also, not necessarily a hack, but on the last day, we usually aren't in a hurry to debark, so once we have to be out of our rooms, we drag all of our luggage with us to the MDR and have one last sit down breakfast before getting kicked off of the ship. this way, we don't have to deal with people and their luggage and fighting for seats at the breakfast buffet.   it's always a nice pleasant breakfast and hassle free.

Yep we are last breakfast in MDR people too. Seldom in a great hurry to disembark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martini_guy said:

Same here had a later flight once and left from breakfast to leave the ship at after 10am.

I’ve never left that late, always tr6 to think of the poor crew needing to turn around and passengers waiting to get on. Latest I’ve ever been is walking off as the give “Last Call”.

3 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

You can do this?  I was under the impression that they kick everyone off by 9 am on the last day so even if your flight isn't until afternoon you are left to wander the island lol.

Just now, Crazy4Camping said:

You can do this?  I was under the impression that they kick everyone off by 9 am on the last day so even if your flight isn't until afternoon you are left to wander the island lol.

Usually somewhere around 9:30-10:00 they start calling people by name. Seems to stop by 10:30 or 11:00, (I’ve noticed it on b2bs)

5 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

you certainly can do it.  I believe on most cruises (depending on when they arrive back in home port), you have to be out of your room around 8:00ish, so everyone has to sit around until their debark number is called.  the MDR opens early, possibly before 7, so we just get out of the room as quickly as possible so the room stewards can start turning it around for the next sailing as quickly as possible. 

we bring our belongings to the MDR, where I promise you there are already plenty of passengers enjoying a breakfast (so you won't be the only one there).   I usually finish breakfast long before they call my number and make my way to any other waiting area..., maybe once they have called while we were sitting there, so we just finished up quickly and made our way off the ship.

Prop open the cabinet door a couple inches where the mini fridge is located.  This helps to ventilate the fridge area and allows it to get colder.

Milk is always available on lido even when it’s not out, just ask.  Usually the cake area on lido has it.

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:10 PM, GMRPHRN said:

I have yet to sail on a ship where the room was cool enough including Alaska (where we slept with the balcony door propped open). Can't bring a fan, though. Too heavy.  Maybe a really small one?

I always pack a fan.  Even if the room is cool enough, it gets stuffy at times.  A small fan will at least keep the air moving. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lasko-air-stik-personal-fan-gray/3141476.p?skuId=3141476&ref=06&loc=01&msclkid=2cb5c11853331bd282039d1078c147bc&gclid=CMDMxoS7id8CFVfsDQodBb4IdA&gclsrc=ds

On 12/1/2018 at 3:35 PM, Shaded Lady said:

Ginger pills- they're really cheap and great for seasickness or if you overeat or over-indulge at the Alchemy Bar!

Seconded!  I wasn't sure if I was going to feel seasick so I brought some and faithfully took them for the first two days.  Then on the 3rd day I forgot, and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I won't do without them now!

On 12/3/2018 at 6:56 AM, ShamelesslyCruising said:

Universal Plug adapter always gives us an additional (and sometimes the only) electric outlet.  Usually we just need the round two-prong kind, but once we needed a UK adapter.  OF COURSE, I always make sure that the items I plug into it can handle 220 volts.

126969.jpg

As an aside, ANY modern smartphone will take 220 volts.  We use our phones/iPads no problem all the time in the UK with just a USB adapter for the UK plug - no need for a voltage converter.  It's the curling irons/hairdryers and shavers of the world that you need to worry about.  So charge your phone with the European/UK plug without worry, and use the North American regular one for the others.

EDIT: I should mention that the above shown plug adapter is the one you really want... that's a "European" plug and it's that type of outlet that Carnival has in addition to the North American one.  The UK one is different, it has 3 prongs and they are more rectangular shaped - this one is almost the same as the North American one but the prongs are round.

I attached an example below of what you can get that has a built in USB that fits this European plug, or just take your regular USB brick with North American end and get one of the things above in quoted post to plug it into.

b.jpg

Edited by WorkerBee74
Updated with Europe vs. UK plug description

2 hours ago, DaisyGirl55 said:

I always pack a fan.  Even if the room is cool enough, it gets stuffy at times.  A small fan will at least keep the air moving. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lasko-air-stik-personal-fan-gray/3141476.p?skuId=3141476&ref=06&loc=01&msclkid=2cb5c11853331bd282039d1078c147bc&gclid=CMDMxoS7id8CFVfsDQodBb4IdA&gclsrc=ds

Thanks for this. I can't believe this one weighs only 1.5lbs.  I am definitely buying a fan form my next cruise.

9 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

Seconded!  I wasn't sure if I was going to feel seasick so I brought some and faithfully took them for the first two days.  Then on the 3rd day I forgot, and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I won't do without them now!

For little ones, we bring a box of ginger snaps. The ones from Trader Joes are our favorite. They don't have to swallow pills that way and who objects to getting a cookie?

Another option is to put a little bit of ginger essential oil behind your ear. But mix it with coconut oil or some kind of lotion because it is a "hot" oil.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2018 at 2:41 PM, GUT2407 said:

I’ve never left that late, always tr6 to think of the poor crew needing to turn around and passengers waiting to get on. Latest I’ve ever been is walking off as the give “Last Call”.

On our cruise, "last call" was at 10:30.  We ate in the dining room about 7:30, got our carry-ons out of the room about 8:15, then waited for our number to be called near the Red Frog.  Non-priority pax didn't start getting called until almost 9.  This was on the Breeze in Galveston this July.

1 hour ago, Athankfulheart said:

Been using this fan for over a year on ships and every night at home. It fits in the palm of my hand but on the lowest of 3 speeds it moves a ton of air and makes nice white noise. Highly recommend. 

Screenshot_20181207-064358_Amazon Shopping.jpg

That’s the one I bring! I love it!

On 12/6/2018 at 3:02 PM, twswifty said:

If you have a balcony, bring a bungee cord to hold your door open while you’re in there. The nice breeze and sounds of the ocean are great while

laying in bed

Please don't do this.  If you want a breeze and sounds of the ocean bring a fan and make a recording of the ocean sounds.  Keeping your balcony door open affects the HVAC of the cabins around you (and can create a wind tunnel if someone needs to enter your cabin).

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, wo5m said:

If you have a cabin with a Balcony and need to quickly cool the room or quickly purge the... um... fumes from a recent bathroom visit, prop the balcony door fully open and then open your cabin door for a few seconds. The positive pressure from the inside part of the ship will blow your cabin air(and lose papers if your not careful) out the balcony.  

One word - PooPourri     Buy it at Bed Bath & Beyond for $9.95.  A couple of spritzes before you go and there is no smell.

• Like 3

On 11/8/2018 at 1:10 PM, bahacca said:

Over the door shoe organizer. I bought one that lives in my suitcase so I never forget it.

Indeed, a fantastic idea!

We brought one this time, and it was great!  Mostly for shoes, but also for sunscreen/aloe.

We each brought five (yes 5!) pairs of shoes.  I'm a guy, and I brought:

Dress shoes for elegant nights, some casual nights

Hiking shoes/sneakers for city walkabouts and ziplining, and casual nights

sandals for walking around the ship

flip flops for beach and pool

water shoes for horseback riding into the sea

She had similar collection.

We otherwise would have been losing them under the bed, or stashing in the suitcases, etc.

On 11/8/2018 at 8:31 PM, ScubaDuck said:

One of my favorite is taking a box of waffle cones with us on the boat. We've done it twice now, and both times got lots of asks "Where do you get those?" I just tell them "Walmart", and keep going (LOL). Heck, I even had our favorite CD Malcolm stop us while we walked through the Lido deck to ask. Of course both times we had a few left over on the last night and so we find a group of kids hanging out near the ice cream machines and share the fun 🙂

I will be doing this! and maybe my own toppings