is there any insurance against weather ( plane only)

luckyinpa

since its an insurance forum i was hoping someone had experience with NON cruise flights. just wondering if there's any insurance that gets you your money back if your flight is canceled due to weather?

i believe the delay part of any policy would cover change fees/hotel stays etc but thinking about the upcoming thanksgiving weekend here in PA its my 1st time flying during a holiday and as you know there will be no extra seats available on other flights. especially on budget spirit air who has minimal flights to start. 

so just wondering if there's an insurance that just gives your money back if 'your flight' is canceled and you are ok just throwing in the towel and not going vs staying for day or so in hotel etc. 

11 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

since its an insurance forum i was hoping someone had experience with NON cruise flights. just wondering if there's any insurance that gets you your money back if your flight is canceled due to weather?

i believe the delay part of any policy would cover change fees/hotel stays etc but thinking about the upcoming thanksgiving weekend here in PA its my 1st time flying during a holiday and as you know there will be no extra seats available on other flights. especially on budget spirit air who has minimal flights to start. 

so just wondering if there's an insurance that just gives your money back if 'your flight' is canceled and you are ok just throwing in the towel and not going vs staying for day or so in hotel etc. 

"TRAVEL" insurance covers.... travel.

You've purchased policies, IIRC.

Look at what your policies covered.  

(Or did you find something that was *only* for direct cruise-related costs?  I haven't heard of anything like that other than the coverage purchased directly from a cruise line.)

But also make sure you understand the terms of the insurance, such as whether you should take a later flight rather than "throwing in the towel" (and the insurer's money) for things like pre-paid non-refundable hotels or land excursions...

GC

Travel Guard Gold, under their listed reasons for cancelation, says “Inclement Weather causing delay or cancellation of travel”

I dont know if this means you can give up, cancel and go home (since the ship is not canceled) But it might be worth discussing with a broker under your exact scenario to find out.

Edited by cherylandtk

i did not word my question correctly. remove the cruise aspect from the question. imagine you are going to see aunt martha in california but you at worried about your flight being canceled. thats it, no cruise, no hotel. nothing just flight. 

people deal with this everyday so just wondering if there was any insurance against canceled flights

2 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

i did not word my question correctly. remove the cruise aspect from the question. imagine you are going to see aunt martha in california but you at worried about your flight being canceled. thats it, no cruise, no hotel. nothing just flight. 

people deal with this everyday so just wondering if there was any insurance against canceled flights

Again,

No, you can't insure against weather for the sample instance you are talking about.

Your only real option would be to buy fully refundable tickets. Or, buy first class tickets which are usually refundable.

I guess another option would be to take the insurance the airline offers prior to you completing the purchase. Not sure if it's good for this type of cancellation.

Yes, as a business traveler and a person who travels a lot for personal, I don't worry about "weather" related cancellations. My work takes to into Alaska where weather can be a big deal. The only insurance or self check I do is make sure the flight is running before I check out of my hotel.

Edited by klfrodo

2 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

There is nothing about the first answer above (copied below) that requires there be a cruise.

You'd need to check the wording of any policy you get (or are considering getting).

It might depend upon how long it would be before the next possible flight could get you somewhere.

Or consider CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason), although that sometimes (always??) requires that you "change your mind" more than 48 hours before the planned departure.

But in THIS case, flight only (and if you are from PA and Aunt Martha is in CA, so it's a domestic flight) situation, whatever is wrong with either a refundable ticket, or... many (most?) tickets have a cancel or change fee that is not much at all?

The insurance might cost almost as much, given how the pricing works.

But also, if your flight is outright CANCELLED, what are the terms of the ticket, in terms of refunds or credits?

This would be a rather modest "cost" in most cases.  You seem to be "looking for" a problem.

GC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"TRAVEL" insurance covers.... travel.

You've purchased policies, IIRC.

Look at what your policies covered.  

(Or did you find something that was *only* for direct cruise-related costs?  I haven't heard of anything like that other than the coverage purchased directly from a cruise line.)

But also make sure you understand the terms of the insurance, such as whether you should take a later flight rather than "throwing in the towel" (and the insurer's money) for things like pre-paid non-refundable hotels or land excursions...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GC

apparently i'm worried about nothing, i get my full price back including the price i paid for my upgraded seat. so the 90 dollar fee to cancel on the airlines website apparently is misleading. amazing this info isnt more publicly cited since its on DOTs page:

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/flight-delays-cancellations

What happens when my flight is cancelled? 

• If your flight is cancelled, most airlines will rebook you for free on their next flight to your destination as long as the flight has available seats.

• If your flight is cancelled and you choose to cancel your trip as a result, you are entitled to a refund for the unused transportation – even for non-refundable tickets.  You are also entitled to a refund for any bag fee that you paid, and any extras you may have purchased, such as a seat assignment.  

• If the airline offers you a voucher for future travel instead of a refund, you should ask the airline about any restrictions that may apply, such as blackout and expiration dates, advanced booking requirements, and limits on number of seats.

i dug thru the contract. i get all my money back after 2 hours. not bad at all and free 🙂 so it does pay to read the fine print

Involuntary In the event that Spirit is unable to provide a previously confirmed seat and is unable to reroute the guest via Spirit, Spirit will refund as indicated below: 10.2.1. If no portion of the reservation has been used, the refund will be equal to the fare paid by the guest. 10.2.2. If a portion of the reservation has been used, the refund will be equal to the amount of the unused portion. 10.2.3. Guests involved in a Spirit Airlines cancellation or delay in excess of two (2) hours will have three (3) options available to them: 1) re-accommodation, 2) a credit for future travel, or 3) a refund

Insurance companies will not generally reimburse lost airfares because they take the position that the airline should make the customer whole.   We recently had to deal with our own insurance claim and it was not fun getting caught between the airline and insurance company.    I am not a big fan of government regulation, but there really needs to be a legal "Bill of Rights" for airline passengers.  I will give you a crazy example why?  Say you purchase Business Class or First Class on a US Airline.  Now assume your flight gets canceled for legitimate reasons such as weather   The airline will normally try to get you onto the next available flight but it that means putting you in a lower class (such as economy) they will generally refuse to refund the fare difference which can be thousands of dollars.  The airline will often say that it is the passengers fault because they refused to wait 5 days until the airline had a Business or First Class seat available.  And that is just one example out of many that is a sad commentary on US airlines.  Consider the airline that charges you to check luggage, and then refuses to refund that charge after the airline loses or damages your luggage!

Hank

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...