VAT stamp

isabellalu

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

Need help and information how to make up for the missing stamps on my VAT Forms on the purchase I made in French Polynesia. Unfortunately, I missed the custom section to put stamps on the VAT forms when leaving French Polynesia. If the store does not receive the stamped forms, they'll charge me the tax on the purchase made there.

Thanks a lot,

Isabella

The French are very picky about following directions on the VAT, there is no going back as far as I know. Unfortunately I think you are out of luck. It is not only the French but entire Euro community. Anyone who travels within the EU and forgets once will not do it again. It has happened to everyone I know in that circumstance. Hope you enjoyed your cruise, we loved ours. 

• 6 months later...

Just off cruise that charged us VAT in the gift store.  Windstar lady in the store told us that we could get the VAT back at the airport. Asked for the Global Refund forms. They didn't have them. We were told to just show the receipt.  We did not get the refund.  You need the official stamped form.  We didn't get the VAT back.

If you take a cruise that stays completely in the EU, you will pay VAT on purchases in the gift store, all beverages, all spa services. etc.  Shore excursions are not taxed. If you are on an all EU cruise, buy beverage packages and prebook and pay for spa services. Otherwise, they add 23% VAT to all onboard purchaes....and you cannot get a refund.

I was on the Wind Surf 2015 Oslo to England via Tall Ships Amsterdam, no VAT on anything purchased. 2017 Venice to Rome  via Croatia and Kotor no VAT I am wondering have things changed? We did Istanbul to Athens no VAT.  That is mystifying but perhaps it is because we were not strictly in the EU. I do believe with the VAT you get back over a certain amount spent. You do not get VAT back on services or food and wine as I remember.  Yes, paper work is critical. Happy Sailing

As of 2018 the rules have changed. If you sail only in the EU, you have to pay VAT on all goods and most services.  If you stop at one non EU port, there is no VAT on anything. I just did b2b. The first cruise had a non EU stop. No VAT.  The next cruise had VAT on everything.  In some cases, the VAT is already in the price. On the cruise, when I bought things in the ship gift store, they added VAT 23% on to everything. The gift store person told us that we could get VAT back on gift store purchases at the airport when we left the EU. However, since Windstar couldn’t give us the necessary forms, we were could not get the refund. On the ship, at the embarkation for the 2nd cruise, we got a letter stating that VAT 23% would be added to all purchases....spa,  drinks, gift store, etc.  the excursions did not add VAT. It was probably already included in the price.  You may notice that cruises that are totally in EU are more expensive.  The 2 cruises that I took were 10 days non EU and 8 days in EU. The 8 day. Raise was more costly and the excursions were more expensive too.  

Thank you so much. Things certainly have  changed  since I lived there and pre Windstar Cruising traveling. We used to do land travel via car.  Good to know. I know the French are sticklers for paper work.  Always have been. Years ago we would have to submit the VAT forms with consulates, would take about 3-4 months to get the refund. I am aging myself. Happy Sailing to you and thanks again. Susanne

We were on a B2B.  On the first cruise we went out of the EU and there was no added VAT.  Second cruise had the added tax.  It would have been nice if Windstar had told the people doing B2B about the tax.  Last year I did B2B on Oceania and had the same thing happen. Oceania announced during the first cruise that you should buy what you wanted befor ethe next cruise to avoid the VAT.

We sailed back2back2back this past September and we were told if there was any wine we wanted to purchase ahead of time to help avoid the VAT tax we should do it prior to porting in Barcelona. We appreciated the heads up and saved ourselves enough to buy an extra bottle!

Wish that every cruise line inform guests when booking about the VAT taxes. We usually wait toward the end of the cruise to buy stuff from the gift store. Had we known that everything would be 23% more expensive, we would have bought stuff on the first cruise.