Actual departure time from Miami

Carolyn448

My husband and I are the Nov 15th Viking Star cruse to Cuba that the itinerary state departs from Miami at 6 pm. We have a flight that arrives in Miami at 1:30pm. If our Viking Air flight is delayed does the ship actually depart promptly at 6pm or do they wait for passengers they know are arriving late?

Departure time issues are normally at the  discretion of the Captain, in accordance with any relevant company policy. The Captain must weigh the projected arrival time(s), number of passenger against the reserve speed required to the next port.

Many other factors may also apply that are specific to the ports, regions, weather, tides, etc.

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Departure time issues are normally at the  discretion of the Captain, in accordance with any relevant company policy. The Captain must weigh the projected arrival time(s), number of passenger against the reserve speed required to the next port.

Many other factors may also apply that are specific to the ports, regions, weather, tides, etc.

Andy, I'm thinking that the heart of OP's anxiety is the fact that if they miss boat because of delayed flights they miss the whole cruise. The only two ports of call on the Cultural Cuba itinerary are in Cuba-- and getting to Cuba other than with Viking may be difficult , if not impossible.

OP leaves next week and it is just too late to change flights but for others, especially those with long flights or multiple hops, this thread may serve to point out the wisdom of coming in a day early.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Andy, I'm thinking that the heart of OP's anxiety is the fact that if they miss boat because of delayed flights they miss the whole cruise. The only two ports of call on the Cultural Cuba itinerary are in Cuba-- and getting to Cuba other than with Viking may be difficult , if not impossible.

OP leaves next week and it is just too late to change flights but for others, especially those with long flights or multiple hops, this thread may serve to point out the wisdom of coming in a day early.

If any of those day of departure flights are late, it certainly puts the Captain in a difficult spot. OMG! not many options for anyone that arrives late.

With our next cruise we start with 8 days at sea, with the first port being a remote island in French Polynesia. Even though we are only a direct 2-hr flight from L/A, we just cannot arrive day of departure. More than happy to pay an extra $100 for Viking to schedule flights a day earlier.

If we missed departure from delayed flights, missing 8-days of the cruise would be bad enough, but trying to find flights to a remote South Pacific island, would not be fun. Can't imagine how many connecting flights would be required. If we were on the Cuba cruise, we would use similar logic and arrive at least a day early.

I feel your pain!  My DH could not get any day's extra days off  so we are flying in and out the day of and I'm not thrilled.  I wouldn't have done it at all, except we overnight in Barcelona the first night.

This is the first time in many cruises we have done this and I'm sweating it out.  I wish Viking had more 8 days cruises to give us some breathing room.

I think you will be ok because the ship stays in Barcelona overnight and doesn't leave until late the next day. Still, it's a worry. We almost did the Barcelona to Rome cruise but my husband's orchestra had a gig and it didn't work. Also Barcelona has a big airport with lots of options to get there from the States. Have a good cruise!