Virgin Voyages - A evolution of NCL?

tx121

This is may be a old topic already discussed on here but I don’t visit the boards that often. I just read the cruisecritic article about the new cruise line (Virgin Voyages) and how the operations are similar to the freestyle concept with no dress codes, open dining times, specialty restaurants that are free, late port times, no buffet, etc. I also read an article where a former NCL CEO sued the Virgin Company for using his ideas about the design and operations of the ships for the new company.

I am wondering if Virgin Voyages is a evolution of NCLs freestyle program currently and if NCL will change some of their operations if Virgin Voyages is successful. I for one would be very happy if NCLs specialty restaurants all of a sudden became free. Lol! 

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

Virgin Voyages will be nothing like NCL. For starters, there will be no children. I for one am willing to pay the price for a true "haven" type atmosphere.

I don't think that it will be "Haven"....I'm picturing more "college/grad school frat party". Whether that's good or bad is up to the individual. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I don't think that it will be "Haven"....I'm picturing more "college/grad school frat party". Whether that's good or bad is up to the individual. 

So a combination of carnival and NCL but those who have A little extra to spend. Lol. I am curious about the demographic because it does seem like it is targeting the millennial group and younger. Party hard at night and get in to port later so you don’t have to wake up hungover early in the AM. Also the dining room concept is probably outdated in that demographic. I wonder if they cannot fill the ships, if they would change their concept and welcome families.

8 hours ago, kaykels said:

I think the concepts will be unique. There will be no main dining room and no buffet. And no extra dining charges.  Their first ship will have about 20 dining venues all included in the price. 

Many cruisers really enjoy a cruise ship buffet.  Not sure how not having a buffet will go over.  I for one, and not a buffet fan when on land, but I do enjoy checking them out when I cruise.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Virgin has worked hard to create a brand image of young, hip and trendy.  The target client base seems to be the same people who stay in high end, ulta modern boutique hotels and are used to paying $500/night room only and going out to high end clubs and posh nightclubs. 

My impression is that the UK/Ireland, Aus/NZ are their majority target client base - US/Canada clients will most likely be in the minority.  I foresee this heavily marketed in conjunction with Virgin Vacations ex UK point of sale as a fly/cruise holiday package offering, albeit on the upper end of the price point.

21 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I'm thinking it's going to be out of price range for most college/grad school students.

• 3 months later...

I think Virgin is the complete opposite of NCL. In fact Virgin and Viking cruises frequently use the phrase "NO NICKEL AND DIMING.'

There is not Daily service charge

There is no auto gratuity

There is no upcharge for spa or restaurants

Virgin has the opposite philosophy of NCL

2 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I think Virgin is the complete opposite of NCL. In fact Virgin and Viking cruises frequently use the phrase "NO NICKEL AND DIMING.'

There is not Daily service charge

There is no auto gratuity

There is no upcharge for spa or restaurants

Virgin has the opposite philosophy of NCL

I agree with all that, but they have a concept to include Solos,  now they will be the line with the 2nd most solo cabins on a ship, 46 without a giant supplement .

Solo on my  booked trip is $1000,  booking is $825per person/ double occupancy. $175 solo penalty is low . It's  closer to NCL than all others.  Royal is double except for solo cabins except fo 60 off 2nd passenger sales. Carnival is always double.   Celebrity is nearly always double, 

Virgin will do what Virgin does best and that's take an existing product and make it much better. Virgin voyages are actually quite affordable. Their balcony cabins start at around $2,000 per voyage so that's not bad. They also won't charge extra for specialty dining.

It will be all adults, middle-class to upper middle-class people from their late 20s to their 50s for the most part. It will be a party atmosphere but not quite as barbaric as Carnival.

NCL is just upset that another cruise line is entering the market and one that can and will hurt NCL and steal many customers. NCL should worry about NCL and how they treat their customers, not how another company plans to run business.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2018 at 6:47 AM, Two Wheels Only said:

Yeah, not like haven, but not quite college/grad school frat party.  More this expanding group of yuppies.  

As people are opting to relationships/marriage and kids much later than previous generations, and as women are more integrated into the workforce, there are a lot of yuppies/DINKS with disposable incomes that like travel, that traditional cruise lines definitely do NOT cater to.  In general cruises cater to the top 10% or so, avg income is like $100k.  The current 10% class in say the 25-40 yr group is significantly different than previously.  People are having kids way later, especially in the highly educated/professional class.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/01/15/for-most-highly-educated-women-motherhood-doesnt-start-until-the-30s/

So you have a increasingly large group of yuppies/DINKS that don't have to pay for kids, who make good money living urban areas, and who like to travel.  Like the instagram crowd (not quite the snapchat crowd yet).  Like the honeymoon in bali/maldives group.  like these:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jefffromm/2018/04/17/how-millennials-travel-and-what-it-means-for-business/#7f85c3d973d5

Edited by UnorigionalName

On 11/10/2018 at 5:49 PM, amscene1 said:

VV has been clear that that are targeting one nitch. You have to pick at least 2 from the following:

YOUNG

AFFLUENT 

LGBT 

If you check off 2 of these catagorys, you can sail VV

.... and to make this remark you need to satisfy all 3 of the following:

IGNORANT

HOMOPHOBIC

JEALOUS

6 minutes ago, shukapaw said:

.... and to make this remark you need to satisfy all 3 of the following:

IGNORANT

HOMOPHOBIC

JEALOUS

Coming from someone who has proven (on this forum) to be lgbt, just by your posts alone. 

We we should call you post Malone, the way you stalk posts from home.