Staying in Hamburg pre cruise

peritomoreno

We are sailing from Hamburg in July 2019 and are spending 2 nights pre- cruise in the city.  We are trying to work out the best location to stay, we want to avoid areas which are noisy with bars and clubs.  We would like to be able to walk to sightseeing attractions and be in a location which is safe to walk around in the evening with a choice of restaurants.

We would be grateful for any suggestions on locations and hotels.

Thanks in advance for guidance.

Last fall before the cruise, we stayed at the Vier Jahretzeiten on the Binnen Alsterlake. It is a wonderful hotel, one of the best in the world, and not as expensive as one would think. It is a Fairmont Hotel, near shopping and restaurants, but not a raucous area. 

Rather than an expensive but fabulous buffet breakfast though, we went down the street to the Starbucks and had a nice meal. 

Edited by Bigmike911

I lived many years in Hamburg. There is great public transport which makes everything easily accessible.  You might want to try somewhere on the Lange Reihe, which is near the center and also near the Aussen Alster. Or a smaller hotel in the Winterhude neighborhood. There is a very charming Japanese style hotel in that area, and a bus stops on the corner, these suggestions are close to neighborhood cafes, shops and bakeries. I'm sorry I can't remember the names of hotels,  I'm away from home at the moment and can't access that information.  But, a good hotel app and using the map function should solve that issue for you. I would recommend the Japanese style hotel, our friends loved it. (The beds are comfy and western.) 

Enjoy Hamburg.

We stayed in the Steigenberger Hotel which had nice views over the river and also about a 3 block walk through the designer shopping street to the main area where the Town Hall is. 

We were lucky to be upgraded to a suite so it made it even better.

we used Radisson Blu which is next door to Dammtor station .. we pulled our bags the short way

a short walk thru the botanical gardens brought us to many choices for dinner etc. If staying more than a day you are near all forms of public trans' and the hop on stops there too.  Easy to grab a taxi to the pier on cruise day.

The building is one of the tallest in town with a bar up top for terrific views

100_0562.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

looking at Dammtor station from our room

Edited by Capt_BJ

On 11/10/2018 at 8:31 AM, Lynnewob said:

We stayed in the Steigenberger Hotel which had nice views over the river and also about a 3 block walk through the designer shopping street to the main area where the Town Hall is. 

We were lucky to be upgraded to a suite so it made it even better.

We have also stayed here, and found the location perfect. Easy to walk to everything by the canals, and no noise to trouble you at night. Plenty of restaurants to choose from in this area.

30 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

we used Radisson Blu which is next door to Dammtor station .. we pulled our bags the short way

a short walk thru the botanical gardens brought us to many choices for dinner etc. If staying more than a day you are near all forms of public trans' and the hop on stops there too.  Easy to grab a taxi to the pier on cruise day.

The building is one of the tallest in town with a bar up top for terrific views

100_0562.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

looking at Dammtor station from our room

CCH (next to Damtor station) is a huge construction site and will remain it in 2019.

Additionally, the station is closeby with all negative aspects and restaurants in the close area are very limited. 

As for a previous recommendation, I would never recommend Lange Reihe to someone - lot of open drug related prostitution in that area 

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Like 1

The Lange Reihe is a trendy street in the St George neighborhood, full of boutiques, and cafes. It's quite close to the Aussen Alster and also the center. 

I would very much recommend the George Hotel, very slick modern style, great service, and very good reviews.

Choosing a hotel is such a personal choice; age, budget, personal style, visit goals all influence the choice.

Not everyone wants a cookie-cutter multi-national chain hotel experience. What I offered are alternatives, based on years of living in Hamburg and the experiences of visiting friends.

St. Georg is known to be a hotspot of all drug related things for decades now.

While I agree, Lange Reihe is safe to walk even in the evening, I wouldn't want to walk in many other streets next to Lange Reihe and in St. Georg by night - and I have been living in Hamburg now for 35 years.

The op's request was: "we want to avoid areas which are noisy with bars and clubs.  We would like to be able to walk to sightseeing attractions and be in a location which is safe to walk around in the evening with a choice of restaurants"

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Like 1

And while I agree with you that the George Hotel is certainly nice (and with most of what you've said about multinational hotel chains), it'll be a 30 minutes walk to Town hall and ever longer to the harbour - or you are taking the admittedly good public transportation.

That's something that the op certainly did not want in the initial post.

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2018 at 8:08 AM, Yoshikitty said:

St. Georg is known to be a hotspot of all drug related things for decades now.

While I agree, Lange Reihe is safe to walk even in the evening, I wouldn't want to walk in many other streets next to Lange Reihe and in St. Georg by night - and I have been living in Hamburg now for 35 years.

The op's request was: "we want to avoid areas which are noisy with bars and clubs.  We would like to be able to walk to sightseeing attractions and be in a location which is safe to walk around in the evening with a choice of restaurants"

I know this thread is a few weeks old now - but - I've booked the Atlantic Kempinski for our 1 night stay in Hamburg in May (free cancellation).

I picked it because it looks very close to the railway station (we are coming in from Kiel, and going out from HAM airport) - so won't need to lug our bags far, or get a taxi when we arrive. I also picked it because it was in Tomorrow Never Dies! However, I note it's also close to the area you're saying you'd avoid.

Should we switch to a different hotel?

On 12/26/2018 at 11:15 AM, Captain-John said:

I know this thread is a few weeks old now - but - I've booked the Atlantic Kempinski for our 1 night stay in Hamburg in May (free cancellation).

I picked it because it looks very close to the railway station (we are coming in from Kiel, and going out from HAM airport) - so won't need to lug our bags far, or get a taxi when we arrive. I also picked it because it was in Tomorrow Never Dies! However, I note it's also close to the area you're saying you'd avoid.

Should we switch to a different hotel?

The walk from the Hotel Atlantic to the Hauptbahnhof is easy with luggage and only takes a few minutes. The hotel is very traditional in style which makes it an interesting place to stay. The environment in the immediate vicinity of the hotel didn’t feel at all threatening and if you are doing some sightseeing, the hop on - hop off bus routes have stops nearby. Staying at any of the hotels on the southern side of the Rathaus like the Sofitel would involve a much  longer walk to the Hauptbahnhof so the Hotel Atlantic would seem to be a good choice for what you have in mind.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Hamburg!

12 minutes ago, Chornomorets said:

The walk from the Hotel Atlantic to the Hauptbahnhof is easy with luggage and only takes a few minutes. The hotel is very traditional in style which makes it an interesting place to stay. The environment in the immediate vicinity of the hotel didn’t feel at all threatening and if you are doing some sightseeing, the hop on - hop off bus routes have stops nearby. Staying at any of the hotels on the southern side of the Rathaus like the Sofitel would involve a much  longer walk to the Hauptbahnhof so the Hotel Atlantic would seem to be a good choice for what you have in mind.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Hamburg!

Thanks very much, that's helpful. We prefer to walk and DIY rather than take the bus, but don't mind 20-30 minutes walking into the main attractions - for us, it's worth it to have a short journey from the train station to the hotel, then we can do a longer journey on foot without any luggage weighing us down after we've checked in.

I did have doubts about the area after reading Yoshikitty's description of the area, but, for 1 night, and for the convenience, on balance think it's the right thing to do.

Edited by Captain-John

Just stay on the main street ( Holzdamm) when you are walking to the main station and you are good.

Nothing will happen to you in the smaller streets but it‘s not very pleasant there.

I have been an extra in Tomorrow Never Dies and most of the locations are still there.

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yoshikitty said:

Just stay on the main street ( Holzdamm) when you are walking to the main station and you are good.

Nothing will happen to you in the smaller streets but it‘s not very pleasant there.

I have been an extra in Tomorrow Never Dies and most of the locations are still there.

Thanks very much.

Wow - I am quite a big Bond fan, you are very lucky -  and although not the reason for the visit, I'll have fun spotting the locations!

I take it it's a straightforward walk to the main sites of Hamburg (other side of the station to the Atlantic?)?

12 hours ago, Captain-John said:

I take it it's a straightforward walk to the main sites of Hamburg (other side of the station to the Atlantic?)?

Yes!

If you are planning the Miniaturwelt Wunderland (toy train), make sure to book online in  advance.

Walk-in is nearly impossible

MiWuLa-Pur_2_Modrow.jpg

https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/?_ga=2.122671691.1776748284.1545987615-722247885.1545987615

Edited by Yoshikitty