Uffizi Galleries

pilot

While on the Sapphire Princess, we did a ships tour to Florence.

I pre-purchased 4 timed entry tickets to the Uffizi Galleries for 30 October 2018, for entry at 12:30. We had to wait 30 minutes in line to pick change our voucher for tickets. Then we waited 1.5 hours in the timed entry line to get in. We finally entered at 2:00. This is a neat place to visit, but I wish I hadn't wasted the money/time to go in. The entry process is very unorganized and it was a total waste of time in this beautiful city.

Unfortunately the Uffizi and the Accademia are two of the busiest sites I know of, and it is frequently recommended on these boards to avoid the Uffizi on a port day due to the difficulties you mentioned.

One option if someone simply MUST visit the Uffizi is to purchase the Firenze Card (available at some Info Points in Florence including the one across from the train station). With this card one is simply scanned in and can enter with very little wait. However, it's not cheap...

• Like 1

My wife and I spent 5 days in Florence in 2015 and found the Firenze Card to be a godsend for seeing as much as possible without standing in line. As Cruisemom42 said, it's not cheap, but compared to the cost of your cruise it's probably worth the money, even if you only use it for one day.

The mistake I made, was that I thought with a specific time to enter the Uffizi, we would be able to enter somewhere close to our scheduled time.  This is not the case.  It would have been helpful to know that the only thing  the timed ticket would get you, is in front of the people that didn't have timed tickets.

As a side note, we had timed tickets for the Vatican the next day and entered right on our scheduled time.

12 hours ago, lamchops said:

We had timed tickets in October 2017 for both the Academia and the Uffizi and entered on time in a separate line. By chance did someone direct you to the wrong line?

Yes, we were in the correct line. There are 3 doors. If you have a reservation you go to door 3 to pick up your tickets. They will not let you pick up your tickets before 10 minutes before your scheduled time.  After you get your tickets you go to door 1 (door 2 is for those purchasing same day tickets).  It was the door 1 line that we waited 1.5 hours. There were many unhappy people in our line.  

Once we we entered it wasn’t real crowded and we enjoyed our visit. 

• 4 weeks later...

If you use a tour guide service like RIL or others, the drivers often know the guards.   Our driver in 2012 basically walked us past the line at the Accademia, the guard raised the rope, we walked in, inside in 10 minutes.  DIYers spent up to 2 hours in line with timed tickets.   There is of course no guarantee this will work.