Bringing wine on board

lilybug

I am not in France at the moment or I would post a photo. If I could!

We were at the flat and the one there broke. I bought a perfectly normal everyday opener from the hardware shop in Venice. Bright green so I could find it again. Just an opener that you screw into the bottle then lift the arms to release the cork. Bog standard.

We went to start our cruise and I thought that the inspectors meant that I had a wine bottle in my bag which I strongly denied. I had to empty all my bag on the desk and they pounced on it. I never decided if it was because I was going to drill a hole in the bottom of the ship or skewer the captain.

I am trying to remember the year. 2015? Venice then around the Med and back to Civitavechia. Then we went back to Venice for another fortnight. Wasn't having another renter nicking my corkscrew which is why I took it in the first place😁.

As it is, it is a poignant reminder of happier days.

As for the knitting needles I always mention mine when taking the cross channel ferry.

Just to mention that I expect if you have it in your suitcase it will no doubt get onboard.

It was just perhaps a new thing that day. After their experience with me they maybe decided the queue wasn't worth it. 

We did, of course, have a drinks package anyway. Now I take champagne as you don't need a corkscrew.

3 hours ago, morbihan said:

Just to mention that I expect if you have it in your suitcase it will no doubt get onboard.

It was just perhaps a new thing that day. After their experience with me they maybe decided the queue wasn't worth it. 

We did, of course, have a drinks package anyway. Now I take champagne as you don't need a corkscrew.

Glad to read you now agree that taking a corkscrew aboard in checked luggage (suitcase) is perfectly acceptable and more importantly not consider a deadly weapon.  I would never carry a corkscrew in a carry-on at the air port security or at the cruise line embarkation security. 

Edited by davekathy

You really seem to have a problem.

Did you read what I posted at all?

At all times I stated that the corkscrew was in my bag and not my luggage. I was stopped and it was taken away.

I also mentioned that it had been bought in Venice just days before embarkation so wasn't packed in our suitcase which went straight onboard.

Read the posts  before you make comments and accuse people of giving false information.

I understand the corkscrew was in a bag being carried on. The point is, many of us have taken a corkscrew on, in a suitcase or a carry-on with no problems.

either they are allowed and can be brought on via checked suitcase or in a carry on, or they aren’t and can’t be brought on via either method. It doesn’t matter. 

The confiscation noted  sounds like an isolated case, and probably an overreaction or mistake by a security person. 

Den

We also have to remember that the security personnel are not employees of the cruise line -- they work for the port.  Each cruise line has its own rules.  For instance, some allow soft drinks to be brought on board, some don't.  It would be easy for a port employee to make a mistake with the specifics any cruise line instructs.  And with well over a dozen ports in use around the world by Celebrity, inconsistency is to be expected.  

17 hours ago, ghstudio said:

I just purchased a corkscrew in Barcelona, put it in my day bag and carried it on to the ship...they scanned the bag....and didn't ask or say anything.

OTOH, just after 9/11, I was passing through LaGuardia airport and the security inspectors confiscated my gum massager....now there's a terribly dangerous weapon.....As I sat on the plane, the lady in front of me sat there knitting (think about those needles).

About this same time we took a flight and my very small nail clippers with an attached nail file was confiscated. Then on comes a person with their bag of special golf clubs, too precious to be in checked baggage.

7 hours ago, morbihan said:

You really seem to have a problem.

Did you read what I posted at all?

At all times I stated that the corkscrew was in my bag and not my luggage. I was stopped and it was taken away.

I also mentioned that it had been bought in Venice just days before embarkation so wasn't packed in our suitcase which went straight onboard.

Read the posts  before you make comments and accuse people of giving false information.

Settle down. Of course I read your posts. Glad you agree bringing a corkscrew in a suitcase is perfectly acceptable. But not acceptable in any type of carry on. 

Edited by davekathy

On 11/9/2018 at 5:45 PM, dkjretired said:

Also, to add to above comments, wine is only allowed to be brought on board at embarkation, not at ports.  If you buy it at ports it will be held until you leave the ship. 

Hi, I plan to bring two bottles of our favorite wine on board when we embark at Hong Kong next week. We both have birthdays whilst on board and this will be a surprise gift for my husband, so I don't want any fuss at embark. At the port, should I have the bottles in my carry-on or in my main luggage. I understand that all luggage will be scanned at some point, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. Any thoughts??

5 hours ago, NauticalMiss said:

Hi, I plan to bring two bottles of our favorite wine on board when we embark at Hong Kong next week. We both have birthdays whilst on board and this will be a surprise gift for my husband, so I don't want any fuss at embark. At the port, should I have the bottles in my carry-on or in my main luggage. I understand that all luggage will be scanned at some point, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. Any thoughts??

I would pack the two 750 ml bottles of wine in the carry-on. Not so much for the surprise factor but not wanting to take the chance, inconvenience and wasted time of going to the naughty room. I believe you have to schlep you own suitcase to your stateroom from the naughty room. I have no experience with that.   

On boarding day, IF there is a wine shop located nearby and you have cell phones, do this:

1st pax boards with 2 bottles of wine.  If no one keeps count, signal second pax to buy another 2 bottles and bring it onboard.

Looks like how concerned X is about booze brought on board may depend on how many people have already bought booze packages.  Management hasn't gotten around to wringing every cent out, yet....

On 11/13/2018 at 3:57 PM, davekathy said:

I would pack the two 750 ml bottles of wine in the carry-on. Not so much for the surprise factor but not wanting to take the chance, inconvenience and wasted time of going to the naughty room. I believe you have to schlep you own suitcase to your stateroom from the naughty room. I have no experience with that.   

Thanks davekathy, I thought maybe that would be best. I'll take them in my carry-on bag and hopefully hubby won't realise. We have a drinks package, and I know most people would say not to bother taking stuff on board, but this wine is a particular favourite and he won't be expecting it. 

On 11/13/2018 at 6:09 PM, cruising cockroach said:

On boarding day, IF there is a wine shop located nearby and you have cell phones, do this:

1st pax boards with 2 bottles of wine.  If no one keeps count, signal second pax to buy another 2 bottles and bring it onboard.

Looks like how concerned X is about booze brought on board may depend on how many people have already bought booze packages.  Management hasn't gotten around to wringing every cent out, yet....

Thanks for the tip but I don't think my nerves could stand that level of 'subterfuge'. :classic_wink: 

We have a drinks package, so I just need to know that I can take the two special ones on board without having to visit the 'naughty room'.  

On 11/13/2018 at 1:09 PM, cruising cockroach said:

No, it's unrelated.....we just completed a TA where no one had a drink package perk and they apparently didn't care if you brought wine or any other alcohol on board. 

49 minutes ago, NauticalMiss said:

Thanks davekathy, I thought maybe that would be best. I'll take them in my carry-on bag and hopefully hubby won't realise. We have a drinks package, and I know most people would say not to bother taking stuff on board, but this wine is a particular favourite and he won't be expecting it. 

You are welcome and Bon Voyage.🥂

It’s not accurate to say that no one had a drink package perk.  They might not have had a package as an included perk, bit that doesn’t mean that they didn’t purchase one.  Especially as the many sea days began, several people we know purchased one.  Our friends boarded in Civitavechhiaa, where the ground personnel were checking for the allowed two bottles of wine per person, but added to their allowance in Barcelona, where apparently the security staff were not as vigilant.  Then they purchased beverage packages for the remainder of the transatlantic.

56 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

No, it's unrelated.....we just completed a TA where no one had a drink package perk and they apparently didn't care if you brought wine or any other alcohol on board. 

Just for my own curiosity, why doesn't Celebrity offer the BPs on TA cruises? Seems I've read that comment here on CC before. 

They offer no perks on transatlantic.    They are much cheaper than the usual two week cruise.    Perks are still included for the top suites but they always come with the rooms.   Michaels Clubs offers beverages included for all suites.   You will notice the Suite folks taking drinks and handfuls of sodas back to their cabins.   I don’t know if they share with their friends but it’s not policed.

On the TPAC last year, lots of pax had elite privileges affording them drinks coupons so maybe X thought it wasn't necessary.

FWIW, 2 ships boarding that day (other may have been a sister line RCL) so maybe the security staff were told not to enforce because they had to distinguish between policies.  By contrast, on a single ship day a few years back (non-ship) security was really working for HAL.