How light can you pack?

cruising cockroach

I pack for what we need and what we want to take and rarely have to worry about size or weight restrictions of the airline or such. I certainly wouldn't change my packing behaviour or what I pack because of anything a fellow traveller has said unless I thought it was a really good idea. (i.e packing some of my stuff in the wife's bag and vice a versa in case one bag doesn't make it.)

We work out daily, which adds a couple more dedicated outfits needed. Running shoes are purchased for exercise attributes first and color and style last. I wish running shoe companies had more non garishly colored options, so that we could get double use for trekking around cities (ugly running shoes are fine in casual nature settings, but would look weird with my usual city touring clothes....nothing seems to coordinate with glow in the dark orange, green, pink or yellow.😁

I need three to four workout sets of clothes or I would be doing wash constantly or sending out to the laundry.  So, getting by with just carry ons would never work for us.  I do admit, that as we age, hoisting the luggage up trains is getting more difficult...even with all that “working out”. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

I need three to four workout sets of clothes or I would be doing wash constantly or sending out to the laundry.  So, getting by with just carry ons would never work for us.  I do admit, that as we age, hoisting the luggage up trains is getting more difficult...even with all that “working out”. 

You need to change fabrics material.  I like cotton but stay away from that for travel as it takes too long to dry.  All the stuff I use is lightweight and quick drip dry.  I take two sets (which weigh almost nothing and packs compactly too).  Just in case one takes longer to dry or I do it too late in the day.

Shoes, I fully agree about.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I wear the heaviest shoes when flying, but other than that I try to limit shoes to walking around shoes, formal shoes and flip flops. 

Previously, I have ignored that bit of advice, instead wearing the most comfortable and easy-off (both for TSA and on the plane) velcro-closing shoe, that still has enough support to fill in on a light-walking tour day.

However, with Norwegian Air's 10kg TOTAL carryon allowance, I'm looking at wearing my heaviest lace-up walking shoes! Yuck. OTOH, I found some slip-on Skechers that weigh exactly half of the velcro-shoe. (Hmm, maybe I can wear the heavy shoes through check-in/weigh-in, and switch in the waiting area... Heaven knows you can't reach your feet in your eco-class seat!)

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I wear the heaviest shoes when flying, but other than that I try to limit shoes to walking around shoes, formal shoes and flip flops. 

We have begun wearing our runners on flights after our luggage was lost for a few days in Germany.  It was very difficult to replace our shoes in a foreign country.  We are used to buying in specialty shops that look at wear and provide recommendations.  

My point still stands, making room for an extra pair of shoes and ditching a couple outfits for workout gear makes what would be a tight in a carry on very difficult.  

The bags we check aren’t huge..in fact one is legal carry on for most US airlines.  Our other bags fit under the seat and stackable when moving around.  Works for us and I’m not washing in sinks every night and trying to shower around drying clothes. 

I wear one pair of shoes and pack a pair of very light Tevi sandals in my carry on.  DW does something similar but packs 2 pairs of very light and very compact shoes.  When we decided to travel light shoes and dress clothing were the first items to get torpedoed.   Our clothing is lightweight, easy care, matching, and layered.   The only downside is that after six or eight weeks DW is desperate to get home in order to wear something different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Previously, I have ignored that bit of advice, instead wearing the most comfortable and easy-off (both for TSA and on the plane) velcro-closing shoe, that still has enough support to fill in on a light-walking tour day.

However, with Norwegian Air's 10kg TOTAL carryon allowance, I'm looking at wearing my heaviest lace-up walking shoes! Yuck. OTOH, I found some slip-on Skechers that weigh exactly half of the velcro-shoe. (Hmm, maybe I can wear the heavy shoes through check-in/weigh-in, and switch in the waiting area... Heaven knows you can't reach your feet in your eco-class seat!)

Exactly, BTW, all my shoes are comfortable.

40 minutes ago, iancal said:

I wear one pair of shoes and pack a pair of very light Tevi sandals in my carry on.  DW does something similar but packs 2 pairs of very light and very compact shoes.  When we decided to travel light shoes and dress clothing were the first items to get torpedoed.   Our clothing is lightweight, easy care, matching, and layered.   The only downside is that after six or eight weeks DW is desperate to get home in order to wear something different.

Bring an expandable bag (we always carry a couple) to buy more stuff!

25960909871_f251a2ce4b_z.jpg

This is me dragging our bags outside the port gate at Long Beach after the port shuttle dropped us off (my wife had her small backpack with papers, essentials and computer) in the middle of nowhere far beyond the Queen Mary.

Among the acquired-on-trip stuff in those two bags were two coveralls from the ship as souvenirs, lots of (light weight compact) sports gear,  a yoga mat, and over a dozen blouses from a brand in Malaysia my wife found and liked (designed for religious modesty in mind but a trendy fashion for women of advanced middle age in N. America).  We had been travelling for 5 1/2 months at this time.

On this trip: We had (after 1st flight, omitting taxi/rental/chauffered transport) public-bussed, train, train, public bus, plane, plane,  train, train, plane, tuk-tuk, train x 2 (try this in Sri Lanka!),  bus, public bus, plane, public bus, train, train, plane, train, subway, subway, bus/bus + walk ~2km to the hotel.

To end the trip, we actually took a Princess cruise home.  Surprise on that cruise (not that we'd have used it) was no disembarkation luggage service due to the length of trip (4 nts).

Edited by cruising cockroach

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Exactly, BTW, all my shoes are comfortable.

My Adidas cross-trainers are comfortable to walk all day, but I have very high arches that want (need!) to expand upwards when I'm sitting. See above re: reaching your feet to unlace in cattle class.

I also have short legs that sometimes don't reach the floor depending on the airline! Now, how much does that inflatable footrest weigh? and will Norwegian Air be one of the airlines build for giants?

2 hours ago, cruising cockroach said:

Bring an expandable bag (we always carry a couple) to buy more stuff!

25960909871_f251a2ce4b_z.jpg

This is me dragging our bags outside the port gate at Long Beach after the port shuttle dropped us off (my wife had her small backpack with papers, essentials and computer) in the middle of nowhere far beyond the Queen Mary.

Among the acquired-on-trip stuff in those two bags were two coveralls from the ship as souvenirs, lots of (light weight compact) sports gear,  a yoga mat, and over a dozen blouses from a brand in Malaysia my wife found and liked (designed for religious modesty in mind but a trendy fashion for women of advanced middle age in N. America).  We had been travelling for 5 1/2 months at this time.

On this trip: We had (after 1st flight, omitting taxi/rental/chauffered transport) public-bussed, train, train, public bus, plane, plane,  train, train, plane, tuk-tuk, train x 2 (try this in Sri Lanka!),  bus, public bus, plane, public bus, train, train, plane, train, subway, subway, bus/bus + walk ~2km to the hotel.

To end the trip, we actually took a Princess cruise home.  Surprise on that cruise (not that we'd have used it) was no disembarkation luggage service due to the length of trip (4 nts).

That looks like more bag capacity than we bring between the two of us....but we check two?????

That trip was not carry on (we had baggage allowance for our flights).  I got a lot more stuff along the way but I did carry my big bagpack and well as the small day one up and down the accommodation ladder of the container ship (steep, narrow and bouncy) myself.  A crewman carried my wife's bag (the one I'm dragging along) up and down.  We could when we carried on for our flights but I don't have a 40-50l carry-on-sized  back pack.

14 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I also have short legs that sometimes don't reach the floor depending on the airline!

I solved this issue many years ago by stowing my backpack under the seat in front - it makes an excellent, free footrest. My backpack always has several books - the books' flay surfaces can be adjusted for the perfect height. I always roll up my travel blanket (protected by a dry cleaning bag) to use it as a lumbar support which is essential for my 5' 1.5" slim body to be comfortable. That, never booking a window or middle seat and packing light makes air travel more tolerable.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I don't remember why I didn't pull my daypack out and put my feet on it on that 14hr AirIndia flight that my feet were dangling! Seems like that would have been the obvious solution...

Ha, Mic -- you and my brother! More often than the dangling feet, my knees are touching the seat in front of me! and 6' dr'spin has to angle his legs out the entire flight. I always think, what does a TALL person *do*, if unbeknownst they get a seat like that?

I actually have pretty high hopes for upcoming Norwegian Air flight; it's a Dreamliner and previous (LATAM) 787 flights were comfortable enough.

Of all the travel/vacation options cruising is the one that encourages heavier and more luggage.  Formal nights, the faux "high society" environment (mustn't wear the same outfit twice mentality), shore excursions all contribute to bringing clothes for every possible occasion. Thankfully though cruising is rapidly shedding the illusion of higher class travel and now that formal nights are a waning tradition carry-on only cruising is more possible now than even 15 years ago.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

Who does that?  LOL!  I don't think there's a cruise line out there like that, except perhaps the Cunard Grills. 

Agreed, Never seen that on any of my cruises, people are always wearing the same outfits again and again.

On 11/10/2018 at 9:47 AM, Bizmark'sMom said:

The prize for packing light is that I can manage my luggage on trains, sidewalks, and boutique hotels without breaking my back.  It isn't about avoiding luggage fees, it's about looking at the "lift closed" sign at the train station and being able to carry my luggage up or down the stairs.

If all you do is fly to the port and take a taxi to the cruise terminal, it doesn't matter as much.  If your trip involves independant travel on trains and buses, the amount of stuff you carry matters quite a bit.

Depends on your style of travel.  Like you say, we are independent but don't do extended trips that have us go  from ship, to train, to hotel... part of the reason for taking a ship is you only need to unpack once.  When we do land travel we go and stay in one location or two at most and do day trips, we usually use taxis or car services to get around.  So traveling light has never been a issue.   

Some of the travel we have done has involved visiting family... years ago, when we could take easily up to 70 lbs x2 suite cases each going  to Europe or the Middle,  and we did so... half of what we took were gifts.  I can recall shipping suite cases through and then carrying on two garment bags on our flights, which had our clothes, that was when 747s had a place to hang garment bags.  Times have changed.