cruising cockroach

How light can you pack?

I have a sister who I guess she would be considered a "light packer"  She did a 10 day cruise in a carry-on!  Me I came with two large suit cases and a carry-on computer bag.  On our last long cruise between dh and I we had 4 large suit cases and two hang up bags along with two carry-ons.  One of our reasons is we can't stand to put clothing back on once it has been worn.  And about 95% of our clothing is cotton.  Every day on our cruises we send out at least one bag of laundry.  If we have done a lot of different activities the day before it could be two.  Luckily for us we also live in Florida so there are lots of choices  for cruising.  And we are fortunate that we are a 4* so on our HAL cruises we get free laundry!   I hope everyone who can pack light will keep posting.  I enjoy reading about it even though light packing will never be me.

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

One of the cruisers I chatted with on my last cruise brought 17 pairs of shoes!

Yikes!! :classic_wacko:

4 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

My wife thinks that her friend would bring a suitcase just for shoes on a week's cruise.  The friend and husband do go on ballroom group cruises so they need their garb, but she also likes formal nights.  She'd hate cruising especially on the ships we'd like to travel on, and the way that we do.

5 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

To be fair to him, I should have added that it was a 3 week long cruise, and not a single pair was left unworn in that time.  And, yes, most of them were very cool shoes. 

For us it was not a question of how light can we pack. It is a question of how many bags, how much weight, we can each physically handle independently on our travels.  This is where we actually started.  Once we each arrived at the answer we then started with the size of luggage that we handle given how and where we traveled.

In our instance it was a 20 or 21 inch roller each.  That was the parameter that we worked with. If it fit in the bag, it went.  Forced us to make choices.  After the first foray we started buying clothes that complemented this.   IF we were going from home to airport to pre cruise hotel to cruise and back home I suspect that DW would move to the checked 26" that she previously used.

Alas, this is simply what we do any more and cruises tend to be spontaneous decisions whilst on longer trips.

On 11/15/2018 at 12:51 PM, calliopecruiser said:

To be fair to him, I should have added that it was a 3 week long cruise, and not a single pair was left unworn in that time.  And, yes, most of them were very cool shoes. 

I don't think I own 17 pairs of shoes, but if it made that person's cruise more enjoyable and didn't violate luggage restrictions - more power to him 🙂 

I think we are medium packers and striving for being lighter.  We also have only taken 7 day or less cruises so it's easier to pack light.  I have started doing some hand washing, but I'm picky about my clothes and don't want to use the high heat water or driers of the cruise ship.  We workout several times and those clothes definitely need at least rinsed out 😮