San Fransisco hotel availability October 2019

alibali21

Leaving San Fransisco on the Grand Princess next October and would like to stay for a few days before we join the ship as we have never been to San Fransisco before. Have been doing a bit of research on hotels, and today for the first time I put in the actual dates we would like to book ( 16th - 20th October 2019 ) only to find that all of the hotels I had considered  (  Hilton, Hyatt, Hotel Zoe and more ) were showing no availability. Can anyone tell me why hotels are this booked up almost a year ahead? Many thanks in advance.

There is no telling.  I tried to go there that same week this year for work.  All the hotels were 3X the cost of if I waited a week, which I did.  The Hilton Union Sq was $600 a night that week and $220 the next week.  You might have to stay in the East Bay or Marin County and BART or ferry into the city.  My choice would be stay in Larkspur and ride the commuter ferry into the city to sitesee.  There's a nice Marriott Courtyard in Larkspur that is walking distance to the commuter ferry and near a nice shopping village area.    

Every year, Oracle Corp. has a huge conference of all of its customers, with about 60,000 attending. Sells out almost every hotel in the SF area. It's usually held in Sept. or Oct., now sure what the dates are for 2019. There are a number of other high-tech conferences also held in SF. Its a big business for the city. The hotels hold aside large blocks of rooms for the conferences.

Thank you for your replies. I hadn’t realised that so many huge conventions were held in San Fransisco. 

I’ve managed to book the Orchard Hotel on Bush Street which seems to get good reviews - not to be confused with the Orchard Garden on the same street which is way more expensive.

As I can cancel the booking without penalty I’ll continue to check availability in the other hotels I was considering in case they are holding blocks of rooms which they later release.

That said the Orchard seems to be in a reasonable location and includes breakfast so unless I read anything really negative about it we’ll probably just stay there.

Thanks again.

As others have said, Sales Force, et al, are the reason for the lack of lodging.  We only live across the bay and thought it might be nice to stay one night before our cruise a couple years ago.  Nope.  $600 a night was the average rate for mid Oct.