Chef's Table

Richard2

In general, on a cruise, if someone wants seconds of any dish in a restaurant, it is perfectly appropriate to ask.  However, the style of the Chef's Table seems a little different - more of a dining "experience" as the chef envisions it should be. Does anyone have thoughts about asking for seconds there? I raise the question because I've never felt a need to get seconds in the MDR or Manfredi's, but the Chef's Table is the one place where each portion is smaller and sometimes a dish in the sequence is not at all to our liking. On a couple of occasions, after dinner in the Chef's Table, we've made a late trip to the World Cafe. I've never thought of asking for seconds on a dish that we enjoyed. 

A couple of times I returned the dish I didn’t like and was asked what I would like instead. I asked for appetizer I liked very much. One time I knew from the start that I wouldn’t like a part of the dessert, so i asked to omit that part and double the part I liked. You just ask. It never hurts ;)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I'm with you.  Not a big fan of Chef's Table. 

They could easily make the entire space Manfredi’s and keep many of those who can’t get that second and third reservation there very happy.

We found the Chef’s Table very regimented and stiff while Manfredi’s delightful, delicious and friendly. We were lucky to eat there many times and highly recommend it.

1 hour ago, orchestrapal said:

They could easily make the entire space Manfredi’s and keep many of those who can’t get that second and third reservation there very happy.

We found the Chef’s Table very regimented and stiff while Manfredi’s delightful, delicious and friendly. We were lucky to eat there many times and highly recommend it.

Agreed.  

3 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

We ate in Manfredi twice and  Chef Table 3 times.  Loved both, but Chef Table was our favorite. We had the same wait staff, she would hold the table for us.  Never found it regimented or stiff.

1 hour ago, Richard2 said:

Now that we know we have a number of experienced Chef's Table patrons here, how about the original question:

Any experience or thoughts about ordering seconds of one of the courses?

Of course you can.  I just never wanted to.  Got seconds in Manfredi's lots.:classic_biggrin:

8 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

We agree with you 100 per cent.

Really,  either Viking could expand Manfredi's and take over the space from Chef's Table or it could REPLACE Chef's Table with another specialty restaurant which is more appealing to the MAJORITY of the guests, not just a portion of them. We know there will be some who would disagree (there're always some who'd disagree whatever you say!) but it is probably the ONLY specialty restaurant in any cruise line that has so many people who dislike it (just see comments, past and present on the internet).  Some of its dishes were shocking, almost inedible for pleasure! Its dishes could almost be like Marmite, either you might like it, or you could hate it to the extreme!!! 

Isn't it time for Viking to take the BIG HINT and do something about it? Viking has a lot of good things going for it but in our opinion, (and probably many others), Chef's Table is NOT one of them!

Specialty restaurants is one area which rival Oceania Cruises does much better. On its two larger ships, the Rivera and the Marina, they have not just two specialty restaurants (as on all Viking ships), but four! And NONE of them are as controversial as Chef's Table.

Edited by Gnoelj

7 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I suggested a Pan Asian place or a Churrascio, however that might be spelled..

Either of that would be fantastic. Hope someone from Viking management reads this.

Edited by Gnoelj

Adding a contrary opinion.

We were on Orion for 8 weeks and we tried all of the different CT menus.  I think it was 11 or 12 total.  We thought the meals were amazing (with one exception), and we’re not foodies at all.

We've been to Italy about 10 times over the years and we didn’t think the food at Manfredi’s was anywhere near as good as modest restaurants we frequent in various areas we have travelled to, mostly in Tuscany.

But, the one CT menu I really didn’t like was the last one that came up in the rotation, Venice Carnival.  Had this meal been our first, we probably would not have returned.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

That would make us very unhappy.  We went to Manfredi's once and didn't particularly like it.  We went to Chefs Table 3 or 4 times and loved it.  We didn't feel the need to ask for seconds nor go to the World Cafe afterwards.  It just proves that food is highly subjective.  What one might like someone else may not.  Unfortunately those that are not happy are more willing to speak up than those that are happy therefore it is skewed as to who the majority really is.   Cruise Critic actually represents an extremely low percentage of Viking's actual cruisers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MarkTapley said:

Adding a contrary opinion.

We were on Orion for 8 weeks and we tried all of the different CT menus.  I think it was 11 or 12 total.  We thought the meals were amazing (with one exception), and we’re not foodies at all.

We've been to Italy about 10 times over the years and we didn’t think the food at Manfredi’s was anywhere near as good as modest restaurants we frequent in various areas we have travelled to, mostly in Tuscany.

But, the one CT menu I really didn’t like was the last one that came up in the rotation, Venice Carnival.  Had this meal been our first, we probably would not have returned.

Yes, we agree with you. We loved Chef’s Table. It was an experience not just a meal (I said this in one of my live reports). We also liked to chat with our “evening crew”. We enjoyed their stories and the whole experience was fun.

we are not people “who’d disagree whatever you say” but we cancelled second dinner at Manfredi’s twice (we gave them a chance on another cruise) and made more reservations at the Chef’s Table. We are foodies and we are adventures (food wise...haha). Yes, they had a couple of dishes I returned but other than that we enjoyed the people, food, and place a lot.

MarkTapley, I checked out the Venice Carnival and I would cancel my dinner on that menu. So I agreed again :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jiminyC_fan said:

That would make us very unhappy.  We went to Manfredi's once and didn't particularly like it.  We went to Chefs Table 3 or 4 times and loved it.  We didn't feel the need to ask for seconds nor go to the World Cafe afterwards.  It just proves that food is highly subjective.  What one might like someone else may not.  Unfortunately those that are not happy are more willing to speak up than those that are happy therefore it is skewed as to who the majority really is.   Cruise Critic actually represents an extremely low percentage of Viking's actual cruisers.

15 minutes ago, jiminyC_fan said:

:) 👍

For the record, my wife LOVES the Chef's Table.  Forums are much more likely to attract folks complaining about an issue, so it is not accurate to say that nearly everyone wants CT eliminated.  Viking will change CT if/when people stop reserving dinners there.  They were fully booked on our Med Odyssey cruise this October so I would not hold my breath waiting for CT to be substantively changed.

I greatly prefer Manfredi's but I need to stay married.  My least favorite is Mamsens.