Ocean medallion - name/photo appears outside cabin?

cpcanuck

Reading recent reviews of Caribbean Princess - they mention that when you approach cabin your name and photo appears on a screen and then the door unlocks. They go on to say that your name & photo remain on the screen to let others know who is in cabin (presumably for stewards). If I am understanding this correctly, if I am travelling on my own - the screen now announces that fact and that I am alone in the room. Is this true? If so, does anyone know If you can set it up that others don’t need to know my name or that I’m alone in the cabin? I’m quite okay with crew knowing this - but not sure I want everyone else walking by my room to know this.

Also, do you need a cell phone or iPad/notebook in order to use the medallion? I prefer to go offline when travelling on a cruise. It’s one of the few places where I can truly get away.

Thanks for any info!

• Like 2

We were on the Caribbean Princess last month.  Names were always displayed on the screens but our picture only seemed to appear when we were in door opening range. I would think that your name could be hidden.  You can use Ocean medallion without a device if you prefer. There are interactive screens all over the ship.  We liked it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cpcanuck said:

They go on to say that your name & photo remain on the screen to let others know who is in cabin (presumably for stewards)....

Also from what others have posted. Once on board and in your cabin, you have the ability to personalize what you want the screen to display. If you don't want your name there, change it.

1 minute ago, jlp20 said:

Also from what others have posted. Once on board and in your cabin, you have the ability to personalize what you want the screen to display. If you don't want your name there, change it.

That’s encouraging. It’s no different with my phone or name displayed on the directory in my condo at home.  I don’t care to advertise my full name. No one needs to know that I live on my own. The same thing would apply when I choose to travel solo. The general public does not need to know who is in a particular cabin. I sure hope I can easily modify what appears on public screen - even if it’s to only list a last name. (Which would be better than nothing).

Also glad to hear I won’t need to be strapped to electronic devices just to be on a cruise ship and for the medallion to work. I live on my devices all the time. Don’t want to be strapped to devices while on holidays.  Thanks for this info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Haboob said:

...and this differs from the prior little slips of Capt-Circle-color coded paper with your full name on your mailbox?

Old slip might have Steve and Ann Smith. The new screen may display the same. You can enter the system through the cabin's TV and edit this to what you want; Steve & Ann, The Smiths etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We will find out later today when we board the CB.  As a married couple it does not really matter to us but I can see where a single female in the cabin could be concerned with advertising that she is in there alone.  I remember back in the "old" days of telephone directories single women would have their first two initials instead of their name.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, casofilia said:

...and this differs from the prior little slips of Capt-Circle-color coded paper with your full name on your mailbox?

That could be destroyed easily.  

..instead of blanked or rewritten by you even before you get to your cabin?  Dunno where the privacy issue is.

As for your photo being there for passerby face-match as you enter?  Methinks that theft determent is a plus.

Does the screen display your name all the time or only when you approach your cabin?  I was thinking that as you near your cabin the screen illuminates with your name.  If so, the ocean medallion device is probably what sets it off

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Does the screen display your name all the time or only when you approach your cabin?  I was thinking that as you near your cabin the screen illuminates with your name.  If so, the ocean medallion device is probably what sets it off

This is what I’m curious about. The tiny slip of paper with my name with previous system didn’t tell the world when I was in or out of the cabin. I believe you could modify the slip to a last name and first initial.  I get that an image and name comes up when you approach the door, but does your name remain on the screen only while you are in the room or is it always on the screen?

32 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Will  we still the the  printed copy of  Princess Patters like we always have in our cabin each night?  

For the indefinite future.

But the day will come when if you want a printed copy, you'll take it from a stack at the Purser's.

• Thanks 1

I discovered in the past that the Princess At Sea app did NOT list all of the day's events/activities, and that I could not rely on it.  Some shows were not listed, and a lot of activities were left off.  So if they decide to stop distributing the paper Patter, I certainly hope that the glitches in the At Sea app get fixed first!

We were on the CB 9/28 sailing. At that time, passenger names were displayed on the screens outside the cabin doors and also appeared on the interactive large screens at various locations around the ship when the passenger was within a certain range. My feedback in the survey post-cruise included expressing my dislike of this practice. The displayed names were in larger font than was previously on the "mailbox" outside the cabin door. I do not care for other passengers to know my name unless I choose to introduce myself, and although I was traveling with my husband, I definitely would not want it to be easily determined if I were traveling alone. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I discovered in the past that the Princess At Sea app did NOT list all of the day's events/activities, and that I could not rely on it.  Some shows were not listed, and a lot of activities were left off.  So if they decide to stop distributing the paper Patter, I certainly hope that the glitches in the At Sea app get fixed first!

We use it exclusively over the last year. Never have seen anything left out. It has always worked very well.

I could care less whether my name is displayed or not. It's been on my mailbox for many years.

I am still not in the witness protection program so no changes on the horizon.

• Like 1

We are sailing on the 11/25 CB cruise.  When we set up OceanReady in order to have our OM mailed to us prior to cruising we had to insert 2 pictures.  One for security - which must be a real picture of you and you can take a selfie while setting it up.  The other can be an avatar.  This is the one that will display at your cabin or on those new blue screens in the elevator hallways when you enter.  When they pop up on the hallway screens they're really little, so I'm not really worried about it.

I wasn't aware that the pictures possibly remained on the screen to show you were in the cabin.  I'll have to check that out after we board.  Eventually the stewards will carry a device that tells them if we're in the cabin or not (or at least where our medallions are) so I'm thinking it's not displayed on the cabin screen continuously.

Certainly a good question and concern and I will check it out in 2 weeks, whereas I hadn't actually thought about it before 🙂 .

Diann

I am currently on the CB and checked out different scenarios with our medallions.  Our names (not pictures) are displayed on our cabin screen 24/7.  I have not been able to locate any place on the TV to change the door display.  Perhaps one of the techies around the ship can do that.   First, my medallion is considerably stronger than DH’s.  When approaching the door, even with DH in front of me, my medallion opens the door (from several cabins down).  My photo displays momentarily and when he enters, his photo will also display momentarily.  When our medallions are in the cabin, the screen displays (both our names) “door locked” and a downward flashing arrow--this was confirmed by our steward when we asked him.   When no medallions are in the cabin, the screen displays (both our names) and “approach with medallion for entry.”   

Edited by Sea&SkiCruiser

2 hours ago, seagypsea said:

We are sailing on the 11/25 CB cruise.  When we set up OceanReady in order to have our OM mailed to us prior to cruising we had to insert 2 pictures.  One for security - which must be a real picture of you and you can take a selfie while setting it up.  The other can be an avatar.  This is the one that will display at your cabin or on those new blue screens in the elevator hallways when you enter.  When they pop up on the hallway screens they're really little, so I'm not really worried about it.

I wasn't aware that the pictures possibly remained on the screen to show you were in the cabin.  I'll have to check that out after we board.  Eventually the stewards will carry a device that tells them if we're in the cabin or not (or at least where our medallions are) so I'm thinking it's not displayed on the cabin screen continuously.

Certainly a good question and concern and I will check it out in 2 weeks, whereas I hadn't actually thought about it before 🙂 .

Diann

I will be interested to hear what you discover! Thanks for understanding what my concerns are particularly as a solo traveller. 

3 hours ago, seagypsea said:

We are sailing on the 11/25 CB cruise.  When we set up OceanReady in order to have our OM mailed to us prior to cruising.

Hi Diann, have you received your OM devices? We are on the same sailing.

When I set up our account then spoke to an OceanReady customer service person to ask a couple of questions, he advised that they decided to hold the OM devices and distribute them at boarding rather than mailing them.

Curious as when I completed the registration on line, the system gave me a delivery date of later this week.  

Edited by Ep010835

5 hours ago, Sea&SkiCruiser said:

When our medallions are in the cabin, the screen displays (both our names) “door locked” and a downward flashing arrow--this was confirmed by our steward when we asked him.   When no medallions are in the cabin, the screen displays (both our names) and “approach with medallion for entry.”   

And when only one medallion is in the cabin?

9 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Hi Diann, have you received your OM devices? We are on the same sailing.

When I set up our account then spoke to an OceanReady customer service person to ask a couple of questions, he advised that they decided to hold the OM devices and distribute them at boarding rather than mailing them.

Curious as when I completed the registration on line, the system gave me a delivery date of later this week.  

We have not received them.  I'll post if we do get them or some communication as to how they will be distributed.

Edited by seagypsea