Tender Unloading Accident on Maasdam

mrmac

A woman was killed Thursday on Maasdam, rumored to be from an accident stepping from the tender to the ship’s dock. Maasdam was in Rarotonga, Cook Islands at the time. Surprised to see no reports on CC yet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrmac said:

A woman was killed Thursday on Maasdam, rumored to be from an accident stepping from the tender to the ship’s dock. Maasdam was in Rarotonga, Cook Islands at the time. Surprised to see no reports on CC yet.

Oh goodness, that’s horrible.  Very sad for all.   Hadn’t  heard or read anything until you posted.  

1 hour ago, mrmac said:

Source?

2 hours ago, mrmac said:

Where did you hear what you are calling only a "rumor"? Any links ... not able to find anything in any other source either .....yet.

There is a passenger report from some time ago the Maasdam had to miss Cook Islands completely due to high winds.  Do you know what weather conditions they were facing.

Edited by OlsSalt

I am very sorry to hear this. When I was on the Maasdam last year, we had to skip Raratonga because of the weather conditions made it impossible to dock safely. I was on the first tender to Niue, and that tender took over 20 minutes to dock. There were some near accidents getting off the tender, and it was extremely difficult for them to dock the tender. I do not know if it became easier for them to dock the later tenders. 

The key word in the OP's post is "rumored."

No facts, no documentation, and source was an unknown "witness" on the same tender.

Of course there is nothing on Cruise Critic or elsewhere. Why is gossip breaking news that immediately needs to be posted? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

The key word in the OP's post is "rumored."

No facts, no documentation, and source was an unknown "witness" on the same tender.

Of course there is nothing on Cruise Critic or elsewhere. Why is gossip breaking news that immediately needs to be posted? 

Well what else is the the internet for?

If true, this is tragic.  If an unfounded rumor that later proves to be false, that's terrible too because someone has posted an untruth which could potentially damage HA's reputation for safety.  Most posters here enjoy HA and participate in this forum to learn something new or to share information about the product HA sells.  Everyone tries to be honest, at least I want to believe that.  To hear something like this upsets the community, and, of course, our sympathies are expressed.  If true, my heart goes out to the passenger's family and friends for their loss.  As others have said, the last thing one anticipates on a vacation is a horrible accident like this which has led to a death.  How sad for the crew members as well.  

I pray this turns out to be a rumor with no truth to it.  I've dug into several search engines and can find nothing.

I’m sorry to say this story has been on the site specializing in cruise law news.  I won’t post the link to avoid a deletion.  

The victim is an older woman, traveling alone.  The story questions the advisability of tendering that day and mentions a possible silencing of the story.

i am so sorry for all involved. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sammiedawg said:

I’m sorry to say this story has been on the site specializing in cruise law news.  I won’t post the link to avoid a deletion.  

The victim is an older woman, traveling alone.  The story questions the advisability of tendering that day and mentions a possible silencing of the story.

i am so sorry for all involved. 

True, but the source is still  - quote -  The source of the information is a passenger, wishing to remain anonymous, who stated that: . . . the seas were very rough and it was debatable whether we should have been tendering at all  She was traveling by herself. It would appear that this incident is being covered up. The safety on this ship is rather haphazard.”  The accident happened on 7th November.

Very sad.

Do you know if she died while tendering ; or in fact she was she killed in some sort of tender operation gone very badly awry. It appears from an internet search this is a very problematic cruise port. HAL may need to reconsider offering this port on this very lovely island in the future. 

Here is what CC has to say about Rarotonga:

Good to Know

If you are prone to seasickness, you may want to pack your choice of meds as the ride to and from Rarotonga can be choppy (calls sometimes get canceled due to sea conditions -- occasionally at the last minute, which means you'll have to do the trip there and back anyway). Barring a freak storm, it should be the only real "roughness" you'll experience while cruising in this region.

Rarotonga is a tender port, and since ships often miss calls here due to rough water conditions, climbing in and out of tender boats can be tricky; be cautious and follow the instructions of your ship's staff. Another note: Some public restrooms do not stock toilet tissue, so you'll want to carry something in your purse or pocket.

Edited by OlsSalt