Any chance of getting a mobile app back?

Is there any chance that we will get an app back for the mobile feature?  This new setup isn't easy to use on a mobile phone (where I used to view the forums about 90% of the time).  My use has gone down drastically, as well as others.  I'm curious if there is any chance Cruise Critics will switch back to a user friendly app, since the current format isn't easy for many to use on mobile devices.  

• Like 5

I couldn't agree more!  I was so happy when I changed from my Windows phone and could access the CC app.

I have been on ships since August so have had limited Internet during the website change.  It has been difficult to figure out the new site given the access limitations. And I have found that the "mobile friendly" site takes much longer to load pages than the app did.

Bottom line: my usage of the CC site has also dropped dramatically and remains minimal.  Hopefully when I get back to shore in December I will be able to figure out the work around.

But really I should not have to devise work arounds.  The app needs to be restored.

• Like 2

I'm another one who really  misses the mobile app.  I had at various times used both the CC app and tapatalk, and they were far superior to the current mobile web site.  My use of CC has also fallen WAY off.  

On another note:  I can't' find a way to search within a forum anymore.  Is that feature also gone, or am I missing something.   thanks!

I have not been on the forum for a while because of moving and renovating, but now I am completely confused how this works and where to find things, I really don't like this new setup at all. why are they doing it if it does not work. I miss my mobile app. Who is doing the Roll call and the spreadsheet?

Please help.

Thanks Rose

2 hours ago, Skyrose said:

I can't' find a way to search within a forum anymore.  Is that feature also gone, or am I missing something

Depends on what device you're using.  On laptop/desktop, when you click on the "Search" in the search window (upper right) you get a pull down with options.  "This forum" is one of them.

image.thumb.png.8aebc329e750aa6c8cc118331d91e316.png

Yes, I can use the website/forum if I am at my desktop, but I prefer my Cruise Critic time on my phone.  The phone version is too small, too hard to skip the page you left off at.  When I get an email reminder of a response, the clicking on the link in the email brings me to some random spot on the thread.  All of it.  It's just not easy.  Glad to hear they are reconsidering.  I know people in the forum I read a lot from aren't posting either and some of them are pretty frequent posters.  Hopefully they will come back with something better than the current situation.  

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

It's really not workarounds, its learning a new method.  Personally not holding my breath for a functional app.  

The old apps were developed by third parties and supposedly a new one is in the works, being developed by a third party. I don't see why you are so pessimistic. It is not like CC is developing the app on their own.

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The old apps were developed by third parties and supposedly a new one is in the works, being developed by a third party. I don't see why you are so pessimistic. It is not like CC is developing the app on their own.

I had not heard that a 3rd party was doing it, just that something was in the works.  Not pessimistic, just thinking it's going to take a while to be up and running.  

The pessimism exists amongst those demanding they go back to TapaTalk immediately,  when CC says it can't happen.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Depends on what device you're using.  On laptop/desktop, when you click on the "Search" in the search window (upper right) you get a pull down with options.  "This forum" is one of them.

The mobile search and most tablet resolutions lack the "This Forum" search option.  According to the IPS documentation, this should be configurable by CC. Not sure where you could request the change, though.

14 hours ago, MaiseyM said:

When I get an email reminder of a response, the clicking on the link in the email brings me to some random spot on the thread.  

Actually, you're dropped into the right spot - except that it's offset by somewhere between 85 and 105 pixels. Basically, you're coming in "low" and need to scroll up a smidgen. It's something that should be fixed, but I don't know if they're working on it or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I had not heard that a 3rd party was doing it, just that something was in the works.  Not pessimistic, just thinking it's going to take a while to be up and running.  

The pessimism exists amongst those demanding they go back to TapaTalk immediately,  when CC says it can't happen.

It can happen if CC changes it's mind and installs the plug-in for Tapatalk that works with this software. I am on another site that uses the same forum software and they got Tapatalk to work a day after switching to the software. If people keep asking for Tapatalk maybe CC will install it. 

Today I can't even use my smartphone browserfor CC as it won't log on. Rejects my password. But I can log on from the computer.......

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

It can happen if CC changes it's mind and installs the plug-in for Tapatalk that works with this software. I am on another site that uses the same forum software and they got Tapatalk to work a day after switching to the software. If people keep asking for Tapatalk maybe CC will install it. 

Today I can't even use my smartphone browserfor CC as it won't log on. Rejects my password. But I can log on from the computer.......

Good to know, thanks for sharing

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2018 at 9:09 AM, John&LaLa said:

It's really not workarounds, its learning a new method.  Personally not holding my breath for a functional app.  

There is a fuctional app, called Tapatalk. The admins just have to add the correct plug-ins. The Tapatalk admins have told CC how to do this, they apparently are refusing to.

Edited by Mistizoom
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Mistizoom said:

There is a fuctional app, called Tapatalk. The admins just have to add the correct plug-ins. The Tapatalk admins have told CC how to do this, they apparently are refusing to.

FWIW, they have repeatedly said there is a security issue with log-in.  Or something like that.  I only have what they share with us.  

Where does your info come from?

On 11/12/2018 at 7:09 AM, John&LaLa said:

For me it's a workaround I'm having to revert to.  My custom stream picks up all (most?) threads except the one that I consider the most important.  It was included before, until that one day a few weeks ago when the site was down, but now it's not being picked up.  It's not even in the CC default stream Threads I Posted In. 

So I have that one thread bookmarked on the home screen on my cell phone, but it only brings me to the top of the page, rather than the first unread post.  And when it adds another page, I have to re-bookmark the thread in order to go to the last page.  I feel like I'm going to wear a hole in the screen with all the scrolling I have to do.

9 hours ago, julie3fan said:

For me it's a workaround I'm having to revert to.  My custom stream picks up all (most?) threads except the one that I consider the most important.  It was included before, until that one day a few weeks ago when the site was down, but now it's not being picked up.  It's not even in the CC default stream Threads I Posted In. 

So I have that one thread bookmarked on the home screen on my cell phone, but it only brings me to the top of the page, rather than the first unread post.  And when it adds another page, I have to re-bookmark the thread in order to go to the last page.  I feel like I'm going to wear a hole in the screen with all the scrolling I have to do.

Are you following that stream? 

7 hours ago, broberts said:

Are you following that stream? 

Yes.  I made sure my name was there.  Plus I post in it several times a day, and it doesn't even show in the generic Threads I Post In stream.  AND everybody else on that thread has problems with it.  It's in the Floataway Lounge, called Last One To Post Wins.  Not sure why it quit being included after that one day shut down. 😒

17 hours ago, julie3fan said:

So I have that one thread bookmarked on the home screen on my cell phone, but it only brings me to the top of the page, rather than the first unread post.

Bookmark this instead: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2477157-last-one-to-post-wins/?do=getNewComment

10 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

it doesn't even show in the generic Threads I Post In stream.

Have you tried this? Go to the Content I Posted In stream. Change the first setting to Content items, comments and reviews. Then save that as a new stream - give it a unique name you'll remember.

See if that works any better?

4 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Bookmark this instead: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2477157-last-one-to-post-wins/?do=getNewComment

Have you tried this? Go to the Content I Posted In stream. Change the first setting to Content items, comments and reviews. Then save that as a new stream - give it a unique name you'll remember.

See if that works any better?

I've added the bookmark, and have made the changes to the stream.  Now I'll wait awhile to see how it works out.  I appreciate all your help!  I might not report back until tomorrow - I'm at the airport waiting for my flight to Florida for our cruise on Saturday, but I'll let you know how it works out.

The bookmark brings me to the top of the page, and time will tell if it brings me to the next page once we've posted enough to add another page.  Then I'll know. 

I also don't care how each and every post will show as a seperate entry in the new stream you helped me create, rather than that the thread itself has new entries.  It's obvious we all got spoiled on a good thing (the old app) and it's hard to tell if what we're experiencing are glitches that might (or might not) get fixed, or if that's just the way it is.

And what's about the saddest, from what I've seen, is the marked decline in posting, and new thread subjects.

13 hours ago, julie3fan said:

The bookmark brings me to the top of the page, and time will tell if it brings me to the next page once we've posted enough to add another page.  Then I'll know. 

Let us know how that bookmark behaves over the next day or so. I have just tried it myself for the first time, and it immediately went to the first unread post for me, which was #3587 on 16 October, and positioned that post at the top of the page as those links should (although there is the continuing problem that the top fraction of the post is hidden under the heading banner).

If it only ever takes to you the top of a page, and does not attempt to position the page so that the first unread post is at the top of what you see, then there is something else going wrong that may be specific to your browser.

13 hours ago, julie3fan said:

I also don't care how each and every post will show as a seperate entry in the new stream you helped me create, rather than that the thread itself has new entries. 

No, I don't like that either, and I don't use it for my normal Activity Streams for this reason. But I suggested it because it would test whether that Floataway Lounge thread now does appear in the Activity Stream that you have customised. Does it?

I used to check CC daily on the old app Often multiple times a day.  Now i am hardly ever on. Not sure whyCC killed the app - maybe they were paying for its use and it no longer was cost effective.  But as a long rine CC nember, they lost me. 

• Like 1