Any chance of getting a mobile app back?

1 minute ago, retiring soon said:

Charles4515 ~ thanks but I can read the forums on the CC app, just can't sign in to comment. I only have Tapatalk on my Iphone not on my Android, so can't get on it.

I have the same issue. I can read but not sign in 😞 iPhone is only working (with the wonky work around) via a private beta (which Charles 4515 is using). Can't wait for it to be available to use! 

Hi again!

Charles4515 ~ thanks but I can read the forums on the CC app, just can't sign in to comment. I only have Tapatalk on my Iphone not on my Android, so can't get on it.

You will have to wait until the next version of Tapatalk for iOS is released to be able to login on your iPhone. The new version of Tapatalk for iOS that is in beta will let you login on an iPhone. I am posting on an iPhone with the beta. I don’t know the timeline for the release of the next version but hopefully shortly. After that new versions of the CC branded app will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the iOS (iPhone) version of Tapatalk that is being beta tested it is not the normal Tapatalk login either but it works different than what you describe. When you select log in you are taken to the web login page. Then after logging in you are switched back to Tapatalk. It is weird.

That's what happens with the Android version when you click "no" when it asks to log you in. The login session also expires, so I've been trying to get into the habit of logging out before closing the app. Hopefully this is corrected soon as well.

That's what happens with the Android version when you click "no" when it asks to log you in. The login session also expires, so I've been trying to get into the habit of logging out before closing the app. Hopefully this is corrected soon as well.

I go to home and login from there. I don’t have to click “no”. Have do it often as the login session expires often with the iOS version too. What they need to do is make it “stick”.

• Like 1

I have been using the latest build of the Tapatalk iOS beta on my iPhone onboard Harmony of the Seas with Voom. At home I have a 100 mbps connection while Voom is giving me 4 mbps. It is okay. I do have to log on every session, but all is only slightly slower than at home.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 7:33 PM, retiring soon said:

Hi again!

So I just reinstalled the old app and indeed it does work for reading. However, you cannot read roll call threads as those require you to be signed on. I checked and it doesn't show any threads.

Edited by MisterBill99

13 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

I am using the app on my iPad and iPhone and when I try to log in it says my password is wrong. I tried deleting the app and reinstalling it but that hasn't helped at all. I can only access CC on my Macbook and as I'm about to go away I need to get the app working

You're not going to be able to login using the old app. The best you can do is read forums that do not require you to be logged in (the non-roll call ones). Or use Tapatalk.

37 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Or use Tapatalk.

Tapatalk doesn’t work yet on iOS unless you’re enrolled in their beta test program (which you’re not...you’d know if you were). It should work in the next public update to Tapatalk. The old CC app may even start working again someday, but not even a beta on that yet.

28 minutes ago, faerievert said:

Tapatalk doesn’t work yet on iOS unless you’re enrolled in their beta test program (which you’re not...you’d know if you were). It should work in the next public update to Tapatalk. The old CC app may even start working again someday, but not even a beta on that yet.

Actually I was able to sign up for it but I'm Android so not the same thing. Bottom line is the best option for iOS right now is the old app and make do without being able to read protected forums, or use the mobile website.

It's sad how many members have probably been lost by this short-sighted and poorly rolled out "upgrade".

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, faerievert said:

Thank you both. I've just gone through the rigmarole of installing tapatalk and I discovered it doesn't work either - grrrrr! So basically I can't use Cruisecritic when I'm on my cruise in 10 days time. I'm away for 6 weeks!!! That is rubbish. Why has this issue not been resolved? 

Edited by tartanexile81

4 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

Thank you both. I've just gone through the rigmarole of installing tapatalk and I discovered it doesn't work either - grrrrr! So basically I can't use Cruisecritic when I'm on my cruise in 10 days time. I'm away for 6 weeks!!! That is rubbish. Why has this issue not been resolved? 

Because someone decided that the mobile version of the website would be better than a mobile app and eliminate the need for an app. Apparently they were wrong.

That said, you CAN use the website, even if it's not what you'd prefer to use. And you can read most threads using the old app. You just can't post.

Or you could try joining the Tapatalk beta program: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapatalksupport/ios-android-how-to-join-a-beta-program-t28219.html

Edited by MisterBill99

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

That said, you CAN use the website, even if it's not what you'd prefer to use. And you can read most threads using the old app. You just can't post.

That's what I've been doing. I read on the app and use the web to post or wait until I'm home to use the computer to reply... the mobile web version is quite annoying and a waste of data. Will have to look into that beta request!

I couldn't even get into the site from my app to read things far less to contribute.  I deleted it and download again and can at least read. the problem is I will be away from my computer for 6 weeks on my cruise so can't wait till I get home to post!

If you have a smartphone you can read and post to Cruise Critic with your web browser. I am using the beta of Tapatalk right now on Harmony of the Seas and it works good but I also logged in to CC from my web browser and that worked too for reading and posting. I think some will prefer Tapatalk and others will prefer the mobile web version. I read and posted from both to see if one was faster than the other. Both were about the same speed on this ship which has some of the fastest available internet. 4 mbps. Don’t know how it will work on slower networks.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

If you have a smartphone you can read and post to Cruise Critic with your web browser. I am using the beta of Tapatalk right now on Harmony of the Seas and it works good but I also logged in to CC from my web browser and that worked too for reading and posting. I think some will prefer Tapatalk and others will prefer the mobile web version. I read and posted from both to see if one was faster than the other. Both were about the same speed on this ship which has some of the fastest available internet. 4 mbps. Don’t know how it will work on slower networks.

Sure you can do this but every time I want to check on the roll call I have to sign in, even if I was signed in an hour earlier. I used to spend a lot of time researching CC but now I just check two roll calls and a general ship line forum and I’m out. It seems still, that every time I change pages I can see the Log in Log out thing changing and it makes it really slow. If I wasn’t on an imminent cruise I wouldn’t bother checking in at all. I have cleared my cookies, I have checked all my browser settings and it is nothing I have done. And no other forum site is doing what CC is doing to me. Another flyer forum I am on recently migrated to another server and their web interface is so good that I don’t need the app and they have decided they don’t need to develop one. And this is an Australian company that has far less financial resources than CC who has significant resources to tap into. 

Sure you can do this but every time I want to check on the roll call I have to sign in, even if I was signed in an hour earlier. I used to spend a lot of time researching CC but now I just check two roll calls and a general ship line forum and I’m out. It seems still, that every time I change pages I can see the Log in Log out thing changing and it makes it really slow. If I wasn’t on an imminent cruise I wouldn’t bother checking in at all. I have cleared my cookies, I have checked all my browser settings and it is nothing I have done. And no other forum site is doing what CC is doing to me. Another flyer forum I am on recently migrated to another server and their web interface is so good that I don’t need the app and they have decided they don’t need to develop one. And this is an Australian company that has far less financial resources than CC who has significant resources to tap into. 

With the app I get logged out after a short time of not using it. Practically I am logging in again whenever I open the app. On the web version on my phone it stays logged in. On my computer I get the dipsy-do log in you describe. Maybe I missed it but I have not seen anything from CC that says try plan to fix that. I am on 7 or 8 forums including one using the same software they just log in and stay logged in.

Version 8.1.0 of Tapatalk for iOS has been released in the Apple App Store. You should be able to log in to Cruise Critic. I installed it on my iPad and was successful. Posting now with the new version. ( I have been running the beta on my iPhone but not on my iPad)

If log in does not work when you open the update I suggest going to the “Me” section, settings and clear the cache. You should be able to log in from “Home”. If you don’t see Logon in Home pull down.

I suspect people are not going to love the log in process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Version 8.1.0 of Tapatalk for iOS has been released in the Apple App Store. You should be able to log in to Cruise Critic. I installed it on my iPad and was successful. Posting now with the new version. ( I have been running the beta on my iPhone but not on my iPad)
If log in does not work when you open the update I suggest going to the “Me” section, settings and clear the cache. You should be able to log in from “Home”. If you don’t see Logon in Home pull down.

I suspect people are not going to love the log in process.

Working for me. Trying to restore my pro version.

It's very clunky. And you get logged out often. 

If it were a one time clunky and CC remained logged in then could forget about it. Unfortunately CC does not remain logged in. I use Tapatalk for several other forums and the other forums have remained logged in for years. But also they don’t have the clunky log in that goes to the CC web page to log in and then back to the app.