Any chance of getting a mobile app back?

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

All they have to do is install the Tapatalk plug in and have instant mobile app. It is compatible, ...

This is simply not true and you know that it is not true. CC has posted that the plugin is not compatible with its site.

1 hour ago, broberts said:

This is simply not true and you know that it is not true. CC has posted that the plugin is not compatible with its site.

You're absolutely wrong. The old Tapatalk plugin isn't compatible with this version of Invision Community. The old app was written using Tapatalk white label.

There is a plugin version that is. It also happens that the Tapatalk plugin is currently the only game available for people who want to write an app for this version of IP Board / Invision Community. (You can join the support group on Invision Community and find this out in about 10 minutes.) 

Find me a place where someone from CC says that there is no version of Tapatalk compatible with the new CC. They say that the old plugin isn't - and it's not. 

They've made a business decision to not install the Tapatalk plugin for this software. It's not a technical incompatibility. 

The plugin is here:

https://www.tapatalk.com/download_IPBoard.php

If and when there's a new CC app, I bet you a dollar that it'll be written using the compatible version of Tapatalk white label. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, POA1 said:

You're absolutely wrong. The old Tapatalk plugin isn't compatible with this version of Invision Community. The old app was written using Tapatalk white label.

There is a plugin version that is. It also happens that the Tapatalk plugin is currently the only game available for people who want to write an app for this version of IP Board / Invision Community. (You can join the support group on Invision Community and find this out in about 10 minutes.) 

Find me a place where someone from CC says that there is no version of Tapatalk compatible with the new CC. They say that the old plugin isn't - and it's not. 

They've made a business decision to not install the Tapatalk plugin for this software. It's not a technical incompatibility. 

The plugin is here:

https://www.tapatalk.com/download_IPBoard.php

If and when there's a new CC app, I bet you a dollar that it'll be written using the compatible version of Tapatalk white label. 

Well you can chose to believe Tapatalk or choose to believe CC. Personally I chose to believe the website, not a developer that likely has no knowledge of how the website has been customized.

CC has unequivocally stated that the new plugin is not compatible. Due to issues related to login, if I recall correctly. I'm not going to bother yet again, tracking down and quoting the relevant posts.

I believe CC. But they did not say that the new plugin was incompatible that I read. The only way to prove your case is to track down the post that supports it - if it exists. If you quoted it before, it'll take you a few minutes to find. 

If you can't find it, I'll look after we get done watching the ships sail out of Port Everglades. 

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

I believe CC. But they did not say that the new plugin was incompatible that I read. The only way to prove your case is to track down the post that supports it - if it exists. If you quoted it before, it'll take you a few minutes to find. 

If you can't find it, I'll look after we get done watching the ships sail out of Port Everglades. 

Pt Canaveral this afternoon. Grandeur not leaving for a while

IMG_3924.JPG

20181125_165141.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Well you can chose to believe Tapatalk or choose to believe CC. Personally I chose to believe the website, not a developer that likely has no knowledge of how the website has been customized.

CC has unequivocally stated that the new plugin is not compatible. Due to issues related to login, if I recall correctly. I'm not going to bother yet again, tracking down and quoting the relevant posts.

I seem to recall a note from Laura about login process

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

You know, with the systematic changes to the new version, there are no guarantees that if the plug in worked it would function the same as Tapatalk did previously. 😉

I use Tapatalk on Amtrak Unlimited which switched to the Invision forum software about a week after Cruise Critic. It functions the same as it did before the change. 

13 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I use Tapatalk on Amtrak Unlimited which switched to the Invision forum software about a week after Cruise Critic. It functions the same as it did before the change. 

I'm not referring to that, no doubt that it does.  I'm referring to the change on the web site.  So if the features of the web change, the app to interact will be different a well.  So Tapatalk for CC will not be the same as it was before. does that make sense

3 hours ago, broberts said:

This on is kind of gray

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't see how that is germaine. The fact that another site works with the plugin, a site not using the CC customizations, sheds no light on the issue. You could list a 1,000 such sites. It would make no difference and would not change the fact that CC has said it has technical issues with the plugin.

https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/

7 hours ago, broberts said:

I went through all your old posts and I can't find one where your referenced a specific post with the information regarding the technical issues with the plugin and login. I found the same thing that @John&LaLa  posted from November 1st, but that just says that they're looking into it.

Are you sure you really tracked this info down?  If so, please post a link, because I really can't seem to find it.

32 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I went through all your old posts and I can't find one where your referenced a specific post with the information regarding the technical issues with the plugin and login. I found the same thing that @John&LaLa  posted from November 1st, but that just says that they're looking into it.

Are you sure you really tracked this info down?  If so, please post a link, because I really can't seem to find it.

The post @John&LaLa quoted is not enough? 

On 11/23/2018 at 2:17 AM, POA1 said:

That still does not change the fact that I'd be happier with a mobile optimized version of the site. There are people like my wife, who used the site 4 or 5 days a week via the app. She stopped using CC completely - and she has the site bookmarked on her phone and tablet - and I set up her custom activity streams. I can only imagine what it's like for people without in-house technical support. 

My wife has also stopped using it since the app went away. She gets her cruise news from a few FB groups she is a member of.

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

CC (like most IBBs) has always depended on volunteers providing time and expertise. The more formal help is given by identified Hosts who AIUI are all volunteers. And then most areas/forums have active members who are happy to help as volunteers.

I'm trying to help members to learn how to work this new software. I recognise that it's here and it's here to stay, whether we like it or not. Personally, I would prefer that CC rolled back to two software updates ago, but it's just not going to happen. So many members would like help, and I'm prepared to spend a bit of time providing it when I can.

Would you prefer it if I and the other active members on this forum just disappeared and stopped trying to provide any help at all? Is that what you mean?

I immensely appreciate the help 

3 hours ago, POA1 said:

The quoted post says that they're looking at compatibility. You're saying that they said that the Tapatalk plugin for IP Board 4.3 does not work.

So, no.

That post does not support what you are asserting. You'd need to quote something from CC that said, "It does not work because...." 

Right now, every custom app version - that I can find - for sites running this software is written on Tapatalk white label, utilizing the plugin. As I mentioned before, you can head over to Invision Community support and read all about it. People there would like to have other choices and there's someone trying to raise funding for an alternative, but as far as app development goes, Tapatalk looks to be the only option. 

All I'm asking is for you to post a link to the the "It doesn't work because..." post from CC. You claim to have posted it, so it can't be that hard. 

I don't fall into the neat little box of people who just complain. I've been actively trying to to help since the changeover. (I'll gladly provide examples if you have doubts.) I'm going to continue to maintain my position on the app version of CC. I do have selfish reasons. The first is that my wife, who is by no means technically inept, dislikes the mobile/tablet version of CC enough to have given it up completely. (We leave on a cruise in 3 weeks, so she'd normally be on the site reading daily.) 

The second reason is bandwidth. I've been doing "Live From" threads for years. The cruise line we're sailing has "unlimited" internet - but it has a daily bandwidth cap. CC loads the first page of the board's web version TWICE to deal with the login issue. I metered it over the weekend and it looks like it will cause me to bump into the bandwidth cap pretty quickly - even if I pay for the cruise line's high end plan. 

So... Please be a pal and show me the quote from the powers that be which says the plugin doesn't work becae.... 

I appreciate all the help both to users and to CC.

Bummer about bandwidth.  I had some latency on RCI Enchantment, but chalked it up to the ships capacity.  This is typical Stream speed for VOOM O3B

20181126_075134.jpg

Apparently I used 6MB just on the test 😱

BTW, my wife doesn't  use this site at all, never did/would

Edited by John&LaLa

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I appreciate all the help both to users and to CC.

Bummer about bandwidth.  I had some latency on RCI Enchantment, but chalked it up to the ships capacity.  This is typical Stream speed for VOOM O3B

20181126_075134.jpg

Apparently I used 6MB just on the test 😱

BTW, my wife doesn't  use this site at all, never did/would

Thanks for that. This will be my first cruise on Holland America since they've gone from per-minute pricing to "unlimited" - albeit capped plans. The published limits are 300 MB for the middle level surf plan, which covers web and email. That plan is about $130 for our 10 day cruise. The high end plan, which supports VPN and video conferencing is $180. I only need the middle one for business, but I don't want to blow through my data at the level needed by the new CC mobile version. Fortunately I'll have T-Mobile international data in port. I guess I'll find out about the caps and their enforcement when I am sailing, but I was shocked to see that CC burns more data than Facebook!

12 hours ago, POA1 said:

"We have custom issues we have to work around regarding the tapatalk plugin." How is this not a clear indication that there are technical issues. Does not "custom issues" clearly suggest that software customizations are at the root of the problem? 

Apparently some of the posts on the issue that I recall were in the removed Bugs & Glitches forum. No idea why the forum was removed instead of locked.

22 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What are Reputation Points?

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Call on me! 

It's the total number of likes, laughs, and thanks a post has. Near as I can tell, it only shows up when you post a link in another thread. 

There's also a star rating at the top of a thread in the desktop view. I got no clue on that one. I've never seen any of the stars filled in.