Any chance of getting a mobile app back?

On 11/28/2018 at 12:09 AM, Mr2Scents said:

I also have stopped visiting the boards due to Tapatalk no longer working. I check back just to see if there is any progress. Hopefully they figure this out and reconfigure with Tapatalk. I really don’t need yet another app on my phone. 

Just curious, do you use Tapatalk for any other boards?  I didn't.  Had both TT and the CC app on my phone.  Mainly used the TT one.

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Just curious, do you use Tapatalk for any other boards?  I didn't.  Had both TT and the CC app on my phone.  Mainly used the TT one.

I realize you weren't asking me, but I use Tapatalk for 8 other sites. My wife used the Tapatalk-based CC app. She's pretty much given up on Cruise Critic. I, clearly have not.

2 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I realize you weren't asking me, but I use Tapatalk for 8 other sites. My wife used the Tapatalk-based CC app. She's pretty much given up on Cruise Critic. I, clearly have not.

I know many do, I was just curious since they mentioned they didn't want another app.

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I also use Tapatalk for several other sites. So simple to switch back and forth and update my favorite specialized news whether it is cruising or blackjack. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, scluvsrain said:

Agree.  Tapatalk worked beautifully for CC.  Is there some reason it can't be re-plugged in?

I suspect that when people use Tapatalk, Cruise Critic loses revenue since people aren't seeing the ad's on the main site.   They want people to see their ads and Tapatalk doesn't help that.    So while traffic may be down, ad revenue may be up.

24 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I suspect that when people use Tapatalk, Cruise Critic loses revenue since people aren't seeing the ad's on the main site.   They want people to see their ads and Tapatalk doesn't help that.    So while traffic may be down, ad revenue may be up.

The CruiseCritic app did show ads as did free Tapatalk. I posted this before, but a website can choose the ads and share in the ad revenue for a $10/month fee, which allows the site to build its own branded app. 

https://www.tapatalk.com/pricing.php

Additional app revenue has to, by definition, be more than the zero you get when no one is visiting the site because there's no app. 

• Like 1

The CruiseCritic app did show ads as did free Tapatalk. I posted this before, but a website can choose the ads and share in the ad revenue for a $10/month fee, which allows the site to build its own branded app. 

Additional app revenue has to, by definition, be more than the zero you get when no one is visiting the site because there's no app. 

Thanks for the insight.   Now I am even more confused by their decision to not include tapatalk functionality.   I have used your many helpful posts on this subject, but it is still not the same at Tapatalk.   My interactions with CC are way down.   Oh well, I am sure they are aware of this and they know how to fix it if they desire.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

12 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I currently see no ads on the mobile web version

11 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Me either, but I'm pretty sure that I used to see small ads on the CC app. Of course, I can't actually verify that now.

19 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Thanks for the insight.   Now I am even more confused by their decision to not include tapatalk functionality.   I have used your many helpful posts on this subject, but it is still not the same at Tapatalk.   My interactions with CC are way down.   Oh well, I am sure they are aware of this and they know how to fix it if they desire.  

They may be holding off until they develop and test their own app. That would make the most sense because they could direct people there instead of Tapatalk. If they add Tapatalk plugin support before their own app is done, they could potentially lose people (and $$) to Tapatalk.  I haven't been able to find anything on other app development platforms for mobile IP Board, so near I can tell, developing on the Tapatalk platform is the only game in town.

I keep checking the TT app connection to CC every few days because I'm running on the theory that they've got to turn it on to test their own app. However, they could be running a whole separate development environment in parallel....

They may be holding off until they develop and test their own app. That would make the most sense because they could direct people there instead of Tapatalk. If they add Tapatalk plugin support before their own app is done, they could potentially lose people (and $$) to Tapatalk.  I haven't been able to find anything on other app development platforms for mobile IP Board, so near I can tell, developing on the Tapatalk platform is the only game in town.

I keep checking the TT app connection to CC every few days because I'm running on the theory that they've got to turn it on to test their own app. However, they could be running a whole separate development environment in parallel....

Since Cruise Critic is owned by Expedia, I suspect that Expedia is probably directing the traffic on this.   I wonder if Expedia or TripAdvisor has an app they could adapt for Cruise Critic?

10 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I don't think that this is the case any more?

Yes,  I discovered the Expedia split up and established Trip Advisor as a separate company years ago.   Trip Advisor still owns cruise critic...

Cruise Critic's Content Leads the Industry

The leading authority and market leader for consumer cruise information; no other single resource covers the world of cruising as thoroughly as Cruise Critic. Since its inception in 1995, Cruise Critic has earned the status of being the most influential cruise site and an innovator of consumer cruise news. The site was acquired by TripAdvisor in 2007, and is part of the largest travel community in the world.

32 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Since Cruise Critic is owned by Expedia, I suspect that Expedia is probably directing the traffic on this.   I wonder if Expedia or TripAdvisor has an app they could adapt for Cruise Critic?

It's TripAdvisor.  To develop an app that runs on top of the IP Board/Invision Community platform, you need something that can interface with the underlying database. That requires some specialized software with the appropriate hooks and function calls to work with the message board software. It's not really something that can be done as a one-off. It's fairly resource-intensive from a software standpoint, and I'm reasonably sure that you'd have to build an app on a platform designed specifically for message boards.

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Perhaps the reason is the one given by CC. There are compatibility issues with the app and are working on a solution.

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I don't either. I don't see the photo gallery at the bottom of the page either as I block those page elements with an ad blocker but with the ad blocker disabled I don't see the ads either if I am using the phone verticaly like usual, only the photo gallery.   If I turn the phone horizontal the ads do appear without the blocker but that is not something I would normaly do anyway with the phone. Laura says she does not understand why those would bother anyone which indicates being tone deaf on moble use to me. It is not only the data used, on mobile, iPhone and iPad they take up quite a bit of the page and include selfies and other bad photos I am not interested in. I have not bothered blocking them on my computer because they don't dominate the page on my web browser on my computer because I don't scroll the page to the bottom where they are.   On the browser on my computer they are horizontally distorted to a panarama like aspect for some reason. Awful. I don't think you meant you Presidents Cruise photo to look like it does.  If I click on the photo then it looks right but I only clicked to see if that would fix the photo. 

The only reason I did not see CC ads in Tapatalk is I have been grandfathered in as I bought it as an ad free version a long time ago which I don't believe is possible to get now. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of forums that I can read and post to with Tapatalk. I am subscribed ot four forums there. One of those forums uses the same forum software as Tapatalk. I don't think there are any other forum apps out there but Tapatalk or custom apps like the CC app which was the Tapatalk app customized for Cruise Critic. 

Edited by Charles4515

10 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't either. I don't see the photo gallery at the bottom of the page either as I block those page elements with an ad blocker but with the ad blocker disabled I don't see the ads either if I am using the phone verticaly like usual, only the photo gallery.   If I turn the phone horizontal the ads do appear without the blocker but that is not something I would normaly do anyway with the phone. Laura says she does not understand why those would bother anyone which indicates being tone deaf on moble use to me. It is not only the data used, on mobile, iPhone and iPad they take up quite a bit of the page and include selfies and other bad photos I am not interested in. I have not bothered blocking them on my computer because they don't dominate the page on my web browser on my computer because I don't scroll the page to the bottom where they are.   On the browser on my computer they are horizontally distorted to a panarama like aspect for some reason. Awful. I don't think you meant you Presidents Cruise photo to look like it does.  

The only reason I did not see CC ads in Tapatalk is I have been grandfathered in as I bought it as an ad free version a long time ago which I don't believe is possible to get now. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of forums that I can read and post to with Tapatalk. I am subscribed ot four forums there. One of those forums uses the same forum software as Tapatalk. I don't think there are any other forum apps out there but Tapatalk or custom apps like the CC app which was the Tapatalk app customized for Cruise Critic. 

I don't do anything to stop the ads.  I do see them on my laptop. Member Galleries appear on the right side of my laptop, bottom of phone.  

Rarely turn phone sideways, but when I do I see signatures.  That's cool

Hey, I do see ads sideways. Never noticed that

Edited by John&LaLa

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I don't do anything to stop the ads.  I do see them on my laptop. Member Galleries appear on the right side of my laptop, bottom of phone

The ad zone is in the right rail, and it's suppressed in the mobile display media rules. The rest of the right rail shifts to the bottom in the mobile or small width display. (You can see it if you look at the underlying html.) 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, POA1 said:

The ad zone is in the right rail, and it's suppressed in the mobile display media rules. The rest of the right rail shifts to the bottom in the mobile or small width display. (You can see it if you look at the underlying html.) 

Sounds like a win win for Mobile Web vs App. 😁

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'll take the app for speed and bandwidth sipping over the web version's bandwidth hogging and cramped post box. To each his own though. 

I'll take the app for speed and bandwidth sipping over the web version's bandwidth hogging and cramped post box. To each his own though. 

You know, I'm sitting in my doctor's office with crappy wifi and I really have no speed issues.  I just dont see what many are referring to

Its instantaneous 

Edited by John&LaLa

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

My conclusion is that Cruise Critic didn't think out or pay attention to the effects on mobile use or they believed something they read in promotional material for the new software that may have said it enhanced the mobile experience.  

• Like 2

Just now, Charles4515 said:

My conclusion is that Cruise Critic didn't think out or pay attention to the effects on mobile use or they believed something they read in promotional material for the new software that may have said it enhanced the mobile experience.  

That could be true.