Cribs?

Noahsmom1010

19 hours ago, geekgirl23 said:

I realize the original question has been answered by now, but as the mom of a 3-year-old who is preparing to take our little monkey on his 3rd Silversea cruise, I can validate that yes, they do have cribs. They even have couple of high chairs that they graciously move to wherever you show up to dine. The crew have always been fabulous to our little guy, and since he no longer uses a high chair, they fumble all over him to get pillows to boost him up to table height so he can sit in a regular chair.  Many of the staff have their own little children at home, so they like to see what he's doing and interact with him. Yes, there are a few sideways and disapproving stares from our fellow passengers, but for the most part everyone is very kind and understanding of how hard it is to travel with a toddler. We work really hard to keep him from bothering anyone and typically end up with lots of compliments on his behavior (if only they knew what a little monkey he really is!!).

It sounds perfect to be traveling with family to take turns so you can get a break to enjoy your own trip, too. Having a toddler with you will be a lot of work, so you'll definitely need the rest! Have fun and take LOTS of pictures because he probably won't remember it otherwise!

Geekgirl123,

Thank you so  much for sharing your experiences with your "little monkey" on Silversea.  It is encouraging to know that the  crew was so accommodating, and that you felt that the experience was good enough for you to want to return to this line with a little one.

As far as pictures are concerned, no worries there, as Grandpa (me) is a notorious  annoying, compulsive photo snapper!

Bob 

• 3 months later...
On 11/11/2018 at 1:18 PM, Noahsmom1010 said:

Does silversea have cribs on board?  If so, are they comfortable for a whole week? We need to know whether or not to bring his pack and play. 

For anyone who may be interested in the definitive answer to Amy's initial question, we now have it!

We just disembarked from our cruise, and I can honestly say that it was a wonderful family experience, and it worked out great for everyone.  Including our little darling.  We were well satisfied with the crib, it was of good quality. 

20190219_131452.thumb.jpg.d981afb2669ec415dea6515fc3572783.jpg

We appreciated the safety net on the veranda rail

20190221_122251.thumb.jpg.18eb7951c83d20745095125c4197995f.jpg

The SS crew was wonderful in seeing to it that all of his needs were met.  We never once got "that look", at least as far as we can tell. Noah was a happy cruiser, as were we all.

No regrets about the choice of our big family celebration.

Bob

• Like 2

I must compliment you on the raising of your son and you being good parents.  We always compliment parents that have some type of structure with their children that are so well behaved.

That being said, I have seen some that just don’t care and let them do whatever they want without regard to others.  Yes, some people frown on young ones being on a luxury line as they really have not much to do and they do require a lot of attention.  I guess we forget we were all that age at one time as well.  Some parents are great and some not so much.

I hope you took many photos of your son so when he is older he can see them.

Cheers

On 2/24/2019 at 6:25 AM, boblerm said:

For anyone who may be interested in the definitive answer to Amy's initial question, we now have it!

We just disembarked from our cruise, and I can honestly say that it was a wonderful family experience, and it worked out great for everyone.  Including our little darling.  We were well satisfied with the crib, it was of good quality. 

20190219_131452.thumb.jpg.d981afb2669ec415dea6515fc3572783.jpg

We appreciated the safety net on the veranda rail

20190221_122251.thumb.jpg.18eb7951c83d20745095125c4197995f.jpg

The SS crew was wonderful in seeing to it that all of his needs were met.  We never once got "that look", at least as far as we can tell. Noah was a happy cruiser, as were we all.

No regrets about the choice of our big family celebration.

Bob

Bob I am so happy that everything worked well for all of you as I knew it would.  Terrific crib. Very nice and wise they put on the safety net.  We had a similar experience on our family cruise on Crystal with no looks from others either.  

Congratulation on having a special family celebration on board the ship.  You have made lifelong memories.

Best to you and Jeanne from Anne Marie and myself.

Keith

17 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

I must compliment you on the raising of your son and you being good parents.  We always compliment parents that have some type of structure with their children that are so well behaved.

That being said, I have seen some that just don’t care and let them do whatever they want without regard to others.  Yes, some people frown on young ones being on a luxury line as they really have not much to do and they do require a lot of attention.  I guess we forget we were all that age at one time as well.  Some parents are great and some not so much.

I hope you took many photos of your son so when he is older he can see them.

Cheers

Thank you MalbecWine, my daughter and her husband are amazing parents, but they also realize that they are very fortunate to have a child with a very easy disposition.

No worries about photos, grandpa, as you may know, is a fairly compulsive photo taker.

Bob

15 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Bob I am so happy that everything worked well for all of you as I knew it would.  Terrific crib. Very nice and wise they put on the safety net.  We had a similar experience on our family cruise on Crystal with no looks from others either.  

Congratulation on having a special family celebration on board the ship.  You have made lifelong memories.

Best to you and Jeanne from Anne Marie and myself.

Keith

Keith , thanks so much, here's hoping that you and  Anne Marie continue to love your present adventure.

Bob

I don’t know why I even looked at this thread, but it did bring back the nightmare of screaming Nico—where obviously the main/entire problem was his parents, mainly his father.  That was the first time i got edited and deleted on CC.

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2019 at 10:13 PM, MalbecWine said:

Agreed 100%!  That "look" is not for the child not responsible for booking themself on a cruise woefully inadequate to the task of accommodating and entertaining small children, but for the "parents" that decided their enjoyment outweighed that of their fellow passengers' as well as that of their child.  I can see how it can work when cruising as part of an extended family where each member is happy and willing to do their part, but I do still think (for what my opinion is worth), that in most cases, families with little ones would be much better served on a cruise line focused on them, whether that's a mainstream line like Disney or one of the luxury lines that actively cater to families with young children during specific sailings.  Don't recall offhand exactly which and when, but I have heard that some of them have say, Alaska sailings with nannies onboard and some type of "kid's club" to help strike an amicable balance between the well being of all age groups.  I'll admit that personally, I prefer to be on a ship with no children whatsoever, but that's because due to numerous experiences in the past with the type of "parents" who are disinterested in watching and controlling their children, or raising them in any way, I find myself expecting the worst whenever in the company of children.  Thankfully, my apprehension is occasionally unfounded!

Glad everyone enjoyed their cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 6:40 PM, boblerm said:

As my daughter, Amy, is an elementary school teacher, and has little time to post during the school week, I will respond on her behalf.

Silver Spectre,We will be on the Spirit in the Caribbean in  February. 

Silver Sweethearts and DiscerningTravelers, thank you for your response.  We are well aware that Silversea is not a cruise line that caters to young children or provide special programming or supervision for such.  My wife and I are taking our family on a special cruise to celebrate a special occasion, and the main thing is for all of us to be together on a first class cruise line.  There will be 5 adults coming along to help keep our little grandson entertained, while respecting the sensibilities of our fellow passengers.    I am certain that he will not be a "sad little child" on this cruise.  Amy was merely inquiring as to whether anyone who may have traveled with little ones could comment as to the quality of the cribs, or if they would recommend that she bring her own travel accouterments.  

I must say, however, that I am a bit taken aback by DiscerningTraveler's comment about getting "that look".  While this will be our first Silversea cruise, my wife and I have been on many Regent and Crystal cruises, and anytime there has been a little one on board, the passengers seem to take delight in having them and really seem to enjoy them.  We just assumed that Silversea passengers would be of similar mind, were we mistaken?

Bob

We were on  The Muse in the Mediterranean last summer and there were probably a dozen children onboard ranging in ages from 2 to teens. I must say they were all incredibly well behaved and a delight to be around. I don’t know if anything was organized for them, but I thought the staff were wonderful with them and those old enough to go on excursions had a fabulous time seeing so many different things.

I don’t know how well equipped ie crib, but I would contact SS directly. 

I didn’t once see anyone give the children or their parents “that look” . You will have a wonderful time traveling as a family. 

Edited by Kate.
Spell check

4 hours ago, Kate. said:

We were on  The Muse in the Mediterranean last summer and there were probably a dozen children onboard ranging in ages from 2 to teens. I must say they were all incredibly well behaved and a delight to be around. I don’t know if anything was organized for them, but I thought the staff were wonderful with them and those old enough to go on excursions had a fabulous time seeing so many different things.

I don’t know how well equipped ie crib, but I would contact SS directly. 

I didn’t once see anyone give the children or their parents “that look” . You will have a wonderful time traveling as a family. 

Hi Kate, and welcome to Cruise Critic!

I'm glad that you had a great experience on the Muse.

Our trip is over now, and it was truly everything that I hoped it would be.  The staff was indeed wonderful, and as it turned out, we were well satisfied with the crib.

Bob