Another booze question

Eric the red 63

We're doing the Mediterranean Odyssey next October. Just wondering what kind of beers are offered with the basic deal. I'm kind of a beer snob living in the Northwest and having several microbrews around. And I don't drink bud light and such. Hopefully they have a decent selection. It would be nice if they have some of the local selections but if not I guess I can always bring some back from shore. 

Here is what was on the bar menu on our June, 2016 cruise. I don't know how much this list has changed since then but it is a start.

enhance

Viking is happy for you to bring local beers on board. They encourage it. The bartenders or wait staff will give you glasses if you wish; just ask.

As a person who prefers hoppy beers, I was disappointed with the selection on our Viking cruises. Since we had the Silver Spirits Package, I was able to try all different types of drinks and found some new favorites. My favorite was called La Bastille which was on the menu in January 2017 but not on the menu in January 2018. Luckily, one of the bartenders was able to find the recipe and recreate it for me. It consisted of Armagnac, Cointreau and lemon juice if I remember correctly. (or perhaps Grand Marnier instead of Cointreau)

One great thing about Viking is you are free to bring alcohol on board so if you find a nice beer in port, it's never a problem to bring it back on the ship to drink. We did this with wine a few times.

if by 'basic deal' you mean the beer "included" with lunch or dinner

technically it was the Carlsberg draft ....

altho at lunch I was often asked if I wanted light or dark and when I asked for dark that came from a can .... I had the drink package tho so didn't pay that much attention.  I know on our River experiences only the draft was the "included" 

on our Northern Lights trip the beer selection was beyond what was printed: several Norwegian selections were on board.

Edited by Capt_BJ

18 hours ago, Eric the red 63 said:

We're doing the Mediterranean Odyssey next October. Just wondering what kind of beers are offered with the basic deal. I'm kind of a beer snob living in the Northwest and having several microbrews around. And I don't drink bud light and such. Hopefully they have a decent selection. It would be nice if they have some of the local selections but if not I guess I can always bring some back from shore. 

Hoping to see a beer report after your cruise next year.

I also don't drink any of that ultra cold yellow fizzy liquid (sorry can't call it beer) from any multi- national. Only drink IPA's, stouts & porters from our numerous local micro breweries. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Heidi13

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I also don't drink any of that ultra cold yellow fizzy liquid (sorry can't call it beer) from any multi- national. Only drink IPA's, stouts & porters from our numerous local micro breweries. :classic_biggrin:

I only drink micro brewery dark beers. I just think any beer that goes in the same color as it comes out does you no good. :classic_biggrin: If you drink a dark beer and it comes out the same color it may be time to visit your Urologist:classic_ohmy:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I only drink micro brewery dark beers. I just think any beer that goes in the same color as it comes out does you no good. :classic_biggrin: If you drink a dark beer and it comes out the same color it may be time to visit your Urologist:classic_ohmy:

Hmmm. Last of the great drinkers here, piping in to say that I don't mind what the color is as long as it doesn't taste like what we are talking about.

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Almost sounds like you are describing Fresca. Or is it Mountain Dew that is chock full of yellow food coloring?

I hesitate to get into this thread as it seems "wine snob" is spreading into the beer drinking world.  As a long time beer drinker, partially raised in English pubs, I have always subscribed to the idea of drink the best beer available. If that is Budweiser, so be it.  On the WC we had, at times, beer on board from New Zealand, Australia, China, Cambodia, and India in addition to the regular "swill" as indicated by the above ship's list.  Two thoughts I would like to make concerning beer and ships.

1.  No ship can carry every passenger's favorite beer.

2. According to the CAMRA Guide, Real Ales should not travel more than 20 miles from the brewery and once the cask is tapped it should be consumed or discarded after 24 hours.  Not very practical for ships.

My personal favorite is Shropshire Lad but I will make the ultimate sacrifice and drink whatever appears to be the best beer available each day on the next World Cruise.  I know, shocking, but I will do my best....🍺

Jim - On the West Coast, especially the Pacific NW, I believe us beer snobs way out number the wine snobs.

In Metro Vancouver, we have about 70 local micro-breweries, but the CAMRA style "Real Ales" are still in the infancy. Just last weekend, I attended a local beer festival and for the first time they had a section for cask ales, only 6 choices, but a good start. First time I have seen this since I left UK.

Like you, I will try a number of beers in various countries, but have already researched most of the ports on the 2020 WC for micro-breweries, should we have some spare time after tours to quench the thirst. :classic_biggrin:

5 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

If you have time in Darwin, the Hotel Darwin bar has Great Northern Brewing Co products.  A nice quaff.  The mixed grill of 'roo, crock, etc. is good too.  

Thanks - added them to my list, which already included 6 tanks brewery & Precinct Pub

5 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Just returned from continuing ed in Portland Oregon.  I saw what you mean.  Had to try an outlandish number of brew pubs.  Good but not as good as English cask ales.  The food trucks and Voodoo Donuts were a hit with DW.

Totally agree.

I always ask if they have any ales on a nitro tap, which I find is the closest to cask ale. One of our 4 local breweries have a few nitro taps with a variety of Brown Ales, Stouts & Porters.

On 11/13/2018 at 7:43 PM, Heidi13 said:

Totally agree.

I always ask if they have any ales on a nitro tap, which I find is the closest to cask ale. One of our 4 local breweries have a few nitro taps with a variety of Brown Ales, Stouts & Porters.

Have you been Calister on Franklin street? always a nitro there, and hello fellow Vancouver
Viking Cruise Fan.

I did not drink much beer on my last one, I am leaving in 2 weeks for another Viking Cruise but 
enjoy the cocktails, aperitifs and wine on board too much to drink the beer (again I have so many breweries a 10 minute drive from my place at home, so spoiled).

9 hours ago, SquatsandChampagne said:

Have you been Calister on Franklin street? always a nitro there, and hello fellow Vancouver
Viking Cruise Fan.

I did not drink much beer on my last one, I am leaving in 2 weeks for another Viking Cruise but 
enjoy the cocktails, aperitifs and wine on board too much to drink the beer (again I have so many breweries a 10 minute drive from my place at home, so spoiled).

Don't get down to Vancouver much, so negative, haven't tried that one.

We are in Maple Ridge, where we have 4 breweries.