Sailing single

aboutimetocruise

I am sailing on a Cunard Transatlantic and have not seen much by way of comments for single travelers.

Some negative stuff actually as to boring etc and fellow travelers over 60 not much to party and dance with. Any comments are welcome.

Thank you,

Edited by aboutimetocruise
Wanted to make sure the reader knew this was for Cunard traveler on Transatlantic

I made a solo return crossing on QM2 in Aug/Sept, having obtained a substantial discount on a Deck 12 balcony stateroom. I'd hoped that a companion could accompany me, which I was assured by Cunard could be accommodated up until 5 days before departure. When that didn't work out I was left paying the 75% single supplement, bringing my fare back about to the advertised rates prior to my discount, which still wasn't unreasonable..
This was my first trip aboard a passenger ship after several decades spent on and around working ships. Hey, why not start with the best, right? I found the voyage(s) very pleasant and relaxing. I'm not an overly sociable person by nature, but I found that there was as much company as I desired and for the rest I enjoyed the solitude.

On the eastbound voyage I was welcomed warmly by the FoD group (despite my being straight) who met frequently in the lounge. I have long been friendly with numerous individuals from the LGBT community and I happened to find a friendly chemistry with several of the folks I met on board ... as a group they skewed closer to my age i.e. a bit younger than the typical Cunard demographic (40s-50s versus 60s-70s) and they happened to be witty, intelligent and simply excellent company.
On the westbound voyage I hit it off with a Welsh gent I'd met in the pub, and ended up closing the bar with him on several occasions after his lovely wife had retired for the evening. I also enjoyed several chats on the aft deck with a charming Scottish gentleman who was staying in the Queen's Grill with his wife.
I dined each evening at a table for 8, and I found most of my tablemates to be great company. I joined in a few of the solo travellers' coffee gatherings, but didn't make any real connections there.

I attended a few of the lectures and other activities, but generally just found quiet locations throughout the ship to relax with a book, or on my balcony enjoying the salt air and sounds of the waves splashing against the hull. The library was a favourite spot (the seats facing the forward windows), as was the open observation deck on Deck 11. I even enjoyed a very relaxing spa day (probably should have worked in a few more of those!)

If you are more social than I then you should have no problem meeting like-minded, interesting folks. It certainly helps if you are comfortable in your own company, since Cunard's programs are not really geared to forced entertainment in the same manner that I gather some cruise lines offer.

My closest travel equivalent was taking Amtrak's California Zephyr solo from Chicago to Oakland several years ago ... three days of watching the scenery pass by, socializing at meals and in the observation car otherwise simply enjoying the experience.

I hope that reassures you somewhat.

PJ

My next voyage will be my first solo, but on past (16)voyages I have made the acquaintance of several solo travelers including the lovely Lynn (known on this board as Jims' Gir)l. Lynn was a joy to travel with and to get to know. I do know that there will be plenty to keep me busy, with lectures, musical presentations, Films, and a number of parties where you can attend as a well as wonderful food and drink.  

And as the prior poster said, just sitting down with a good book can be time well spent. QM2 has an excellent library, and I am still trying to work my way through the Agatha Christie novels 80 in number. I try to read one or two I haven't read before on each voyage, as well as a new book I will pick up at Hatchards when I am in London before the crossing. 

Edited by Bigmike911

1 hour ago, aboutimetocruise said:

Thank you very much for the response. Did you happen to notice any single ladies by chance?

On my trips there were certainly solo women travellers, as well as women travelling in pairs/groups. For the most part they seemed to stay with their own companions and, while I chatted with numerous ladies in passing, it didn't seem like any were seeking shipboard romance, if that's what you're asking about.

I gather there are other cruise lines that cater more to that sort of singles demographic.

I mean, I'm no pick-up artist, and most of the ladies seemed to be somewhat older or considerably younger than my own mid-fifties age-range ... but of course "your mileage may vary".

1 minute ago, aboutimetocruise said:

Thank you very much. One of the blogs did say that if all the wheel chairs and walkers were to be thrown overboard a new reef would be created.  Appreciate the feedback. Looking forward to it all you have described. 

Dunno if that is fair comment. 

I noticed maybe half a dozen passengers using mobility devices, so let's double that and call it a dozen. Out of 2000-plus passengers. And those weren't all necessarily elderly; in fact I'd imagine that any mobility-impaired traveller might find a large ship more accessible than a cramped aircraft.

The average age trended older bien sur, but mostly they seemed like a pretty active older crowd ... just not necessarily looking to hook up.

I often cruise solo and my tip is to dine in the main dining room for breakfast and lunch on sharing tables (rather than the Lido Buffet Restaurant). I’ve met so many interesting people and am sometimes pleased when in the Commodore Club and other bars when people I’ve met ask if they can join me. The staff are also very good company either when I’m sitting at the bar or even at a table if they are not busy they will have a chat about my day and recommend some drinks to try. 

I go to the afternoon teas too and often end up sharing a table with nice people as the teas can get very busy. I’m normally fortunate at cocktail parties to see someone I’ve met at a meal time. If I don’t, I find a seat and people watch. 

I’ve not been to a singles mingle before so can’t comment on those. 

I love the insight lectures, planetarium and films so during the day I’m often rushing about ship to get to my next activity or meal. I find I’m the opposite of board on a transatlantic and if I am ever stuck for something to do, I look at travel guides in the library. 

Im sure you’ll love your transatlantic.

Edited by Gary999

I was on QM2 #0840 TA crossing, and seated at a table of 8, all solo travelers.  Five men, four women.  One of the women was on the ship only for the ballroom dancing.  She was quite good.   We were told that one person was a last minute cancellation. We had a great party at our table (Late dining) every night, and were usually about the last group to leave the dining room.

I also tried to visit the Britannia Dining Room as often as other activities would permit and met new and interesting people daily.   The daily 1030 solo traveler coffee also proved to be an interesting way to meet people who were specifically interested in meeting other people during the crossing.  With 2600 people on board, it was surprising how frequently while walking around the ship, walking into a lounge,  shop or event space that  would see and talk to someone I'd perhaps only have met the day before.  I was like seeing a long-lost friend.  A group of us who met at a Solo Traveler coffee set a time an place to meet in the evening for cocktails. That, too, became a regular thing.  Most of that group of about 25 have exchanged email addresses and are keeping in touch.  

I did meet a couple of solo travelers who did seem a bit miserable, but I suspect they are among those who could be among the thousands at the Proms in Hyde Park and yet feel quite alone. 

Bottom line:  There will be many solo travelers aboard, most of whom will be delighted to meet you. 

26 minutes ago, ddgarner1 said:

I did meet a couple of solo travelers who did seem a bit miserable, but I suspect they are among those who could be among the thousands at the Proms in Hyde Park and yet feel quite alone. 
Bottom line:  There will be many solo travelers aboard, most of whom will be delighted to meet you. 

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but it sounds quite uncharitable to characterize solo travelers as "miserable" for want of their matching other people's expectations of socializing. 
In my two weeks aboard the QM2 I met exactly one "miserable" traveler (and not a solo at that) who hijacked a pleasant conversation on the aft deck into a racist rant about minorities in the UK. That's how I define miserable.
Many people might be introverted, some to the point of being uncomfortable meeting and socializing with strangers. Some might be "delighted to meet you" and others might not ... I prefer to respect their respective boundaries. One lady on this discussion board was planning a solo trip in memory of her late husband and indicated a preference to be left to her own company. That is her choice and her right.
One of the aspects of Cunard that I found desirable was an expectation that I could relax and enjoy a bit of solitude as a welcome break from my frenetic professional life. If I had wanted the sea-borne equivalent of a Butlins holiday camp, I could likely find that on several rival cruise lines. I have no desire to be badgered into fitting anyone else's presumptions of the "correct" level of participation in activities or socialization. Instead, Cunard allows one to opt in OR OUT of the social scene at one's leisure.
I found ample social opportunities where I wanted them, but also enjoyed quiet times on my own, which for me was kind of the point of the voyage. For me, quiet personal time aboard a comfortable masterpiece of naval architecture was worth the price of admission.
Just providing an alternate point of view.

On 11/11/2018 at 6:34 PM, aboutimetocruise said:

I am sailing on a Cunard Transatlantic and have not seen much by way of comments for single travelers.

Some negative stuff actually as to boring etc and fellow travelers over 60 not much to party and dance with. Any comments are welcome.

Thank you,

Lots of single folk on all Cunard runs. They have gentlemen hosts in the Queens room for after dinner dancing and if that is too quiet for you head to the disco. Plenty of people there to dance with. On a B-B TA two Decembers ago a bunch of 70 plus folk closed the disco on several nights during the trip. Also assigned seating is so much better for singles. Request a large table 8 - 10 and Cunard will usually put you with a bunch of other singles mixed male and female and not all from the same country. Much fun. Enjoy the trip, you will be back many times.

There's a reason you see so many negative comments. Many years ago, there would always be a couple of excellent dancers plus several you could work with, even then TA's did tend to be more couple-oriented. When Cunard joined the race to the bottom a decade ago, the good dancers stopped- two ladies I know won't be back unless there are radical changes. Partners now are likely to be inactive, out-of-condition old women who want someone to hold them up while they waddle around, panting in your face. I hope you like Quickstep, they play a half-dozen every set. There used to be 6 hosts on QM2, somebody recently posted there were only 3. My last TA solo on QE, the buffet was excellent, but otherwise, the money better spent elsewhere. The solo events, nice enough people but nobody who shared my interests (I don't use alcohol, so sitting in a bar is of zero interest). I'm now reluctant to choose Cunard except with a group, I've pretty much switched to Costa.

Costa isn't as good as Cunard used to be but better than Cunard is now. No guarantees, but depending how I allocate costs for add-on trips, it works out to half to one-third the price, it's easier to be philosophical if partners don't quite work out.