Embarkation on Liberty of the seas?

3bzmom

We are going out of Galveston in February on Liberty of the Seas. Anyone know how early we can embark on RCL? I'm going to book transportation from IAH and want to know how early we should leave in the morning. (flying in the day before).

Past two years I've arrived at the port at around 10:30 am. Once I made my way through the security check point I got through the registration line and on the ship a little after 11:00 am.

One thing to remember though is during February there can be delays as far as the ship getting into port due to fog which will cause a delay in getting on board obviously.  I would suggest liking the Port of Galveston facebook page which is a good source of information.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't actually sailed out of Galveston since 2017, although we have another trip scheduled next year. I keep a personal blog where I wrote an entry about our process of getting on the ship. It is located here if that is helpful to you. Generally speaking, though, I am a big fan of getting to the ship early and found the process quite efficient.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 6:38 AM, SciFiGuy1960 said:

Past two years I've arrived at the port at around 10:30 am. Once I made my way through the security check point I got through the registration line and on the ship a little after 11:00 am.

One thing to remember though is during February there can be delays as far as the ship getting into port due to fog which will cause a delay in getting on board obviously.  I would suggest liking the Port of Galveston facebook page which is a good source of information.

SciFiGuy is correct on all points.  Fog issue is very real.  We almost missed our 2:00 flight out of IAH due to late arrival into Galveston last January from VOTS. 

15 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

SciFiGuy is correct on all points.  Fog issue is very real.  We almost missed our 2:00 flight out of IAH due to late arrival into Galveston last January from VOTS. 

Fog season has begun!!  Just got off Liberty this past weekend and about 30 minutes after tying up to pier, the fog came rolling in and we couldn't even see the other side of the harbor.  I am sure it cleared up for sail away, but could have delayed us getting in if we were much later arriving that morning.  Funny thing is driving home, once over the causeway...no more fog!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Paula B said:

Is there usually a problem with fog in late March?

We were delayed several years ago in mid March. It was a combination of fog and a barge incident/fuel spill on the inter coastal waterway(several miles inland from port) though.

Main cause that time of year are drastic temperature changes and low winds.