Anyone want to play a dress code guessing game? (Carnival)

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about what to wear at dinner for my 3 night cruise to nowhere on Carnival Legend next week.

From what I can see on the website, I can expect an elegant night AND a theme night, which seems OTT for the length of the cruise.

Would any experienced Carnival people like to help me figure out what might be on, and which night the elegant and theme nights are likely to be? 

I have a Nouveau booking on night 2 - if that's elegant night are they more or less strict about dress code than MDR?  I was hoping my teens could get away with 'nice' jeans and trainers.

My fiancee and I did a 3 nighter on the Legend out of Melb back in March and we had elegant night on the first night and then Mexican night on the last night which was also the deck party. We also had dinner at Nouveau (which was on formal night) and they aren't strict at all with the dress code, just no open toed shoes or singlets allowed... saw 4 people get turned away and told to change their shoes while we were eating.

We decided to eat in the MDR on Mexican night as up until then we had been doing the buffet and wished we had just stuck to the buffet instead.. the food was overly bad, portion sizes were small, my fiancee ordered an item that said it "comes with tomato sauce" on the menu, he questioned where this tomato sauce was with our waiter and was told "oh no sir, you have to ASK for it" I pointed out that no, in fact the menu states it "comes with tomato sauce" it doesn't mention you have to 'ask' for it, maitre D came over and asked us what the issue was. I told her what was happening, she apologised and asked our waiter to bring the tomato sauce out, I said if your staff do not even know what is listed in the menu or what comes with the meal and what doesn't then how can we be sure we are getting what we ordered/asked for? She assured us that this was a small mistake on the waiters part and it doesn't happen "often"  but yeah, not very impressed especially considering how great the buffet was so we were shocked the MDR was even worse 🤷‍♀️

On the other hand the actual Mexican deck party was sooo much fun!!!! Lots of dancing.. and bad singing was done by everyone 😂 lots of good Mexican costumes too. I've been on 2 Carnival and 3 P&O cruises and can definitely say Carnival have the deck parties down pat IMO. 

Edited by lisalila

Done 15 cruises with Carnival. On first night it would be Cruise Casual. so nice shorts & a nice t-shirt or Collard  polo. 2nd Night WILL be Elegant.. You got no worries with Nouveau booked. Last night will be 80's or Mexican, so dress-up if you want. carnival has a good participation rate compared to other lines.

As mentioned above; you will find the same food in MDR & Buffet (La Playa) on that night... 

The only other heads up is; if you can change your reservation at Nouveau to first night if you can; as you get a free bottle of wine on that night only.

Oh after day 1 you will enjoy the Decor..

• Like 1

Oh brilliant, I had a busy day at work and look at all the replies, thank you all!

I'm so pleased I don't have to faff around finding proper pants and shoes for Mr 14yo beanpole with clown feet.

Would love to take advantage of the free wine on night 1 but really need to get the kids sorted in their clubs etc. 

• Like 1

I have neighbours with kids who often do cruises on Carnival Spirit, they tell me these days just about anything goes re dress codes, real casual.  A big change from our one and only Carnival cruise on Spirit, Hawaii/Alaska in 2006. She was an 'American ship then, 95% North American pax, formal nights in MDR it was Tuxedo time for just about everybody.  None of that rubbish on top of the ship like waterslides etc back then.  But they still had singing/dancing waiters and a sea day was designated a 'Fun Day at Sea.'

Edited by NSWP