Drinks packages significant change - less value :(

adelaidefc

I just managed to login to my booking for May next year on Bellissima and have noticed the drinks packages have changed and prices have gone up and with less value. 

They are now separated into the Easy, Premium and Premium Plus Packages, defined by price limits for drinks. With a generic kids package relatively unchanged apart from there only being now one option for <18s. 

The costs have gone up at least about 30%, though it may depend on your currency (mine is AUD). 

The rendering on the page stuffs up but I'm assuming the value on the description for my cruise is drinks up to 6 Euro for the Easy package. 

It's pretty disappointing they could change this at such short notice. Given that even the simplest cocktail (Gin & Tonic, Mojito etc) is >6 Euro it represents a significant devaluation of the package Example European drink prices from 2017

Here's the description of each package:

Easy Package:

Unlimited consumption of all drinks priced up to 6! Savour the freedom to satisfy your thirst at any moment with a dedicated selection of house wines by the glass, draught beer (Heineken*), selected spirits and cocktails, non-alcoholic cocktails, soft drinks and fruit juices by the glass, bottled mineral water, classic hot drink (espresso, cappuccino, caffe latte, hot tea) and coffee and chocolate delights. You can take advantage of this offer in all onboard bars, as well as the self-service buffet and restaurants, excluding speciality restaurants. *The brand of beer may vary overtime.

TERMS & CONDITIONS: This package is for personal use only and valid for one booking at a time. The ID card issued with the package is non-transferrable. Abusing the terms of the package may result in the service being withdrawn and the remaining days not being refunded. The price of the package applies to each day of the cruise except for the day of disembarkation; the package cannot be purchased on a daily basis. Once activated on board, the package cannot be terminated and refunded. The package must be booked by all guests occupying the same cabin, or travelling together and wishing to eat at the same table, including minors who must book the Child version of the package. The package is not obligatory for infants under 3 years old (i.e. who have not yet reached their 3rd birthday). The following items are not included in the package: tobacco, souvenir glasses, ice cream menu, retail items, minibar and room service.

Premium Package:

Unlimited consumption of all drinks priced up to 10! Give yourself an almost endless choice of ways to refresh yourself anytime you want. This offer includes a wide range of cocktails, spirits, liqueurs, aperitifs, wines by the glass, draught and bottled beers, sodas, fruit juices, bottled mineral water, energy drinks, classic and special coffee drinks, hot chocolate delights and organic tea. The offer is valid in all onboard bars, as well as the self-service buffet and restaurants, including speciality restaurants.

TERMS & CONDITIONS: This package is for personal use only and valid for one booking at a time. The ID card issued with the package is non-transferrable. Abusing the terms of the package may result in the service being withdrawn and the remaining days not being refunded. The price of the package applies to each day of the cruise except for the day of disembarkation; the package cannot be purchased on a daily basis. Once activated on board, the package cannot be terminated and refunded. The package must be booked by all guests occupying the same cabin, or travelling together and wishing to eat at the same table, including minors who must book the Child version of the package. The package is not obligatory for infants under 3 years old (i.e. who have not yet reached their 3rd birthday). The following items are not included in the package: tobacco, souvenir glasses, ice cream menu, retail items, minibar and room service.

Premium Plus:

Unlimited consumption of all drinks by the glass, with no price limit! Enjoy the finest beverages available, and the freedom to quench your thirst however, whenever and wherever you like! Drinks and food from the minibar and the room service menu and drinks from theme bar menus are all included as well. This offer also entitles you to a 30% discount on bottles of wine and champagne from our wine lists. You can order your drinks in all onboard bars, as well as the self-service buffet and restaurants, including the speciality restaurants.

TERMS & CONDITIONS: This package is for personal use only and valid for one booking at a time. The ID card issued with the package is non-transferrable. Abusing the terms of the package may result in the service being withdrawn and the remaining days not being refunded. The price of the package applies to each day of the cruise except for the day of disembarkation; the package cannot be purchased on a daily basis. Once activated on board, the package cannot be terminated and refunded. The package must be booked by all guests occupying the same cabin, or travelling together and wishing to eat at the same table, including minors who must book the Child version of the package. The package is not obligatory for infants under 3 years old (i.e. who have not yet reached their 3rd birthday). The following items are not included in the package: tobacco, souvenir glasses, ice cream menu and retail items.

Non-Alcoholic Child: 

Unlimited soft drinks and more! Give your kids the freedom to enjoy their choice of alcohol-free cocktails, sodas, energy drinks, bottled mineral water, flavoured water, fruit juices, a wide range of premium coffee drinks, hot chocolate delights, organic tea and soft ice cream. These can be consumed in all onboard bars, as well as the self-service buffet and restaurants, excluding speciality restaurants. This offer is only available to CHILDREN AGED 3-17 YEARS who are part of a group/family purchasing an ADULT package.

TERMS & CONDITIONS: This package is for personal use only and valid for one booking at a time. The ID card issued with the package is non-transferrable. Abusing the terms of the package may result in the service being withdrawn and the remaining days not being refunded. The price of the package applies to each day of the cruise except for the day of disembarkation; the package cannot be purchased on a daily basis. Once activated on board, the package cannot be terminated and refunded. The following items are not included in the package: tobacco, souvenir glasses, ice cream menu, retail items, minibar and room service.

Edited by adelaidefc

Also note the plans (including kids) don't include ice cream, only "soft" ice cream. So no gelato, just crappy soft serve. I know it's a minor thing but it really annoys me. 

If your version of the absolutely atrocious MSC site is showing the old package - book it now. 

The New packages show up for our Xmas Divina cruise apart from the Premium plus! at £220 for Easy and £440 for Premium, we have the Deluxe package booked for Xmas, it is to be hoped that MSC honour all previous drink package bookings under the terms they were booked under. Another kick in the nuts is that they have once again gone back to no drinks on Disembarkation day!

I am looking at MSC USA site and there is only an Easy Package and a Premium Package, no Premium Plus.  We also have upgraded to the classic package and wondering what the HECK!!!  No way would I have paid $1100 for our 32 days on the Divina for Miller Lite only, no foofoo drinks, etc.  Even with the DOU you get more than what the classic package has been replaced with.

3 hours ago, abbflex said:

Wonder wich one will go with the Auera experience now.    

On the Scandinavian site it still says classic pack. 

To answer myself.  Did just revice an e-mail from the scandinaviaen customer support With a flyer stating the Aurea-experience includes the easy packet. 

I also don't see a premium plus package option for our cruise in December.  I think it is very unfair that people who upgraded to the Deluxe package and paid more will now have the same package as people who paid less to upgrade to the Classic to their is only one so called "Premium Package".  This is so wrong!  People who paid for the Deluxe package should not be downgraded!  So I basically paid for an upgrade that no longer exists and I could have paid for a lesser upgrade and got the same thing?!  

8 minutes ago, sidari said:

MSC UK have replied to my email earlier stating that existing packages will be honoured, bookings from today will be on the new packages. So far only MSC know what is in each package!

I can see that working well once you're on board! If we both sailed on the same cruise with the same experience/package but I booked last week and you booked today our entitlement is different...the staff are never going to deal with that.

Well mine was booked some time ago, so if they try to change or alter it in any way the brown smelly stuff will be hitting the fan.

I think they will have a different code for the New packages in order to get around that issue.

1 hour ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I can see that working well once you're on board! If we both sailed on the same cruise with the same experience/package but I booked last week and you booked today our entitlement is different...the staff are never going to deal with that.

No problem to deal with on the ship. I assume that the different packages are "loaded" on the cards so when swiping the cards the staff know how much, if any, people shall pay.

The problem might be in the YC where the cards aren't used when ordering drinks.

3 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

You'll have to start needing your card when ordering drinks in YC along with everywhere else on the ship then. Guess I'll find out next week.

So then that problem is gone too. Mixed packages among the passengers will not be a problem if everyone has to use their cards when ordering drinks.

Honoring the packages will not help if the on board pricing really has changed so that Classic and Aurea now only have Heineken draft and Miller in a bottle as a choice.  Three house wines and a terrible selection of cocktails, again it looks like 90% are now above the Classic price limit?  Regardless, my Aurea sailings would be downgraded.  At least I can cancel my current Drinks On Us upgrade to Classic as that would basically be worthless now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Até said:

Honoring the packages will not help if the on board pricing really has changed so that Classic and Aurea now only have Heineken draft and Miller in a bottle as a choice.  Three house wines and a terrible selection of cocktails, again it looks like 90% are now above the Classic price limit?  Regardless, my Aurea sailings would be downgraded.  At least I can cancel my current Drinks On Us upgrade to Classic as that would basically be worthless now.

I'm looking at cancelling the cruise and not just the package.  This would be at least a $600 change for us since we'll upgrade the package and still buy gelato and shakes to keep the kids happy.  I'm looking back at Celebrity now.  The appeal of MSC was the value.  That sounds like it's gone, so we might be gone.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cathep said:

I'm looking at cancelling the cruise and not just the package.  This would be at least a $600 change for us since we'll upgrade the package and still buy gelato and shakes to keep the kids happy.  I'm looking back at Celebrity now.  The appeal of MSC was the value.  That sounds like it's gone, so we might be gone.  

With you all the way.

Totally disgusted with them.

Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me with an email address of Customer Service in the UK.
I have an upcoming cruise booked with Aurea experience and keen to find out the impact this will change will have.
Tried using the online Form to no avail.  Despite completing the Form it will not accept any entry in the 'Type of Request' field!
Having just hung on for 20 minutes awaiting someone to answer the phone I'm losing the will to live.
Any help, much appreciated.  

20 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

With you all the way.

Totally disgusted with them.

I wonder how many others are, too.  They must have figured out the free gelato et al is not a sustainable model going forward, but seems like they should have grandfathered in those who'd already booked.   I hadn't upgraded to deluxe because (a) we hadn't made final payment, (b) online it was showing that I would have to pay in full instead of the upgrade from Aurea to deluxe, and (c) I didn't want to have to call in and deal with their horrible customer service to do it.  I haven't received anything from them about this yet and am not inclined to sit on hold for hours like I've done before to get confirmation of what I can read here.  

It's funny how perception can turn on a dime.  Yesterday I was able to tolerate the bad website and potential future dealing with their customer service.  The cruiseline seems to have a love/hate reaction from cruisers.  I figured we'd be in the love category.  This one thing has the potential to change it all for me.  

Edited by cathep
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, WhitlocksEnd said:

Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me with an email address of Customer Service in the UK.
I have an upcoming cruise booked with Aurea experience and keen to find out the impact this will change will have.
Tried using the online Form to no avail.  Despite completing the Form it will not accept any entry in the 'Type of Request' field!
Having just hung on for 20 minutes awaiting someone to answer the phone I'm losing the will to live.
Any help, much appreciated.  

Try customerservices@msccruises.co.uk

I really feel for those who have alreday booked and not getting what you paid for. I booked a cruise 2 days ago and am happy to see that the price for premium plus, witch I am going to have is only marginally higher now, and also clearly points out that ALL drinks by the glass is included.  On Symphony this summer I had to pay the difference in the 13$+ drinks(like expensive wines, cognacs etc). Also there was no minibar included there, so I’m satisfied.