Taxi cost to Horseshoe bay

Iamcruzin

I haven't been to Bermuda in 10 years. Last time we took a taxi or mini bus  to horseshoe bay. It was more expensive than a bus ride but we got there and back faster because we didn't have to wait for the buses to load and we didn't have to walk up and down the big hill. I just can't remember how much we paid. It will be 5 of us traveling.

21 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I haven't been to Bermuda in 10 years. Last time we took a taxi or mini bus  to horseshoe bay. It was more expensive than a bus ride but we got there and back faster because we didn't have to wait for the buses to load and we didn't have to walk up and down the big hill. I just can't remember how much we paid. It will be 5 of us traveling.

At the current rates a taxi for 5 from the Dockyard to Horseshoe will be about $45. There is a 50% surcharge on Sundays and Holidays.  The shared ride minibuses cost $7 per person per ride. 

In August, as a group of five, we took a taxi to Horseshoe Bay and I wanted to leave earlier than the rest of my group, so I took the shuttle bus as a solo on return.

I wanted to say, because it sounds a little confusing in your post, that *both* taxis and shuttle busses pick up and drop off at the bottom of the hill. Returning timely was no problem as they were packing that bus to the gills within five minute:classic_biggrin: That said, given the prices, for five people it’s a no brainer to take the more comfortable taxi.

• 3 months later...
Where do you catch the minibus from the Dockyard?  Is it different than the public bus?

They are different. The minibuses are private and charge $7 per person per ride to Horseshoe. The minibuses are in the middle of a parking area between the two docks. It is marked zone 5 on this map.

55c070c518073ef08795fd9c1397a911.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They are different. The minibuses are private and charge $7 per person per ride to Horseshoe. The minibuses are in the middle of a parking area between the two docks. It is marked zone 5 on this map.

Thanks! Do they just go back and forth to Horseshoe or to other places?  Is it hard to catch one going back to port?

Edited by CruisinCrow

Thanks! Do they just go back and forth to Horseshoe or to other places?  Is it hard to catch one going back to port?

To Horseshoe they shuttle back and forth until 5 or 5:30. Think of them a shared ride. They are easy to catch back, they pick up where you are let off at the beach. So as soon as they fill, about 5 to 10 minutes they leave. Horseshoe is the only place they shuttle back and forth. If you have a minimum of 7 you could hire a minibus one way to other places but they don’t go back and forth unless you make an arrangement and have at least 7. Warwick is close so many drivers will drop there if you ask for an extra $2. This is a good option for those who want to do what we we call the beach walk between Warwick and Horseshoe. Get dropped off at Warwick and catch a return minibus at Horseshoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

To Horseshoe they shuttle back and forth until 5 or 5:30. Think of them a shared ride. They are easy to catch back, they pick up where you are let off at the beach. So as soon as they fill, about 5 to 10 minutes they leave. Horseshoe is the only place they shuttle back and forth. If you have a minimum of 7 you could hire a minibus one way to other places but they don’t go back and forth unless you make an arrangement and have at least 7. Warwick is close so many drivers will drop there if you ask for an extra $2. This is a good option for those who want to do what we we call the beach walk between Warwick and Horseshoe. Get dropped off at Warwick and catch a return minibus at Horseshoe.

Thanks!  That sounds like a great option.

How long is the walk from Warwick to Horseshoe?  Difficult?

It is about a mile and a quarter. It really is a beautiful walk. Much along the beach but some parts behind the beach some on paths on the dunes. The tides affect when an where you have to take a dune path. Great views from the dunes. It is not difficult. I would say moderate. It can be done fast in an hour or less but I usually take a more mindful walk. Stopping in the small coves.

Or the walk from Horseshoe to the lighthouse? smile.png&key=9e403a54a82bc4d7f0258896091d6037662e2646f91ec13f85e401e7cc8bce54

That is something I advise against. The South Road is winding, with no sidewalks or shoulders. Lots of traffic. One time I missed my bus stop and walked back one stop. Big mistake. Very stressful. Take a taxi or a public bus.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

That is something I advise against. The South Road is winding, with no sidewalks or shoulders. Lots of traffic. One time I missed my bus stop and walked back one stop. Big mistake. Very stressful. Take a taxi or a public bus.

Thanks for all your help!  When I looked on Google Maps, it looked like a pretty long walk.  Which public bus goes between the lighthouse and Horseshoe?

55 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Thanks for all your help!  When I looked on Google Maps, it looked like a pretty long walk.  Which public bus goes between the lighthouse and Horseshoe?

There is only one bus route that runs along the South Road, the #7. You need a token, pass, or exact change. Currency is not accepted on the public bus. You walk to the top of the hill from the beach and get any bus going west to get to Gibbs Lighthouse.The bus stops toward the Dockyard have a blue pole. Pink poles are toward Hamilton. Pay attention to that as it is easy to lose orientation as Bermuda is a left side driving country, the opposite of the US. Inform the bus driver you are going there. Most of the time they will remember to announce it if you ask. The Henry VIII restaurent is at the bus stop. From there is a relatively short walk  on Lighthouse Rd. Not much traffic so walking that road is not much of an issue except it is uphill. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

There is only one bus route that runs along the South Road, the #7. You need a token, pass, or exact change. Currency is not accepted on the public bus. You walk to the top of the hill from the beach and get any bus going west to get to Gibbs Lighthouse.The bus stops toward the Dockyard have a blue pole. Pink poles are toward Hamilton. Pay attention to that as it is easy to lose orientation as Bermuda is a left side driving country, the opposite of the US. Inform the bus driver you are going there. Most of the time they will remember to announce it if you ask. The Henry VIII restaurent is at the bus stop. From there is a relatively short walk  on Lighthouse Rd. Not much traffic so walking that road is not much of an issue except it is uphill. 

It sounds like we could take the public bus to Henry VIII stop to see the lighthouse, then take another bus from the lighthouse to Horseshoe, then take the shuttle back to port (or reverse the route if we want to do the beach first).  Is that right? 

You said exact change but no currency.  They do take cash as long as it's exact change?  If not, can we get the bus passes at the dockyard?  Sorry for all the questions.  We've taken the buses a lot in Nassau but it's our first time to Bermuda. :classic_smile:

I found this link for the buses so now I understand about the drivers not taking currency.  https://www.gotobermuda.com/sites/default/files/bermuda-bus-schedule_1.pdf

I buy the tokens which they sell at the Visitor Information Centres in the terminal building on the dock. 

The bus schedule is supposed to be totally changed from that one. As far as I know a final version of the new summer bus schedule is not out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mpdahmer said:

How does Horseshoe compare to other beaches? Is there food/drink available? Any other suggestions? We will be traveling in June.

Horseshoe Bay is one of Bermuda's beautiful pink sand beaches. It is the most well known. The water is clear. It is easy to get to. It is the most popular public beach. It has the best facilities, restrooms, food and beverages and also has  umbrella and chair rentals. There are many other beautiful beaches but they either don't have facilities, food, chair rentals or they are not public. 

Edited by Charles4515

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 8:58 AM, Charles4515 said:

At the current rates a taxi for 5 from the Dockyard to Horseshoe will be about $45. There is a 50% surcharge on Sundays and Holidays.  The shared ride minibuses cost $7 per person per ride. 

Are the Mini Buses $7 pp each way... or Round Trip?     Either way its cheaper than what the Cruise ship charges

Are the Mini Buses $7 pp each way... or Round Trip?     Either way its cheaper than what the Cruise ship charges

They are $7 pp each way.

The cruise lines excursions put you on minibuses that they have contracted. The only reason to use the cruise line for this is if you have onboard credit to use up.

• 4 weeks later...

We are a group of 10 so sounds like taxi's might be the best option.  My mother is fighting getting a knee replacement so mobility is an issue for her.  There's no way she can make it up a steep hill. I'm reading different reviews and so I just want to make sure we will get picked up at the bottom of said hill.  I don't want to have to leave her there lol.

We are a group of 10 so sounds like taxi's might be the best option.  My mother is fighting getting a knee replacement so mobility is an issue for her.  There's no way she can make it up a steep hill. I'm reading different reviews and so I just want to make sure we will get picked up at the bottom of said hill.  I don't want to have to leave her there lol.

Both the minibuses and taxis pick up at the bottom of the hill. Your choice. You would need two taxis but I would do the two taxis.

20 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Both the minibuses and taxis pick up at the bottom of the hill. Your choice. You would need two taxis but I would do the two taxis.

We are a group of 8 that want to go to Horseshoe beach. How many people do the mini buses hold? Does it pay to try to pre-book one of these?