NCL San Pedro Cruise terminal, Times ship has cleared for early walk off

crystalaziza

Anyone who has been on NCL recently know what time the ship has been cleared on average. I'm sailing in January and was wondering what kind of luck I'd have getting off the ship about 7:30a.m.  Please don't tar & feather me, there are few flights going back to the east coast that will work for us, & even though they are already booked, I want to ease my nerves. I know anything can happen at any time & we could be stuck out at sea playing tittily winks at 7:30 a.m. Just looking for time cleared history. We will be on the Gem returning (Sunday) 1/27 from the Mexican Rivera. No luggage to retrieve, just our carry ons. Thanks all in advance.

Sorry you haven't had any answers.

Folks will say it is "possible" to be off the ship between 7:30 and 8 but you never know.

What time is your flight and which airport? You may need to tell them on board about your early flight so that they can help you get off as quickly as possible.

52 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Sorry you haven't had any answers.

Folks will say it is "possible" to be off the ship between 7:30 and 8 but you never know.

What time is your flight and which airport? You may need to tell them on board about your early flight so that they can help you get off as quickly as possible.

Agree...the flight time is what is important, and whether or not you can realistically make it.

Thanks guys, My flight is at 10:35 a.m. out of LAX (Don't shoot me) to RDU & my sisters is at 12:53 p.m. to ROC. As I said there are not a lot of choices going back to the east coast. I plan on going to the Haven  concierge to set up a meet up at about 7 ish. I did this in Miami, was 1st off the ship when cleared at 7:25, had to actually wait for a taxi about 2 minutes because they were not even lined up yet, got to the airport through security and sitting at my gate 5 minutes before 8 a.m.. Do I expect this to happen at LAX? NO!! But I can run like the wind and as I said all our luggage is carry on, boarding passes printed out 24 hours prior to flight. It is what it is, and I accept the way the day falls for us and am hoping Luck will be hovering overhead on that morning. That lightning bolt that will be seen in the sky over LA that morning will of course be us!!!!!!!

10:35 is too tight. You might make it if you have a ride waiting...but LAX is a big airport, and security can be slow. 

You can't compare the situation getting to MIA from POM to the port in LA to LAX. It is about twice the travel time, and far more possibilities of traffic issues.

The good thing is that this is a Sunday morning so no commuter traffic to work that day.

Any other day of the week you'd have big traffic issues!

IF you can get off the ship that early you could have a uber/lyft car waiting as you could text them the minute the ship lets you go.

IF you are off at 7:30 you can be at LAX without traffic by 8:30(the latest) and through security by 9:30.

I'd not try this because it would ruin my trip to be that anxious about making my flight!

Good luck!!

Let us know what happens.

15 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

The good thing is that this is a Sunday morning so no commuter traffic to work that day.

Any other day of the week you'd have big traffic issues!

IF you can get off the ship that early you could have a uber/lyft car waiting as you could text them the minute the ship lets you go.

IF you are off at 7:30 you can be at LAX without traffic by 8:30(the latest) and through security by 9:30.

I'd not try this because it would ruin my trip to be that anxious about making my flight!

Good luck!!

Let us know what happens.

Thank You for the vote of confidence. I have sailed NCL many, many times and know all the possibilities. As I said there are very few flights back that will work for us. I do plan on being 1st off the ship, I have Uber on my phone, I have no luggage to retrieve, my boarding pass will already be printed out, I usually have TSA Pre-Check., so all these things are in my favor. A 6:a.m. or 11 p.m. flight will not work for me, so I am left biting the bullet. I am not comparing this to Miami, I just know that you have to make things work for you, and I am banking on Sunday morning little traffic, and the ship being cleared at a reasonable time, which is actually what my original post was asking about. I will let you know how I make out. Ships returning on Sundays don't leave a lot of wiggle room for me when I need to work on Monday, especially when you have to return from a time zone with a 3 hour difference. If I can be at my gate by 10:15, I'll be golden. I'll be in touch!!!

I am not sure how many times you have sailed this port. I have sailed it many times.  Some on this board who also advised against this early flight have also sailed this port.

I have seen things go right. I have also seen things go terribly wrong and have seen people screaming because they couldn't get off the ship and would miss their flight.

This is not NCL specific. Rather it is specific on the port and many other factors that are out of control of the cruise line.

It is similar to will you be OK if you fly in the day of the cruise. 

I would not do this and think you are making a terrible mistake and I have TSA pre check.

What I also have is a lot of experience about this port too.

Remember in the last response the key word is "if".

Oh well.

Keith

1 hour ago, crystalaziza said:

Well then, I guess I'll just have to cancel this cruise, because in order to do it, that was the only flight available that would work. & yes, you are correct I am NOT a Psychic.

Like you said, you already booked it! So what happens if you miss that flight? What is your back up plan? I think as long as you have a back up plan then don't be worried. 

I have a similar question - what would you all say would be the earliest flight time I could make out of Long Beach airport? I am considering disembarking in San Pedro and then flying to Seattle to embark on another ship up to Vancouver....doable? Too risky?

3 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I have a similar question - what would you all say would be the earliest flight time I could make out of Long Beach airport? I am considering disembarking in San Pedro and then flying to Seattle to embark on another ship up to Vancouver....doable? Too risky?

I would say around 11:15 is the earliest I would go with just to play it safe.  Could you make something earlier?  Probably. but I just wouldn't take a chance as I have seen to many things go wrong at this port.

Keith

10 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I would say around 11:15 is the earliest I would go with just to play it safe.  Could you make something earlier?  Probably. but I just wouldn't take a chance as I have seen to many things go wrong at this port.

Keith

Thanks - I'm inclined to agree. It seemed like a pretty good idea but the more I thought about it, the more stressful it became!! I think we will just fly home from LA!

• 2 months later...

O.K. for all guessing on whether or not I made my 10:35 a.m. flight out of LAX to RDU, here is how it went; I was first off the ship by 7:30 a.m., had a pre scheduled Uber waiting for us for 7:50 - 8:00 a.m. drove us to the airport, dropped me off at Delta, went through TSA (pre-check) and got to my gate right at 8:30. 2 Hours to spare. I found LAX to be a very easy airport to navigate. 

Could I ask what the uber cost you?    I am trying ro decide between Uber and the NCL transfer.    I am not flying out of LAX on disembarkation but renting a car from Thrifty rental at LAX.    I am staying in California for a few days before heading backto the east coast.