Apple watch

lbfluffy

I have an Apple Watch with cellular. I just got it and am excited to get my activity in. I do not want to use my cellular or internet so that I don’t get charged. Is it best to turn the cellular off and put it in Airplane mode? Will I still get my rings? I’m so technology challenged, but my hubby wanted to get me something for Christmas, I know early but he does that.  

I have an earlier version, but I put my Apple Watch on Airplane mode and then make sure the Bluetooth is still on/ or turn Bluetooth on.  I do this so my Apple Watch is still paired with my cell phone.  

Do you you have any time changes on your cruise?

Just put your iPhone in Airplane mode, and the watch will automatically go into Airplane mode as well.   I have cruised several times with my iWatch and iPhone and I do that each trip.   

When I hit a port with wifi or I have cell service, I turn off Airplane mode and everything syncs up.

You can also put your iPhone into Airplane mode by swiping up (on the clock face) and clicking on the Airplane icon.

Edited by Valiamo

6 hours ago, lbfluffy said:

I have an Apple Watch with cellular. I just got it and am excited to get my activity in. I do not want to use my cellular or internet so that I don’t get charged. Is it best to turn the cellular off and put it in Airplane mode? Will I still get my rings? I’m so technology challenged, but my hubby wanted to get me something for Christmas, I know early but he does that.  

Apple Watches with cellular (LTE), both the Series 3 and the new Series 4, do not roam outside your carriers coverage area. Absolutly no need to put the watch into airplane mode.  You won't get any data charges. The Apple Watch radios in the current models don't support international cell roaming. Maybe a future Apple Watch will but they don't now.

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Apple Watches with cellular (LTE), both the Series 3 and the new Series 4, do not roam outside your carriers coverage area. Absolutly no need to put the watch into airplane mode.  You won't get any data charges. The Apple Watch radios in the current models don't support international cell roaming. Maybe a future Apple Watch will but they don't now.

Thats great to know

4 hours ago, lbfluffy said:

Thank you. Yes we have time changes on our cruise so my husband will wear is other watch as well.

I change my IPhone (in airplane mode) by turning off set automatic  and select the time zone manually. This updates my watch.  I have to change it each time the ship’s time changes.  Settings/General/Date &Time.

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

I change my IPhone (in airplane mode) by turning off set automatic  and select the time zone manually. This updates my watch.  I have to change it each time the ship’s time changes.  Settings/General/Date &Time.

Great suggestion. Thank you

I do have the next to latest generation of the Apple Watch (eg,. mine doesn't take EKG's) so am very familiar with this and took it to Europe and on a few cruises.

No need to place it on airport mode except when you are flying.

You will not receive calls as has been mentioned outside of your carriers network so in most cases that means no calls outside the USA.

Love the iWatch.

Keith