10th Anniversary Cruise on Harmony or Escape?

PGPrendy

Hi everyone!  

My husband and I are deciding on our 10th anniversary cruise, which will take place in October 2019, and we would like input, preferably from those who've cruised on NCL Escape and RCCL Harmony of the Seas.  We are looking at 7-day cruises on both, and are planning to have a vow renewal ceremony attended by 3 to 6 guests, 2 of whom are our children, ages 4 and 8.  

Escape is doing 3 days in Bermuda, and Harmony is doing San Juan, St. Maarten, and Labadee.  Bermuda would be new to us.  Labadee is also new for us.  We have been to San Juan and St. Maarten before.  We prefer warm weather for this occasion and for our cruises in general.  

Pricing, based on the room categories we are looking at, is comparable, however, Harmony will require airfare, while we can easily drive to the Escape.  

We will be sailing with our two sons, ages 4 and 8, and they will room with grandma.  So, we are looking for a cruise that will appeal to all of us.  I have sailed 9 times before, and my husband has sailed 8 times before, and we have done NCL and RCCL one time each, but on older ships, and while we liked both of those cruises, we cannot honestly compare those experiences.  Also, our most recent sailing with our boys and grandma was on the Disney Dream, so I am hoping that what we select won't disappoint in the realm of activities for our boys.  We had our family time on Disney and, at the same time, easily had adult time because the Oceaneer's Club kept our son occupied for much of the day. 

We have eyed a few Disney options for our amniversary, but the cost of the vow renewal pushes that option out of our preferred price range. 

So, all that being said, between Harmony and Escape, which one would you select, and why?

Thanks, in advance, for your time and input.  

Peta.  

Bermuda is safe and beautiful, but essiesmom is correct - it’s not warm.  We went there after our wedding in July since the Caribbean would have been too hot.  Also, we’ve been told by crew members that sailing from ny can be really choppy and chilly in October.  No personal experience with these cruises yet but it does seem quite possible.  

I have not been on NCL so cannot comment on the ship. I have not been on Harmony, but have sailed on Oasis and Allure several times. Those ships are the same class as Harmony, with Harmony being the newer version with a few differences. Your kids will love Harmony. There is tons for kids to do on board, and RCCL does have a very good kids program, with supervised kids only areas.

With respect to sailing from/to New York ... I have sailed out of Bayonne on board Anthem of the Seas (granted it was a January) and the seas were indeed very rough leaving the port, and returning. Sometimes that can just be luck of the draw based on weather though.

If it was up to me, I would go with Harmony

• 2 weeks later...