Trip Insurance?

sevenfish

Hi All.  Looking for advice on trip insurance.  There are 13 of us sailing with Norwegian in March and we are wanting to purchase trip insurance.  What is the best way to do this? We are wanting it in case we have to cancel for some unexpected reason. Norwegian quoted me 179. pp for first 2 people per cabin and 99. for 3rd and 4th people in the cabin.  Is there a cheaper way to get insurance?  Thanks for our responses and help! Very much appreciated!

46 minutes ago, sevenfish said:

Hi All.  Looking for advice on trip insurance.  There are 13 of us sailing with Norwegian in March and we are wanting to purchase trip insurance.  What is the best way to do this? We are wanting it in case we have to cancel for some unexpected reason. Norwegian quoted me 179. pp for first 2 people per cabin and 99. for 3rd and 4th people in the cabin.  Is there a cheaper way to get insurance?  Thanks for our responses and help! Very much appreciated!

Why would you purchase insurance from the company against which you might file a claim???

Seriously, do some comparison shopping since cruise line policies generally have woefully inadequate coverages. You can check with a broker like insuremytrip. But even then recognize that, while price may be the same as buying direct from the insurer, a broker's coverage may have some slight differences.

As for cost, a general rule for a decent comprehensive (medical/travel) cruise specific policy will run you 10%+\- of the cost of the cruise. 

Remember that, if anyone is on Medicare, it does not work once you leave the US (unless you have supplemental coverage that converts for foreign travel).

Also, pay attention to purchase/payment deadline dates if you want a waiver of preexisting conditions.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Why would you purchase insurance from the company against which you might file a claim???

Seriously, do some comparison shopping since cruise line policies generally have woefully inadequate coverages. You can check with a broker like insuremytrip. But even then recognize that, while price may be the same as buying direct from the insurer, a broker's coverage may have some slight differences.

As for cost, a general rule for a decent comprehensive (medical/travel) cruise specific policy will run you 10%+\- of the cost of the cruise. 

Remember that, if anyone is on Medicare, it does not work once you leave the US (unless you have supplemental coverage that converts for foreign travel).

Also, pay attention to purchase/payment deadline dates if you want a waiver of preexisting conditions.

Totally agree with Flatbush Flyer.

I suggest you contact a travel insurance broker such as

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL them; don't rely upon online summaries, as the fine print can really matter.

They'll help you find a suitable policy from a reputable insurer.

GC

First step:  Understand that "insurance" is a wager that you make to mitigate against financial loss from a covered event.

Next: Define for yourself what you wish to insure against.  From your simple description, it sounds like you want to insure against any financial loss for cancelling a cruise for any reason, not just for medical issues.  Is that the case?  If so, know that "any reason" policies are usually significantly more than for "medical reasons" coverage.

Next: Are there any other issues that you wish to insure against?  Trip delay/interruption?  Luggage loss?  Medical services?  Medical evacuation?  Provider insolvency?  Other?

Next: Once you have defined what you wish to cover against, determine how much insurance you wish to purchase.  Varying levels of reimbursement coverage cost varying amounts of premium.

Next:  Shop various brokers to see what the costs are for the coverage you desire.  Be sure to check the details of the policy to be sure that your desired coverage is actually provided.  This means - READ THE FINE PRINT.  Yes, it's work, but when the excrement contacts the impeller, the actual terms and conditions are governing law, not what any agent or salesman may have told you.

Next:  Make your own risk management decision on a cost/benefit basis.  What is your risk tolerance level?   What is the value you place on the insurance compared to the cost?   Yes...more work.

Finally:  Having taken these steps, buy your preferred policy.  Print out the full terms and conditions and keep them with you.  And if needed, follow the procedures spelled out in the T&C.

Probably not the quick simple answer you wanted.  But leaving out any of these steps may result in an unsatisfactory situation if you need to make a claim.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It may not be perfect but for some passenger it really may be the more affordable option (such as the elderly, I understand that third party insurance can be pricey for them). (And the cruise line it should be remembered isn't issuing the insurance, the policies are underwritten by an insurance firm.)

For the rest of us third party insurance (we use www.insuremytrip.com to identify a policy) is the most affordable way to go. 

2 hours ago, sevenfish said:

Seems a little high. We used insuremytrip.com and paid $226.00 for two of us for a 12 night cruise and international airfare and 3 nights hotel stay, I think I used 8000.00 as total trip cost for 16 days away.  Paid a little extra to beef up the medical as we are both on social security and they don't pay outside of the US. This was not a cancel for any reason policy. 

7 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Seems a little high. We used insuremytrip.com and paid $226.00 for two of us for a 12 night cruise and international airfare and 3 nights hotel stay, I think I used 8000.00 as total trip cost for 16 days away.  Paid a little extra to beef up the medical as we are both on social security and they don't pay outside of the US. This was not a cancel for any reason policy. 

Actually, $226 sounds almost too good to be true if you purchased a decent comprehensive (trip protect and medical) policy for an $8k trip. You may want to check back in with insuremytrip.

Before you go shopping, know what you want. 14 in a number of cabins, if one can't go are the other 13 canceling? Do you want policy in case of medical issue or cancel for any reason? You need to know this before shopping.

26 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Actually, $226 sounds almost too good to be true if you purchased a decent comprehensive (trip protect and medical) policy for an $8k trip. You may want to check back in with insuremytrip.

It s too good to be true. Actual cost was $298 with Allianz for $6000 purchased through insuremytrip.com last July. Things become more clear when you take the time to check what you did.

5 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

It s too good to be true. Actual cost was $298 with Allianz for $6000 purchased through insuremytrip.com last July. Things become more clear when you take the time to check what you did.

Still could be a bargain depending on your age and which level of Allianz you bought.

Some "cruise specific" policies have additional coverages for things like "missed ports" compensation. Beyond PEC waivers, we always look for insurers who are "primary  payers" and who include insured person's choice of facility for med evac from the initial emergency facility. On the other hand, "bargain" policies can have quite a few restrictions/exclusionsf . 

And let me add a caveat: if you happen to be a "senior citizen," expect to pay 8-10% of the trip cost for a good comptrehrnsive policy.

12 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Because the insurance it written by an insurance company, not the cruise line.

Yes, they tend to be lower coverage than 3rd party insurance, but if you are fairly old, they may be MUCH cheaper (they do not underwrite by age unlike 3rd party).

And our experience with them is that they pay claims prompted, and even intervened to negotiate a rate within the coverage limits for my mother's medical evacuation.

11 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

First step:  Understand that "insurance" is a wager that you make to mitigate against financial loss from a covered event.

Next: Define for yourself what you wish to insure against.  From your simple description, it sounds like you want to insure against any financial loss for cancelling a cruise for any reason, not just for medical issues.  Is that the case?  If so, know that "any reason" policies are usually significantly more than for "medical reasons" coverage.

Next: Are there any other issues that you wish to insure against?  Trip delay/interruption?  Luggage loss?  Medical services?  Medical evacuation?  Provider insolvency?  Other?

Next: Once you have defined what you wish to cover against, determine how much insurance you wish to purchase.  Varying levels of reimbursement coverage cost varying amounts of premium.

Next:  Shop various brokers to see what the costs are for the coverage you desire.  Be sure to check the details of the policy to be sure that your desired coverage is actually provided.  This means - READ THE FINE PRINT.  Yes, it's work, but when the excrement contacts the impeller, the actual terms and conditions are governing law, not what any agent or salesman may have told you.

Next:  Make your own risk management decision on a cost/benefit basis.  What is your risk tolerance level?   What is the value you place on the insurance compared to the cost?   Yes...more work.

Finally:  Having taken these steps, buy your preferred policy.  Print out the full terms and conditions and keep them with you.  And if needed, follow the procedures spelled out in the T&C.

Probably not the quick simple answer you wanted.  But leaving out any of these steps may result in an unsatisfactory situation if you need to make a claim.

Very good.

I only insure against unforeseen things.   Medical expenses and medical evacuation.  The things that could cost a LOT of money.

The cruise it paid for.  If I miss it, I will be unhappy, but I will not be financially devastated.

By not covering the cruise, I can get insurance for about $32 per cruise.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

My thoughts exactly.

WAY too low of a price.  

Yeap, just ran the coverage for 2 people, age 65, $8000 trip cost, and the lowest was $440 and went up to over $800.