Type 1 diabetes and cruising

SoberJulie

Any T1D’s that have any helpful tips I may not have considered?

This is our first time travelling with the Type 1 diagnosis in tow. 

-I’m not concerned about insulin and supplies, we’ll pack double what is needed and split it up between 2 carry-ons. I’ve purchased frio’s and cold packs. (Not on a pump, but do have a Libre flash Glucose monitor)

-We’ve purchased travel health insurance, have a list of all meds/supplies from the pharmacist and plan on carrying a Dr’s letter just in case. 

-Not concerned with food on the ship, it’s just like figuring out carb counts at home, only more delicious. 

-Slightly concerned about what kind of food/beverage supplies to take for port days. Do y’all just pack a couple granola bars and your candy/glucotabs just in case? I like the look of taking a water taxi to Klein Bonaire....except NO facilities on the island. How can we take a lunch? Going without just isn’t an option. 

Im sure there’s things I haven’t thought of. 

DS has cruised many times - biggest issue is the carb count can get big with the excellent breads and alcohol 😀.  We did a lovely snorkel trip with Woodwind Tours which takes you out to Kleina Bonaire to snorkel.  They had drinks available at all times and included a tasty meal - perhaps that would work.  Otherwise we also carry a small folding cooler and pick up any food after we disembark (other than prepackaged food we also carry).  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SoberJulie said:

Any T1D’s that have any helpful tips I may not have considered?

This is our first time travelling with the Type 1 diagnosis in tow. 

-I’m not concerned about insulin and supplies, we’ll pack double what is needed and split it up between 2 carry-ons. I’ve purchased frio’s and cold packs. (Not on a pump, but do have a Libre flash Glucose monitor)

-We’ve purchased travel health insurance, have a list of all meds/supplies from the pharmacist and plan on carrying a Dr’s letter just in case. 

-Not concerned with food on the ship, it’s just like figuring out carb counts at home, only more delicious. 

-Slightly concerned about what kind of food/beverage supplies to take for port days. Do y’all just pack a couple granola bars and your candy/glucotabs just in case? I like the look of taking a water taxi to Klein Bonaire....except NO facilities on the island. How can we take a lunch? Going without just isn’t an option. 

Im sure there’s things I haven’t thought of. 

If you've had any changes in your meds, treatment or diagnosis during the insurer's "look back period" (x months depending on company), your diabetes will be considered a "pre-existing condition." If so, hopefully you have a waiver, which is provided for policy purchase within a limited time frame from first deposit or prior to final payment (again, depending on company).

• Thanks 1

We travel with glucose tablets, gel and glucagon shots.  I always have at least one of these  with me on our excursions including maybe a small bottle of coke and some candy.  I will also grab an apple or some other fruit from the breakfast buffet and keep it with us. For river cruises I also have made sure we had some fruit, candy and soda in the cabin since he generally has a snack before bed or if there was a low sugar problem during the night.  Not as concerned about the food on the ocean trip coming up since they serve snacks, there's 24 hour room service and there's a stocked fridge in the room.    The time changes and excursions can mess up my husbands numbers and I've had to deal with low blood sugar more than I care to think about

7 minutes ago, Mr Beans said:

We travel with glucose tablets, gel and glucagon shots.  I always have at least one of these  with me on our excursions including maybe a small bottle of coke and some candy.  I will also grab an apple or some other fruit from the breakfast buffet and keep it with us. For river cruises I also have made sure we had some fruit, candy and soda in the cabin since he generally has a snack before bed or if there was a low sugar problem during the night.  Not as concerned about the food on the ocean trip coming up since they serve snacks, there's 24 hour room service and there's a stocked fridge in the room.    The time changes and excursions can mess up my husbands numbers and I've had to deal with low blood sugar more than I care to think about

Great info, thank you. 

Hubby was only diagnosed T1 (LADA) so in many ways we are still learning to incorporate it into our lives. It affects EVERYTHING. 

I think we’ll use one of our phones for his basal alarm, and not change the time to match the ship/ports. Then the other phone we’ll set to port times so we don’t miss our ship! 

We don’t drink alcohol so thankfully that’s not an extra puzzle piece to deal with. 

And bonus: I was at a bulk food store yesterday and they were handing out little packets of honey and maple syrup! I sweet-talked myself into a pile of them. 🙂

My husband does change the time on his pump and he's usually ok with that because he's eating every 4 to 5 hours (except at night hence the snack). You should probably talk with the dr about any specific concerns about potential dosage changes.   I would also try to make sure you pack an extra bottle of insulin, I've known people who have dropped and broken a bottle on vacation.  He also will sometimes adjust his amount of insulin and take a little less if he knows he's going to be doing physical work (or for a trip, extra walking).  I also pack snacks and food for the airport and plane because there are often delays or times when he just needs something.

Not diabetic, but chiming in about sharps container.  Just got off of Carnival on Nov. 4th.  I have to administer injections of methotrexate. It was very easy to get a sharps container I just called my room steward and when I came back to the room later that day it was there.  Let guest services know he is diabetic so they will have it on record. 

• 4 weeks later...

one of our friends cruises with her mom who has type 1. She doesn't have problems with food and desserts on Princess and Celebrity, but we recently went with them on Norwegian Jade, and desserts in MDR were "no sugar added" rather than sugar-free. She was very disappointed.

P.S. Mom is her late 70s and is quite used to handling her type 1...