Insurance policies for diff cruise fares

crustyfam5

My family and in-laws are booked on a cruise in an 8-person suite.  The way they do the pricing is that the 1st person is ~$6700, 2nd is $2700, and the remaining 6 are $378.  My in-laws are from a different state, so we have to have 2 different policies.  We cannot afford to go if my in-laws need to cancel for some reason.  Insurance companies are telling me that the claim amount would have to match the receipts, as opposed to splitting the total into 8 portions.  What experience have you had with that?  

My in-laws are currently listed as the 1st and 2nd person, but to insure that much money will cost over $3000 given their age.  I can move things around to get the amount at least partially distributed, but one insurance company suggested opening different policies for the larger 2.  Do I really need 4 policies?  Please tell me it doesn't have to be this complicated!

Thanks in advance.

33 minutes ago, crustyfam5 said:

My family and in-laws are booked on a cruise in an 8-person suite.  The way they do the pricing is that the 1st person is ~$6700, 2nd is $2700, and the remaining 6 are $378.  My in-laws are from a different state, so we have to have 2 different policies.  We cannot afford to go if my in-laws need to cancel for some reason.  Insurance companies are telling me that the claim amount would have to match the receipts, as opposed to splitting the total into 8 portions.  What experience have you had with that?  

My in-laws are currently listed as the 1st and 2nd person, but to insure that much money will cost over $3000 given their age.  I can move things around to get the amount at least partially distributed, but one insurance company suggested opening different policies for the larger 2.  Do I really need 4 policies?  Please tell me it doesn't have to be this complicated!

Thanks in advance.

I strongly suggest that you contact a travel insurance broker such as

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

But CALL them; don't rely upon the online summaries of various policies.  The fine print can *really* matter.
And in your case, you really have a very specific situation to discuss.

There is no extra charge to use a broker.  They'll help you find the right policy (and structure for your situation) from the right insurer.

GC

• Thanks 1

I agree with discussing this with a broker.  But one thing that can be done is to put the two youngest adults as the first two occupants in the suite.  It won’t change the price of the cruise but the lower age will result in a cheaper insurance cost for the two high fares.  And yes, if people live in different states you will need separate policies.

• 1 month later...

A belated thank you to everyone for the information.  I did end up using Squaremouth as a broker and they were wonderful.  We ended up using different underwriters for my family and my in-laws because of fare differences - they are elderly and we have children. 

One piece of advice - if possible find out which company is the most flexible.  It's a long story, but our cruise was canceled, and when we booked another cruise with different amounts, my in-laws' policy (Seven Corners) had to be changed and we had to pay more money for less coverage.  For our policy (Traveler's Insured) we got a refund for the decrease in coverage!  They were wonderful.  They were also able to indicate on the policy what the different coverages per person should be (since my daughters were cheaper), instead of automatically splitting the total equally amongst everyone on the policy, which led us to open multiple policies.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crustyfam5 said:

A belated thank you to everyone for the information.  I did end up using Squaremouth as a broker and they were wonderful.  We ended up using different underwriters for my family and my in-laws because of fare differences - they are elderly and we have children. 

One piece of advice - if possible find out which company is the most flexible.  It's a long story, but our cruise was canceled, and when we booked another cruise with different amounts, my in-laws' policy (Seven Corners) had to be changed and we had to pay more money for less coverage.  For our policy (Traveler's Insured) we got a refund for the decrease in coverage!  They were wonderful.  They were also able to indicate on the policy what the different coverages per person should be (since my daughters were cheaper), instead of automatically splitting the total equally amongst everyone on the policy, which led us to open multiple policies.

Was that "Traveler's Insured" or "Travel Insured"?

If there is a different one with a similar name, maybe we should look into it.

All hints are always welcomed.

I didn't know about a refund of premium in a case like this.

We've only cancelled and had insurance ''switched" when it was only the deposit that was "covered", so we hadn't encountered this.

Glad it worked out so well!

GC

18 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Was that "Traveler's Insured" or "Travel Insured"?

If there is a different one with a similar name, maybe we should look into it.

All hints are always welcomed.

I didn't know about a refund of premium in a case like this.

We've only cancelled and had insurance ''switched" when it was only the deposit that was "covered", so we hadn't encountered this.

Glad it worked out so well!

GC

It is Travel Insured International.  They told me that they understand that there can be changes in plans.  All that being said, I haven't gotten the refund yet, but I imagine it can take some time.  If this all comes out, they will have my business forever!

• Like 1